Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Infiniti plans to charge a $3,000 premium for the QX60 Hybrid. Drivers covering 12,000 miles per year may save nearly 110 gallons of premium fuel, or about $440 annually. That means the QX60 Hybrid's more expensive powertrain pays for itself in about 7 years.

That's quite a few years to recoup your money back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you already hit the nail on the head with your post. You don't really get a savings by buying hybrid. You save on fuel with the increased mpg but you have to pay 3k more.

Unless you have more environmental concerns, than there really is no point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it's a no brainer here.

The outgoing 2013 Infiniti JX35 is current priced at $40 000, so adding $3000 on top of that for the hybrid model won't change my monthly payments much. With the hybrid drivetrain we'll be getting an extra 5 MPG's, seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose, by splitting it up into monthly installments, the costs don't seem to be significant. I would still wait to hear about how the hybrid performs before committing.

The money spent on the difference can still be used for other expenses like fuel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How good is Infiniti's hybrid technology. I hear quality of hybrid tech can depend on the automaker. How does Infiniti's stack up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The QX60 hybrid will be the first vehicle to carry Nissan's new four-cylinder based hybrid system. The powertrain mixes a supercharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with an electric motor which is sandwiched between the engine and a CVT. A lithium ion battery pack behind the third row provides juice to the electric motor, and is replenished by a regenerative-braking setup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How good is Infiniti's hybrid technology. I hear quality of hybrid tech can depend on the automaker. How does Infiniti's stack up?
No where as good as what Lexus and Toyota has, I would say Nissan/Infiniti's Hybrid system may still be in beta mode and wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of issues with it.

for now Toyota > Nissan when it comes to Hybrid drivetrains.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I'm a bit of a Buick fan and was hoping Buick would get into the Hybrid vehicle market but they haven't even touched it. Only cool thing they did was some performance with the new Verano. The Buick Enclave is a direct competitor to the QX60 and if it had a Hybrid powertrain then the QX60 might be in a bit more trouble.

For now I see the premium from going from a QX60 petrol to Hybrid as the best yet, all other car makers have some ridicilous $10k premium which takes 7-10 years or more to break even on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No where as good as what Lexus and Toyota has, I would say Nissan/Infiniti's Hybrid system may still be in beta mode and wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of issues with it.

for now Toyota > Nissan when it comes to Hybrid drivetrains.
x2

just give Nissan some time to prove they can build a good hybrid system. toyota just has numbers, way more than nissan so the ball is in their court and will be for a while. won't be surprised if the QX60 hybrid has more problems than the regular QX60

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm starting to think most people will get the hybrid option over the petrol. Which I think makes sense especially with SUVs. Hybrid engines reduce the amount of gas used which SUVs are known for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With 26 mpg combined for the hybrid versus 20 mpg on the petrol version. Do you guys think it is enough of a difference to pay an extra 3k?

·
Registered
295 Posts
With 26 mpg combined for the hybrid versus 20 mpg on the petrol version. Do you guys think it is enough of a difference to pay an extra 3k?
only if you plan to own the JX/Qx60 for a long time. 26 MPG still isn't that great but better than 20 obviously, i think they still need to improve on hybrid MPG's. 10 more over a 100% petrol model would be better.

but I think we need to do the math to really find out, numbers help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i do a lot of highway driving so my combined gas mileage number will be a bit higher than 26 making the extra $3k worth it for me.
also intending on keeping the QX60 hybrid for at least 3 years. could be saving or just break even in the end

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
Too Late

If they would have had the Hybrid when the JX first came out, I would have considered it, but I'm so happy with the car, I think it will be hanging around here for some time to come.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
If they would have had the Hybrid when the JX first came out, I would have considered it, but I'm so happy with the car, I think it will be hanging around here for some time to come.

Since you already have an Infiniti JX you might as well test drive the QX60 Hybrid when it comes out and tell us how you like it compared to the JX you currently own! Maybe you might like the QX60 hybrid enough to make the switch?

·
Registered
295 Posts
yup, one year too late, would have been better if they just released the hyrbid JX when the JX first released. But better late than never. Im sure future QX60 hybrid owners will be some of the happiest 7 seater SUV owners come late 2013 to 2014 :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
You have the 2012 JX? Are you already thinking of upgrading?

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
You have the 2012 JX? Are you already thinking of upgrading?
I won't be upgrading at this time. I love the JX and have gotten spoiled driving it. I get decent gas milage on long trips (better than 24 mpg), and in mixed driving, I'm getting between 18.9 and 21.1 mpg. I love the ride and comfort and have really gotten spoiled with the Infiniti Connection. Its so nice to be able to call them and have them set new destinations or new routes when traveling.

We had a 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum and loved it, but lost a chunk of change trading it in for the JX. Our dealership made it worth our while, but at this time, I can't see taking the hit trading in the JX for the new Hybrid QX60.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The sticker difference may be 3k, but I bet that you will be able to deal more aggressively on the non-hybrid, making the real difference more. Once the difference is 5k or 6k, there is no way I am paying that much extra for a hybrid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The sticker difference may be 3k, but I bet that you will be able to deal more aggressively on the non-hybrid, making the real difference more. Once the difference is 5k or 6k, there is no way I am paying that much extra for a hybrid.
I actually didn't think the price increase for the hybrid version was that much.

If you can negotiate hybrid or non-hybrid pricing down let us know what you get i'd be curious what your end MSRP is going to be like

1 - 20 of 38 Posts