Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

What is the latest solution to convert to CarPlay?

47K views 71 replies 26 participants last post by  Sathish 
#1 ·
Want to keep the factory head unit, what are the current solutions out there?

#2 ·
I have zero experience with this item but it’s the best plug and play I’ve seen, as they say you pays your $ and you take your chances. If you try it please report back.

#3 ·
I have zero experience with this item but it’s the best plug and play I’ve seen, as they say you pays your $ and you take your chances. If you try it please report back.
I just installed carplay in my 2014 QX60 I used the GTA kit was the best value, don’t need extra modules for wireless, stock camera’s or rear seat monitors all stock equipment works as installed

#5 ·
No I did it myself worst part was putting the wires behind the unit, vid is on utube just use google type in gta carplay it will bring them up they have both a US office and Canadian office for shipping, the only thing I did different was I unclipped the original usb hooked it up as per vid and put in the console under the wood grain. I like things clean, I just found a plastic ruler cut a slot in it to hold the new usb plug in the hole, it wasn’t necessary as the plug is tight in the original hole, but keeps it in place, that took longer than installing it and no having to buy anything else unless your car has no camera you can add them and you can buy any camera you want to add, it Very easy to do. Only problem I had as mine is a 2014 was the rubber by the front power point getting the 3 tabs on the rubber hooked back in, secret is you don’t have to take it out or the front power point just the top plastic piece in that hole and start unclipping and taking screws out the 2 side finishing strips on the console will come out without undoing the screws, putting it back together line up the clips on the side panels start at front and just slap it when it’s in place and it all pops back in place. Hope that helps. I watched the vid 3 times and took my tablet in the laneway and if I had any questions just pulled up the vid, that was when I decided to move the original usb plug, plug it in as vid shows and leave under the console top and put new usb in the original hole, I hate drilling holes in a car if there is a way around it. Hope this helps, pretty easy job, don’t over think it like I do I alway think the worst lol. I would say if you have the basics in tools as vid shows, but no plastic panel tool use a butter knife, wife will look at you strange but they wash in the sink. Any other questions feel free to ask, I’ll answer as soon as I see the message

#8 ·
Just completed the install of the UNAVI Wireless CarPlay unit and it works quite well. Hard to believe life before CarPlay. It pretty much has a factory install feel. The sound comes from selecting the AUX channel on the dash and holding the Back button for a couple of seconds switches you into the familiar CarPlay screen. The Next and Volume switches on the steering wheel work as well. With Siri, I can actual tell her to call or text someone where the QX60 software was completely worthless with vocal commands.

The CarPlay connects to my iPhone in my pocket automatically in about 10 seconds when I turn on the car, My only gripe is that the Siri volume is lower than the CarPlay music which is a bit lower than Sirius/XM. I am getting used to turning down the volume before I switch to Sirius/XM.

Installation is more than a novice job IMO, Yanking out the console panels is a bit nerve racking as it feels like the panels and clips are going to bust off. Also, the video and instructions that came with the UNVAI are typical in that they are made for a variety of Nissan models so you need your wits about you as you plug in the 7 or 8 patch cables that come with the kit.

#11 · (Edited)
saw this system a few weeks ago. looks like the best one out there... anyone?

#15 ·
Installed the uNavi system yesterday:
Very nice kit there are no leftover parts and the cables/wires are good sizes for the job and space available
Some install observations
Go slowly so as not to damage things along the way using a philips head screwdriver that has a magnetic tip is a huge help, dropping screws down into the console etc can be a frustrating experience
Key areas when you get to the display and add the second board be sure to check all your new/old ribbons for correct attachment. It will save you taking it apart two more times. Get all your wires together including the two from the monitor and electrical tape the whole bunch to pass it down thru the console
What took the most time for me was passing the wire bundle down (gorilla hands)don’t work well in tight spaces.
And the display, again big hands small pieces. I needed a job specific tool and did not have it.

The unit is wireless or wired and works very well, should have done this sooner. More thoughts as I accumulate them.

#19 · (Edited)
Has anyone bought a unavi-usa for the 2013 JX35?

A few observations from their website:
  • a "JX35/JX55" compatible unit is available, but there is no such thing as a JX55. JX35 was only produced for 2013, then switched to QX60 in 2014.
  • 2014 QX60 has the same head unit as 2013 JX35. So why aren't JX35 and QX60 listed together?

So, should I select JX35/JX55 or the 2014 QX60? $700 is a lot of money to guess.

#35 ·
Call UNavi directly and they will advise you which one to get. Plus before they ship the order they sent me a text message confirming my vehicle model and if I have navigation. So far everything work great and I am pretty happy. Also I did self install as I am not willing to pay additional $$$ to 3rd party and I can say it was pretty straight forward install.

#20 ·
As said above I have had a careers worth of experience with this item, after texting with tech support I feel I have what Humvet mentioned above and missed a plug connector. However the system works very well and I have no problems with it picking up my phone each time. I followed Humvets advice and disconnected my phone from the factory Bluetooth. I will report back on my thoughts after I search out the missing link.
Yeller sorry I can’t give you advice on your issues, but try contacting them they are quite responsive and fairly quick

#21 ·
I just put in the Unavi system this weekend. Opening up the DCU to install a sub-board was a new experience, and honestly not sure I would do it again. I had to plug in the touch screen ribbon twice, and I was being careful (I thought). That being said the videos were very good.
Taking apart the dash was actually the easiest part in my opinion. If you watch the video you can pull where they pull and things pop right off. I did lose a screw like mentioned above into the back abyss, even with a magnetic screw driver, so be careful. Putting the wires through the back was a slow process so be patient with it.
I really struggled on reassembly on the dash. They do not have a video for reassembly that I could find. So having the confidence to push or pull in certain areas was gone. I also mounted the DCU incorrectly (it was low, and had to be tucked into the dash and slid up). I was able to put the dash back together despite this until the bottom piece which would not fit until I pulled it all apart again, and mounted the DCU properly. It took me 8 - 10 hours at least. My recommendation is if you can find a shop that does it, pay the money. You can DIY, but be prepared it's a long process. I am super happy with the outcome though, and I don't think we will use the Infiniti features for the phone at all anymore. I followed Humvet's advice and took the phones off the Infiniti bluetooth. It was worth the money and time for me.

#24 ·
Check this out
I installed this 12" Android Nav with Apple Car Play on my 2016 QX60 works great !!

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Mode of transport Automotive lighting

#31 ·
I’ll answer the phone ? This is what I do I change audio from FM to IPod, flip the screen from Infiniti to CarPlay and answer. Average time to change 3rings.
I have my phone disconnected from the factory system, it is only connected to CarPlay. The connection to CarPlay is more seamless than in my wife’s 2020 Audi.

#33 · (Edited)
So which product is better between GTA and Unavi?. GTA cost seem to be lower and GTA install is easier since you don't have to open the LCP panel.
I am trying to install on my 2014 QX60 with Navi. I also currently have install the GPS bypass from CatKitCompany.
Also wondering what is the aux speaker use for in the Unavi system?

#38 ·
No one responded to this so I went ahead and purchase Unavi.
Results :
  • Install was easy and straight forward. I did self install as I do not feel like paying additional $$$ to 3rd party
  • Took me 2 hrs for my 19yrs old son to install and I supervise, if I had to do it myself probably take 1 hr or less.
  • The product work well with my GPS bypass item that I had previously installed.
  • Wish there are more clear instruction on how to remove the panel and complete the install from UNavi but their goal are not for DIY install so have to look at other video on how to removed the panel (if you have not done it before).
  • Tech support (trough WhatsApp) are very responsive.
  • Now we have great wireless carplay installed on my 2014 QX16 and better than my ford which need wired connection.

#36 · (Edited)
Unavi sold the tool as well. However in my opinion you can just use any tool. The reason they use plastic tool so it will not make any scratches to your units. When I did my install I did not use any of the plastic tool and just use my hand. At some area it is harder to pull but just need to give a bit of force to open the paneling.

#40 ·
I got UNAVI installed on my 2019 Infiniti QX60 installed, and here is what I found, not sure if it's expected or not. 1. Dashboard control button doesn't work, you have to use the touch screen. 2. Change volume will displayed on the carplay screen which is good, I am not sure why it doesn't shown in this video, but it works for me, however, the AC is not shown, you can still use the Climate button to turn on/off AC while in carplay mode, but nothing shown in the screen, meaning you don't know the temperature or fan speed etc, you have to change to OEM UI to see it. 3. Wheel steering control partially working, you can change the volume up and down, or next/previous songs, but the return button doesn't work, I meant doesn't do "return" function, it only works to switch between OEM and carplay mode while you hold it for 3 seconds. Hope this helps to anything who interested in UNVAI.

#41 ·
Great review, it's hard to hear about what doesn't work, which you summarized nicely.

I've heard from previous posts some OEM functionality doesn't port to the Carplay screen. Users get used to this, saying you'll get comfortable switching back/forth between screens. Did you reach out to UNAVI to ask about missing/lacking functionality, to ensure it was installed correctly?

#47 ·
When I bought my UNavi, I also looked at GTA they were virtually the same unit. As I watch the Nifty City install video I really feel they are all the same unit, $ would be my guide. I have no direct experience with rear seat theater so I can’t speak to that at all. But I can have CarPlay on while using the OEM fm radio. Maybe another reader has theater experience
Best Wishes

#49 ·
When I bought my UNavi, I also looked at GTA they were virtually the same unit. As I watch the Nifty City install video I really feel they are all the same unit, $ would be my guide. I have no direct experience with rear seat theater so I can’t speak to that at all. But I can have CarPlay on while using the OEM fm radio. Maybe another reader has theater experience
Best Wishes
I have rear screens and that was one of my questions as well. I’m assuming you’ll need to bump back to OEM settings, enable the screens then start the video (or use remote), then enable CarPlay. It’s a tedious process, but you’ll get used to it.

#50 ·
I’ve had my truck for over 4 years and love it but the only thing it was missing was an updated infotainment. Did a lot of research and went with UNavi. Just installed UNavi Wireless CarPlay over the weekend on a 2016 QX60. Took my time and was done in a little less than 2 hours. The YouTube videos are a big help and basically ran into no issues. I ordered the USB extension and ran it into the OEM Auxiliary outlet in the tray. Hardest part was running the 7 connections down to the CarPlay module. I ran it into the side panel by the passenger floor mat. I used fish tape to snake the wires and couldn’t imagine doing it any other way. Not much room for a single wire, let alone 7 connections. Surprisingly didn’t lose any screws but definitely recommend Phillips magnetic screwdriver or drill bit. I’d consider myself handy but anybody can perform the install as long as you take your time and follow all the steps. Can’t be afraid to use a little force to remove the vents, climate control, etc. UNavi provides you with everything you need. After only testing it a couple of days it works seamlessly for an aftermarket item. Wireless CarPlay pops up after a few secs. No issues with sound or touchscreen. I wish you could see climate control but it takes 2 secs to go back to the main OEM screen. All in all definitely worth it, cost was around $650 for the unit, USB ext, taxes and shipping. Got the item in about 5 days.

#51 ·
I have studied Nifty City and UNavi in depth, and their products are all from China, and they have the functions of wireless CarPlay, wireless Android auto, and the operations through the knobs and buttons are exactly the same.
It only cost me 379 to add the CarPlay package. Many people thought it was a scam, but it only took me 4 days from ordering to receiving. Customer service gave me a youtube video and it took only two hours for the handy to install it myself Gadget Peripheral Laptop accessory Computer hardware Font

#52 ·
I'm curious about the differences between carlinkitlife and UNavi since there is a $300 difference. I've always heard UNavi as excellent support and regular updates. I'm assuming these things are like Android phones, sometimes they're updated and other times they aren't, missing out on new features. Then again, it's not like car manufacturers update their Carplay/android auto units.

#57 ·
Hi all,

here's my experience so far:

• uNavi arrived quickly
  • Local technician was able to install it reasonably easily (wasn't cheap but beat me spending days trying to DIY it. YMMV)
  • Works generally well as advertised EXCEPT as below:

My wife's and my iPhones will NOT allow audio input from the uNavi/OEM microphone into our phones. Which means that we can't do Siri, or voice calls from our phones, or anything that requires us to speak to the system. It's a huge pain.

However - it MAY not be a uNavi thing. The uNavi worked just fine with our installer's iPhone, and it seems that this issue (CarPlay not passing through voice inputs to some iPhones) is a known issue out there. Haven't been able to find a solution yet.

The other issue is that when the uNavi is installed, it eliminates use of the Front AUX jacks entirely. I was hoping that it would allow use of those jacks temporarily (e.g. when the system was not running) but no such luck. So if you want to use those jacks for stuff (e.g. passing HDMI through an RCA converter), you may be SOL.

Anyway, that's been the experience so far. If I could get the dang Apple bug fixed, it would be terrific.

If anyone has any insight into either of the issues above, please LMK!!

thanks

- Sameer

#58 ·
I had trouble with the audio until I rechecked all the wire connections into the unavi box in the passenger footwell which there are like 8 or more. Found an incorrect connection and that fixed it.