Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
The extended interval oil retains is viscosity and other properties for 15K miles, but that doesn't mean it will be clean enough in 15K miles. The oil accumulates microscopic wear particles that that filter can't take out, and those cause wear. It's best to keep them flushed out with more frequent intervals.

Is synthetic at 5K intervals a waste? I don't think so, personally. We bought a 92 F250 truck brand new. It has a 460 cubic inch engine, a design that was notorious for being worn out at about 80K miles. We still have that truck, it has 132K miles on it now. I used synthetic every 5K, and it runs like new still. I know, because I have to do tail pipe emissions tests on it every year. It passes very easily.

I run my new motors for 10K miles to break them in, then switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The extended interval oil retains is viscosity and other properties for 15K miles, but that doesn't mean it will be clean enough in 15K miles. The oil accumulates microscopic wear particles that that filter can't take out, and those cause wear. It's best to keep them flushed out with more frequent intervals.

Is synthetic at 5K intervals a waste? I don't think so, personally. We bought a 92 F250 truck brand new. It has a 460 cubic inch engine, a design that was notorious for being worn out at about 80K miles. We still have that truck, it has 132K miles on it now. I used synthetic every 5K, and it runs like new still. I know, because I have to do tail pipe emissions tests on it every year. It passes very easily.

I run my new motors for 10K miles to break them in, then switch to synthetic.
Thank you! I appreciate it. We also have a 2004 4runner with about 160k miles on it and i have been using the synthetic oil and changing it every 10k. I also put the mobile 1 extended filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used 10w30 in the past. I live in southern illinois. Should I go to the 5w30? And also, what brand of regular oil do you like the best? I've used pennzoil in the past, but don't know if it's better or worse than others.

thanks yeller

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to ask.....Is it difficult to get to the oil filter to change it myself. I had a 2006 Escalade and the oil and filter were easy to change on it, however, our 2003 Infiniti G35 was difficult to change the oil filter on.

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts