Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi,
I dropped the glove box and its not there! Where the heck did they put it?

Rich
There are a bunch of posts how to access the cabin air filter.

To summarize, it's in between the driver and passenger footwell. You can access it from the passenger side, pulling the left false wall out, then it's at knee-height on the firewall (vertical door)

·
Registered
683 Posts
For some reason this site always puts my responses with URL's in "moderator review", but the mods never approve my posts.

Google this, it's the first result. It has pics and it's from the old JX35 Forum site.
"jx35 cabin filter infinitijxforum"

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jesus. For something that is changed somewhat regularly, why the heck would they make it so difficult to access? It's almost like they wanted to make it something for the dealer to do. Thanks for the video, I'm confident I'll be able to tackle this going forward by myself.

Reminds me of how Ford put the battery underneath the windshield in my wife's Escape. Had to take it to the dealer to change the battery as my local auto parts stores would not install the battery like they have always done for my other cars...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just tackled this and I was able to do it without removing the glove box. It took my about 5 minutes, if that, to do it. The hard part is getting it back in but if you position it right against the firewall, it will slide in with minimal bending of the filter. While at it, I replaced the air filter. I'm good for a few thousand miles now...until the next filter change.

AIR FILTER(MAINT-DIRTY) $ 69.95
CABIN AIR FILTER(MAINT-DUE)$ 115.00

Paid $25.96 for both filters at Auto Zone. They currently have a $5.00 off if you buy two STP filters.

Air Filter part #SA4309
Cabin Air Filter part #CAF1903P

·
Registered
140 Posts
For the record let me say that the engineer(s) that designed where this air filter is located should be taken out back, given a cigarette and promptly shot. :mad:

I just replaced the cabin filter on my 2015 without removing the glove box. It took me about 25 minutes, next time maybe it will take 15. If you can do it in 5 you are stud. Be prepared to kneel on the ground and shove your head and hand as far into the passenger foot well as you can because this thing is way in there. I'm sure my back will feel better in a couple of days...:|Here is what I did:

1) Watch the above video for visual references.
2) Remove the passenger side left vertical foot well rug piece - easy - it pops right out
3) Remove the cabin air filter door - easy - it has one clip on the bottom - the top of the door has a tab that just inserts into a slot at the top which you can't see. Upon replacement you can feel when the tab latches in at the top.
4) Pull out the old filter - this was the hardest part for me - I couldn't grab and pull it out because it is flush to the housing opening and I couldn't even see it without contorting. Using a flashlight and a mirror I finally was able to pinch it enough to grab it and yank it out. Whew! Pay attention to the direction of the arrow on the edge.
5) Make sure the arrow on the new filter is pointing toward the inside of the vehicle and insert the short width side into the housing. This was not as hard as taking out the old one. Just inch it in a bit at a time up and down trying not to distort its shape. I have big hands so reaching all the way up to push the top part in was a challenge but it finally got in there.
6) Replace the filter cover by finding the upper tab and slot by feel and then clip the bottom onto place.
7) Pop the rug side panel back into place.

Taking out the glove box will give you better visibility and a better angle pulling out the old and pushing in the new filter but the effort is not necessary. Also, after 5 or 10 filter replacements how many of those screws will eventually get stripped?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I replaced this God awful filter again. This time I took out the glove box. This process is still an unforgivable pain. ?

By taking out the 8 screws and glovebox you can actual see about 25% of the filter compartment after you shove your head in the glovebox cavity. Reaching the filter is a bit less painful. The good news is my arm is long enough to get in there. The bad news is that my hand is too big for the location and the top of my hand got all scratched up by some scratchy thing attached to the backside the down facing vent which is the piece that blocks your view at every angle.

My angst went to a new level this time. After pushing in the new filter I was straightening it out because you have to squish it into the opening because the filter edges are bigger than the opening. ? as I was doing this it popped into the filter chamber and out of sight which is double the thickness of the filter. The filter shifted toward the front of the car totally out of reach. If you think pulling out this filter is tricky, it is nothing than if it is pushed in too far as what I did. It took two hours on my knees, arm stretched all the way while scrapping the back of my hand on the heater box trying to figure out how to retrieve this thing. After trying several tools and finally a coat hanger I grabbed the filter and pulled it out destroying it in the process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts