Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to keep the factory head unit, what are the current solutions out there?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have zero experience with this item but it’s the best plug and play I’ve seen, as they say you pays your $ and you take your chances. If you try it please report back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have zero experience with this item but it’s the best plug and play I’ve seen, as they say you pays your $ and you take your chances. If you try it please report back.
I just installed carplay in my 2014 QX60 I used the GTA kit was the best value, don’t need extra modules for wireless, stock camera’s or rear seat monitors all stock equipment works as installed

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just installed carplay in my 2014 QX60 I used the GTA kit was the best value, don’t need extra modules for wireless, stock camera’s or rear seat monitors all stock equipment works as installed
[/QUOT
I’m very intrigued did you install or have a shop do it. It looks very similar to the unavi item. How would you rate the install in degree of difficulty? And please include a good assessment of your own DIY expertise. The GTAcarkits.com website has a very thorough install video.
Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No I did it myself worst part was putting the wires behind the unit, vid is on utube just use google type in gta carplay it will bring them up they have both a US office and Canadian office for shipping, the only thing I did different was I unclipped the original usb hooked it up as per vid and put in the console under the wood grain. I like things clean, I just found a plastic ruler cut a slot in it to hold the new usb plug in the hole, it wasn’t necessary as the plug is tight in the original hole, but keeps it in place, that took longer than installing it and no having to buy anything else unless your car has no camera you can add them and you can buy any camera you want to add, it Very easy to do. Only problem I had as mine is a 2014 was the rubber by the front power point getting the 3 tabs on the rubber hooked back in, secret is you don’t have to take it out or the front power point just the top plastic piece in that hole and start unclipping and taking screws out the 2 side finishing strips on the console will come out without undoing the screws, putting it back together line up the clips on the side panels start at front and just slap it when it’s in place and it all pops back in place. Hope that helps. I watched the vid 3 times and took my tablet in the laneway and if I had any questions just pulled up the vid, that was when I decided to move the original usb plug, plug it in as vid shows and leave under the console top and put new usb in the original hole, I hate drilling holes in a car if there is a way around it. Hope this helps, pretty easy job, don’t over think it like I do I alway think the worst lol. I would say if you have the basics in tools as vid shows, but no plastic panel tool use a butter knife, wife will look at you strange but they wash in the sink. Any other questions feel free to ask, I’ll answer as soon as I see the message

·
Registered
145 Posts
I found the vid on the GTA website about 17 min but it showed every step, I Found this installation manual on the Unavi site very similar item
MANUAL_INSTALLATION_INFINITI_QX60_ACP_ENG
rlehd

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just completed the install of the UNAVI Wireless CarPlay unit and it works quite well. Hard to believe life before CarPlay. It pretty much has a factory install feel. The sound comes from selecting the AUX channel on the dash and holding the Back button for a couple of seconds switches you into the familiar CarPlay screen. The Next and Volume switches on the steering wheel work as well. With Siri, I can actual tell her to call or text someone where the QX60 software was completely worthless with vocal commands.

The CarPlay connects to my iPhone in my pocket automatically in about 10 seconds when I turn on the car, My only gripe is that the Siri volume is lower than the CarPlay music which is a bit lower than Sirius/XM. I am getting used to turning down the volume before I switch to Sirius/XM.

Installation is more than a novice job IMO, Yanking out the console panels is a bit nerve racking as it feels like the panels and clips are going to bust off. Also, the video and instructions that came with the UNVAI are typical in that they are made for a variety of Nissan models so you need your wits about you as you plug in the 7 or 8 patch cables that come with the kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just completed the install of the UNAVI Wireless CarPlay unit and it works quite well. Hard to believe life before CarPlay. It pretty much has a factory install feel. The sound comes from selecting the AUX channel on the dash and holding the Back button for a couple of seconds switches you into the familiar CarPlay screen. The Next and Volume switches on the steering wheel work as well. With Siri, I can actual tell her to call or text someone where the QX60 software was completely worthless with vocal commands.

The CarPlay connects to my iPhone in my pocket automatically in about 10 seconds when I turn on the car, My only gripe is that the Siri volume is lower than the CarPlay music which is a bit lower than Sirius/XM. I am getting used to turning down the volume before I switch to Sirius/XM.

Installation is more than a novice job IMO, Yanking out the console panels is a bit nerve racking as it feels like the panels and clips are going to bust off. Also, the video and instructions that came with the UNVAI are typical in that they are made for a variety of Nissan models so you need your wits about you as you plug in the 7 or 8 patch cables that come with the kit.
Any updates as to how the unit works? Anything dissapoint you in its operation? Does it work as well as you expected?

THanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
saw this system a few weeks ago. looks like the best one out there... anyone?

·
Registered
145 Posts
saw this system a few weeks ago. looks like the best one out there... anyone?

This looks exactly like the GTA system that JWilson describes, however on the GTA website it looks to be $150 cheaper

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates as to how the unit works? Anything dissapoint you in its operation? Does it work as well as you expected?

THanks
After using the UNAVI CarPlay since my original post I must say that it works great and it has become a true extension of my Apple ecosystem. Just a couple of observations:

To insure I connect to the wireless dongle located in the center console I put my iPhone in the cup holder after it didn’t connect a couple of times when left in my left pocket. I can always bypass the wireless dongle and plug my iPhone in directly if I want to charge it while driving.

Also, In the beginning I had bluetooth conflicts with the QX60 head unit as it would kick CarPlay off the phone as both signals fought to connect to my iPhone. Once I turned off both of the head unit bluetooth options, no more conflicts. With CarPlay, I don’t need the QX60 bluetooth features anymore.

Overall, it works great and I use it every time I drive.

Reactions: kbdixon

·
Registered
145 Posts
After using the UNAVI CarPlay since my original post I must say that it works great and it has become a true extension of my Apple ecosystem. Just a couple of observations:

To insure I connect to the wireless dongle located in the center console I put my iPhone in the cup holder after it didn’t connect a couple of times when left in my left pocket. I can always bypass the wireless dongle and plug my iPhone in directly if I want to charge it while driving.

Also, In the beginning I had bluetooth conflicts with the QX60 head unit as it would kick CarPlay off the phone as both signals fought to connect to my iPhone. Once I turned off both of the head unit bluetooth options, no more conflicts. With CarPlay, I don’t need the QX60 bluetooth features anymore.

Overall, it works great and I use it every time I drive.
Thanks for your first hand opinion, I just ordered the unavi system. (GTA is out of stock). Report to follow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Installed the uNavi system yesterday:
Very nice kit there are no leftover parts and the cables/wires are good sizes for the job and space available
Some install observations
Go slowly so as not to damage things along the way using a philips head screwdriver that has a magnetic tip is a huge help, dropping screws down into the console etc can be a frustrating experience
Key areas when you get to the display and add the second board be sure to check all your new/old ribbons for correct attachment. It will save you taking it apart two more times. Get all your wires together including the two from the monitor and electrical tape the whole bunch to pass it down thru the console
What took the most time for me was passing the wire bundle down (gorilla hands)don’t work well in tight spaces.
And the display, again big hands small pieces. I needed a job specific tool and did not have it.

The unit is wireless or wired and works very well, should have done this sooner. More thoughts as I accumulate them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the details.

How long did it take to install? Also, are you experienced at doing these types of installations or a novice (more pictures/instructions= better)?
Level of DIY, above hacker. Completely installed new factory under hood wiring harness in an R129 Series Mercedes. Most jobs of this type don’t faze me, my issues usually revolve around big hands small spaces. The install if done properly should take no more than 45 min. Most of the panels and dash bezels come out easily. Tips when you start removing things take note of clips attached to them on their backside and make sure you have them all accounted for.
The previously mentioned magnetic tip philips head is a huge timesaver.
Take your time with the display this is what can screw you up. Check all connections before you button it up.
Confession-I had to pull mine twice:
First time the display showed lines the wider ribbon was not seated properly, the second time no touch on the display face the skinnier ribbon needed reseating. PITA and my own fault.
When routing the wires down below take ALL of them and electrical tape together, then feed it forward thru the hole you want to go over the edge closest to you in the passenger foot well. You should mount the unit closest to the front of the car.
I found the manufacturers videos and installation manual to be very helpful, watch them to get the sense of what to do and refer to the manual as needed. I had my iPad in the car so I’m could refer to or watch again thru the video

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the details.

How long did it take to install? Also, are you experienced at doing these types of installations or a novice (more pictures/instructions= better)?
To add to my installation comments above, I used a fish tape and electrical tape to feed all the wires to the passenger footwell. I had to do the overall job twice as well since the instructions lacked specificity. I got video the first pass test but not audio. Once I discovered that I went back in and found the missing connector to plug in (a bit trial and error approach). I had to remove the center council twice as well because the little orange transmission shift indicator was out of position as it showed through the little window, Seems to me it took about four hours and I am an infrequent backyard mechanic.

One key additional tip: turn off all of the QX60 Bluetooth connections as it fights the CarPlay Bluetooth for control of your iPhone. CarPlay voice directions cut in and out and the CarPlay unit can freeze until you turn off the car and restart it. Once all the QX60 Bluetooth (Voice/Audio/Nav) has been turned off, it works like a charm.

I use CarPlay evertime I drive, worth the money IMO especially for the navigation, music and even using Siri to call someone (the QX60 voice commands were less than useless to me). I even use the text message feature too which I figured was going to be a waist of time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Has anyone bought a unavi-usa for the 2013 JX35?

A few observations from their website:
  • a "JX35/JX55" compatible unit is available, but there is no such thing as a JX55. JX35 was only produced for 2013, then switched to QX60 in 2014.
  • 2014 QX60 has the same head unit as 2013 JX35. So why aren't JX35 and QX60 listed together?

So, should I select JX35/JX55 or the 2014 QX60? $700 is a lot of money to guess.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As said above I have had a careers worth of experience with this item, after texting with tech support I feel I have what Humvet mentioned above and missed a plug connector. However the system works very well and I have no problems with it picking up my phone each time. I followed Humvets advice and disconnected my phone from the factory Bluetooth. I will report back on my thoughts after I search out the missing link.
Yeller sorry I can’t give you advice on your issues, but try contacting them they are quite responsive and fairly quick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts