Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter upon us, I was getting some serious interior condensation on the inside windshield and other windows. It got so bad one morning that we actually could use an ice scraper to clean the INSIDE of the windshield. I chalked it up to the weather.

But this past weekend, when it was relatively warm enough, I chose to clean the car. To my dismay, I found that the carpet underneath the floor mats were wet. I was baffled in that the top of the floor mats were NOT wet (so I can't blame it on the kids trodding snow). I found the front and middle passenger side carpet were wet/damp.

So I'm at the dealer now where they are trying to figure out what happened. From doing some searches, it seems that it's possible that the drain line from the sunroof may have gotten disconnected or an AC line may have also gotten disconnected. I'm waiting for a loaner car now while they are working on the car.

Has anyone here had a similar issue and do you know what was the overall diagnosis? I'd like to provide those findings to the dealer to help them with the process.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say either one of those things you mentioned, or the sunroof was left partly open at some point recently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. It's been almost 10 days so far. But apparently it's the rear left air vent around the trunk area that vents air into the outside of the car when you shut the door. I'm having a hard time believing that. But that's the reason that I was given. It's hard for me to imagine that water would enter through that area, go into the trunk of the car (from behind body panels at that), cross from the left side to the right side of the car and then go all the way up to the front passenger footwell! They said the sunroof drain line and the AC line were fine. Regardless, they ordered the air vents for both sides of the car and ended up replacing the entire carpet of the car (sigh). I haven't heard back from the service rep since Saturday. So hopefully the car is done correctly. I.e. - I would seriously hate to see screws missing, trims not put back correctly, etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Theclutch,
I have a 2014 QX60. Noticed a few days ago a large puddle of water on garage floor under the car. Had leaked so much that there was also a stream of water reaching the back tire. There was still water leaking 15 hrs after the car had sat all night. Talked with shop foreman. He asked if I ran the heater or AC on AUTO; I said no. He said some condensation was normal, even if just the heater was running because the AC unit was designed to also run with the heater to help keep condensation from building up on the windshield. But he said that if water was still coming out after the car had sat so long, he needed to see it because the AC drain was likely clogged. I questioned this because the car sits in the garage most of the time. After 1 yr of ownership, it has only 6K miles on it. And I don't drive in dirty conditions or on dirty roads, so I questioned how the drain could get clogged so soon after purchase and with so few miles.

Took the car in yesterday. They claim to have cleaned out the drain line. Said they got the leak down from a 10" diameter puddle to a dime size. But noticing it tonight, it's leaking as much as it did before the repair. My carpet is not wet, but I fear that will eventually occur.

All this to say, after all I've read about wet passenger floorboards on Infinitis and Nissans, it is most often reported that the leak is due to clogged AC drains with water leaking past the firewall and into the vehicle. So I believe this is what your problem is. Please keep us posted on your situation and any fixes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any resolution to this issue?
The solution was to... get rid of the car! This was a servicing nightmare that I'm glad to have gotten past me. Like a clairvoyant, in my previous post, I was afraid that there would me misaligned panels, missing screws, etc. I EVEN TOLD THE SERVICE MANAGER that this was what I would be afraid of and he assured me there would be no problem! So what did I find? Misaligned interior panels, VERY loose screws, missing screws, etc.... I was content with just tightening these on my own as these yahoos could likely damage the car out of spite if I complained. However, upon further inspection, THEY DENTED THE TRUNK! That was my last straw. I didn't even make it into the parking lot. Upon getting the same service manager, he started to go on the way of "it was like that when you brought it in"... I STOPPED him in his tracks. I reminded him of how anal I was about the car, how immaculate the interior of my car was (despite having three toddlers), and how I took pride in that there were no dings, dents or scratches. I warned him very cautiously "not to go there". The GM came out, was very apologetic and swore to make it right. I kept the loaner and came back two days later (or so).

They fixed everything. They even detailed the exterior of the car real well. It wasn't a typical detail since I noticed that they claybared the paint also. It was super smooth. The dent was removed by paintless dent repair so it wasn't even noticeable. I had no more interior wetness or condensation in the car. I still don't believe the fix, but they fixed it regardless. Although it was a painful experience, they made it right.

A few months later, we traded it in for a Volvo XC90. It's smaller and less comfortable, IMO. It didn't have the TV screens in the middle row and the NAV is beyond terrible. But it drives nicer, looks nicer and the best feature is the Pilot Assist. If the QX60 had this feature and had a bigger engine, I'd go back to the QX easily. Outside of these 2 features, the QX60 is superior in my opinion for comfort, interior style, interior space flexibility and 3rd row room seating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts