Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So we recently got about 14" of rain in a 48 hour period and my QX60 lives outside. I didn't drive it at all during this and when I went to use the vehicle yesterday, it had a very "musty" smell. I did some digging around and found the front passenger side floor mat, carpet and padding soaking wet. When I pulled the "VIN" plastic plate under the passenger side floor mat, I saw water :eek: under the carpet and Styrofoam sound deadener.

I found water coming in from two locations:

FIRST I've had this exact same issue before with my wife's e91 and a watertight seal in the door was leaking there. For those of you unaware, your windows are NOT water-tight and water *DOES* come into the door when it rains/you wash it. To prevent the water from getting into the car, OEMS install a plastic sheet sealed with a tar-like substance or malleable silicon to keep water outside of the door's shell, where it exits the door at the bottom.

On the QX60 - I pulled the passenger front door panel. Pulling the door panel off is super easy -- 3x 10mm bolts and some plastic clips. 1x 10mm behind the interior handle and lock mechanism (aluminum). To remove it first remove the black plastic piece you see behind the handle and lock with either a pick or flat-head screw driver and then pull that 10mm bolt. Then pull the 2x 10 mm bolts behind the "grip" of the armrest, again the cover you pull out with a pick of flat head is facing outward and flat. Do not try to pull the the "C/U" shaped cover facing the interior of the vehicle, you'll likely damage it. Then there are a ton of white plastic clips holding the door panel on. On the bottom of the door panel with your fingers you'll feel a slight lip between the plastic door panel and the metal door. Simply grab this lip on the bottom of the door panel with your fingers and pull INWARDS (not upwards -- exclusively inwards)- Four white plastic clips along the bottom of the door panel will pop off and then simply pull the door panel upwards popping the clips along the outside edges of it (I think there are three on each side) until you get to the top, where you simply lift the door panel out of the window sill.

You'll need to disconnect the window switch, the two metal cables controlling the door handle and lock (again super easy) and then pull the puddle light out of the door panel.

Once you've gotten the door panel pulled there are two clear plastic seals with a black "tar" like substance affixing them to the metal door. Either with your hand or a thin Dynamat roller ensure there are no gaps in this seal. Do this everywhere you see these black lines of tar EXCEPT the lines of tar making an "X" on the small square plastic sheet. The exterior bits of the small square sheet you need to do this to it (this is where my failure was) but the interior don't.

On the small plastic square sheet, the seal at the bottom had pulled away and I could see a trail of pollen running from it to the bottom of the door and then leaking into the car. I fixed this and this fixed the smaller of the two problems.

To reinstall the door panel, simply follow the above instructions in reverse, but DO NOT FORGET to: 1) plug everything back in being the door handle and locking cables (these "clip" when you press them back into their slots on the door panel), the window switch and the puddle lamp at the bottom of the door panel; and 2) Make sure you reinstall all white plastic clips back into the door panel should any of them have fallen out or gotten stuck in the door.

NEXT my front sunroof drains were clogged with the passenger side being a complete stoppage and the drivers side being reduced to a small drip.

I pulled the A-pillar covers off the vehicle (again, super easy) -- just stick your fingers between the top of the "A" pillar interior trim and headliner and pull down and inwards simultaneously. Might need to fiddle with the clip in the middle of the pillar to get it out but it all comes out easily and pain-free, disconnect the tweeter and set these pieces aside (or in my case out in the sun to dry). When I pulled these covers off, I saw not only the passenger side tube filled with water -- but the water had been sitting in it so long algae was actually growing in the tube :eek::eek::eek::eek:. On the drivers side I could see algae on the bottom half of the tube (remember drivers side was just trickling out).

I ran to the German version of Home Depot and got some 3mm thick weed-whacker cabling and cut myself a piece about ten feet long. I opened the sunroof and on the front corner of both passenger and drivers side sunroof trey (you have to sit on the lid of the center console with your head sticking out of the car to see them) I inserted this cabling and pushed it back and forth until I could see the water draining out of the tube and also from under the car. I did this on both sides and then tested the tubes with a bottle of water and they work.

I've got the carpet and all the trim along with the glove box on the passenger side pulled and will let the car dry out for a day or two before reassembling.

I called the dealer in Germany (both Nissan and Infiniti) to get quotes on having them fix it -- it was running €150 to €300 to "diagnose" and "fix" the problem. I spent €10 on the trimmer cable and used my thumb to fix the seal, so minimum of €140 saved if you DIY.

Keywords: JX35 QX60 Pathfinder 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 water in floor board water in car musky smell water coming from door water A-pillar leak roof leak sunroof water on drivers side water dripping Infiniti Nissan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad this wasn't due to your rebuild!

Compressed air works wonders down sunroof drains too!

Reactions: JackTaylor

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had wet floormats and the water was coming from a plugged drain hose from the air conditioning condensor.
Both the driver side and passenger side floormats were soaked in the summer when there wasn't alot of rain...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts