Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

So I purchased a few DVDs for my son since all I had were Blu-rays. I also have a bunch of movies in digital format and I picked some 37 movies that I'd like to have in the car for traveling. Mix of kids stuff and some entertaining adult stuff.

I'm using WinFF to convert the files based on an online recommendation. So far, it's working alright. But it is crawlingly slow. It's been at it for 17 hours and it's only working on movie #8 now. I have an i7 processor and a nVidia GTX 970, so I refuse to accept this slow pace is normal. Is there a better (preferably free) Windows software for doing the conversions faster than what this is doing? I would like to have the option to convert additional TV shows or movies in the future and I can't imagine having to wait hours and hours every time.

So, what are we doing to enjoy the usb playback? Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Use Divx converter. You can find it on divx.com Super easy. Use the Home Theater profile and adjust the resolution.
just make sure it's 640x480 or some resolution not exceeding that. I recommend pumping up the bitrate to get a better image.
I think the USB maxes out at 64gb(?) or maybe 32gb. I know that it wouldn't read a high capacity drive or one that's usb 3.0. I might have tried a high capacity and 3.0 drive and it didn't work for me so I thought it was 3.0 was not compatible even though it should.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. Using that slow program my PC spent some 4 days non stop but I converted the 37 movies I wanted. I'll look at the DivX converter for future movies and cartoons for my kids.

Has anyone actually watched a movie all the way through without issues? We had two different movies playing and sometime around 80%-85% of the way, the movie just skipped to the next movie. Twice now. I checked the actual files and they're not truncated or damaged, they play fine on the PC all the way to the end. But the car has failed to finish the movies. It's a bit irritating and upset my son when he couldn't finish his movie.

Also, anyone know of a way to fast forward through the movie? Everything I've tried just skips folders or skips files, doesn't actually go forward in the file.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry looking at the manual for my Jx35, here are the specs of the files. I was wrong about the 640x480. 720x480 would work. But w/ asf, you can get to 576 so i might look for another converter that would do asf.

Resolution
.divx, .avi Minimum 32 x 32 Maximum 720 x 480
.asf Minimum 32 x 32 Maximum 720 x 576

Bit Rates .divx, .avi Maximum Average 4 Mbps Maximum Peak 8 Mbps

We don't have any problems w/ it skipping, only that sometimes it won't play because of the resolution being too high or a wrong format. I would try to do another conversion using divx converter and see if you get the same problem.

It could also be that you accidentally pushed the control on the steering wheel. That happens to me from time to time and then the kids get all grumpy as we can't get back to a spot.

No way to fast forward that I've found at all. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts