Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to choose between QX60 and Audi Q7, and maybe the new rev of Volvo XC90.

I see some practical advantages of Infiniti (price tag and the much-touted easy third row access being primary), and I love the styling look (and afraid of being too biased to the looks!)

My concern is that many professional reviewers don't like how this car drives/handles. A couple examples:

TheCarConnection:
Audi: Rides and handles like a car
Infiniti: Not all that exciting to drive

Edmunds: Feels sluggish during passing maneuvers; doesn't handle as well as other luxury crossover SUVs

Can anyone comment? Anyone have experience with both QX60 and Q7 (for longer than a test drive)? Anyone coming to QX60 from a smaller, sportier car - how does it feel?

For some background, both wife and I are not aggressive drivers. I drove a 2006 Maxima for a few years and I loved actually driving it, it was fast/sporty enough for me. We have a Murano LE now and it works well enough as far as handling/acceleration. But I did test-drive a Q7 last year though, and I have to say I really enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for any insights!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to choose between QX60 and Audi Q7, and maybe the new rev of Volvo XC90.

I see some practical advantages of Infiniti (price tag and the much-touted easy third row access being primary), and I love the styling look (and afraid of being too biased to the looks!)

My concern is that many professional reviewers don't like how this car drives/handles. A couple examples:

TheCarConnection:

Edmunds: Feels sluggish during passing maneuvers; doesn't handle as well as other luxury crossover SUVs

Can anyone comment? Anyone have experience with both QX60 and Q7 (for longer than a test drive)? Anyone coming to QX60 from a smaller, sportier car - how does it feel?

For some background, both wife and I are not aggressive drivers. I drove a 2006 Maxima for a few years and I loved actually driving it, it was fast/sporty enough for me. We have a Murano LE now and it works well enough as far as handling/acceleration. But I did test-drive a Q7 last year though, and I have to say I really enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for any insights!
I would tell you to wait for the new Q7 or test drive the XC90 if you cannot wait. I've had a 2002 Maxima and a 2011 Infiniti G37x, currently own a QX60 and have significant driving time behind the wheel of a 3.0T 2013 Audi Q7 (280hp). The QX60 falls short in my opinion. Whereas the G felt like one cohesive car (and a great one at that), the QX60 feels like it was cobbled together. The current Q7 drives heavier, more solid and quieter in my opinion. Though many disagree, I do not think that the QX60 is a quiet car at speed. It does well on smooth roads, but gets noisy when the roads turn rough.

The current Q7 with the 280hp motor is slow, but feels ok because it's got a good transmission and good low end torque. The QX60 is slow and feels slower because of the CVT.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Ask your local dealers to loan you a car for a few hours. We do this all the time. Drive both in the same day, or consecutive days, along similar routes. See what you think.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
After 40,000 miles on our JX35 (same car as the QX60), I am still a huge fan of this car. Its been from the Oregon coast to the coast at Sea Ranch California (very windy roads) twice fully loaded with a cargo box and the car handled excellent. Yes you do get some body roll, but you have to remember its not a sports car. Nobody got car sick either. I use the manual shift mode when driving in the turns and love the way it handles, and saves on breaking. I feel the car is very smooth and quiet, but cannot comment on the other cars you are considering.

We drove cross country from the Seattle metro area, to upstate NY down to Myrtle Beach SC back through Chicago and home during rough fall weather. 8,000 trouble free and comfortable miles with the cargo box on.

The technology in this car is why we purchased it. We owned a 2006 Murano and feel this car drives better with the same engine. Plenty of power, and good gas milage for a large vehicle. I can't speak for the competitors, but the blind spot warning and intervention, forward collision braking, back-up collision intervention, adaptive cruise control and Infiniti Connection/Personal Assistant features are a plus. My only concern at this time is that the AT&T 2G Network that supports those features goes away December 2016 and Infiniti doesn't have a solution available at this time if there will be a work-around (information is also available on-line with a disclaimer).

I'm satisfied with the Navigation and sound system. There have been very few minor recalls with my 2013, but I know there have been issues with later models and the QX60 updated transmission that has given Nissan/Infiniti a black eye. I believe they have addressed this issue. Sinecure could probably comment on current status.

I totally agree with Sinecure. Yes he is a car salesman, but I have tremendous respect for him and his opinion. He is a top sales person in the Bay Area and he really knows all vehicles in the Infiniti family. I would take his advice and see if you can do an extended demo test drive. I'd take it on the highways, test all the bells and whistles and take it to windy and bumpy roads. Likewise, I'd do the same with the competitors.

I have been seeing more of these cars on the road lately. I still like the styling and my only complaint is that Infiniti did not put daytime running lights on the US model. If I were to shop for a car today, I'd look at the QX60, Audi Q7, Mercedes ML, Acura and Volvo. I'm not wild about the Lexus. Keep in mind also, other than Acura and Lexus, if you are in a situation where you need a dealership for an urgent repair, Nissan, Toyota and Honda dealerships can help since they are the parent companies and have most parts.

I wish you the best of luck on your quest and please feel free to check out all YouTube videos and do read the customer reviews. Many of the negative comments you see on some sites regarding quality issues are directly related to the transmission shutter problem discussed previously.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Thanks for any insights!
In regards to your question about coming to the QX60 from a smaller, sportier car, and how it felt? I drove two G35's, and 06 and 08. I loved both those cars, and loved the sporty feel of driving them. However, I was ready for something larger, quieter and more comfortable. I am very pleased with my QX60. The more I drive it, the more I love it. I drove an 04 Lexus RX330, and my QX60 compares to the quiet comfortable ride of the RX. It's very quiet in my opinion. As for the sporty feel, the QX60 has the same engine as the G35, which is one the best engines built by Nissan. The QX60 does move when you need it to move. The only difference I've discovered is that you have to push the gas pedal a little harder, this is a heavier vehicle. The CVT does give you a sport option, which gives you the feel of driving a sports car. I wish you luck in deciding, I know it's a tough decision. I love Infiniti, and have had very good luck with all my vehicles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
TheCarConnection:

Driving a car is a personal preference. Definately read the reviews, however take them for a drive yourself. The german cars will drive more like a sports car, but it'll cost you. Check the prices for tires, oil change, etc... A friend goes through Q7 tires and pads every two year. Tires are 3x the cost of Infiniti.

I also read Edmunds reviews and didn't feel like I want to be at the shop fixing electrical gremlins throughout the life of the vehicle so I avoided BMW, Merc, and Audi. Mercedes GL was a close, but the constant "fires" comments turned away my wife.

At the end of the day you'll always find someone that loves "Insert name here" vehicle, so drive them yourself then enjoy what you buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask your local dealers to loan you a car for a few hours. We do this all the time. Drive both in the same day, or consecutive days, along similar routes. See what you think.
Sinecure, do you know if this is standard practice at other dealership? I heard specifically about your Redwood City dealership offering extended test-drives when I used to live in the Bay Area, but we will be buying the car in Texas.

Thanks all for comments. We'll definitely try to test-drive as much as possible.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think any dealership that thinks you are a serious buyer would do this. I've never been refused and would not buy from a dealership that said "no." I actually have had cars from Saturday through Monday in many cases.

As for what car to buy and should you be worried about "bad" reviews... If you need the third row to be functional, there is no better car than the qx60. (Buick Enclave comes close, but I will never buy another GM vehicle). I'm not sure how much fun a car like this should be to drive. When reviews talk about how it's not fun, that means there is nothing else they can fault! Seriously. I can usually find more important things, and less subjective, to differentiate cars. Like seating comfort, location of controls, visibility (all sides), performance while driving and doing normal maneuvers on rough and smooth roads, etc. Fun? Well, how much fun is sitting in stop and go traffic with five people in the car?

No car is perfect, and certainly not perfect for everyone. Use each of your picks for 75-100 miles, including your typical commute route, grocery shopping and/or other routine activities, and I think your decision will be clear.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'd be surprised if they turned you down if you asked nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a fully loaded QX60 last week and before I bought it, the dealership let me take a similarly equipped one home for the night. I brought it back mid-afternoon the next day.

I do have to say, coming from a 2006 Honda Pilot, I absolutely LOVE this car. The safety features are great. I was driving on the interstate over the weekend and the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning make the drive so much easier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would think any dealership that thinks you are a serious buyer would do this. I've never been refused and would not buy from a dealership that said "no." I actually have had cars from Saturday through Monday in many cases.

As for what car to buy and should you be worried about "bad" reviews... If you need the third row to be functional, there is no better car than the qx60. (Buick Enclave comes close, but I will never buy another GM vehicle). I'm not sure how much fun a car like this should be to drive. When reviews talk about how it's not fun, that means there is nothing else they can fault! Seriously. I can usually find more important things, and less subjective, to differentiate cars. Like seating comfort, location of controls, visibility (all sides), performance while driving and doing normal maneuvers on rough and smooth roads, etc. Fun? Well, how much fun is sitting in stop and go traffic with five people in the car?

No car is perfect, and certainly not perfect for everyone. Use each of your picks for 75-100 miles, including your typical commute route, grocery shopping and/or other routine activities, and I think your decision will be clear.

Enjoy!
For third row room, the new XC90 (which I have sat in) is better. Better legroom and better headroom for sure (both had pano/dual sunroof).

·
Registered
225 Posts
So they made the new xc90 roomier? Great! It's also important to set the second row seats to where they will be while used with the third row. Again, use the car for a few hours; don't just sit in it at the show room. That's how you really know how it will suit you.

(Does the Volvo still cost $70k with many options? A couple years ago I looked at it and stopped when I saw the price with options the way I thought it should be outfitted for a family hauler.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
So they made the new xc90 roomier? Great! It's also important to set the second row seats to where they will be while used with the third row. Again, use the car for a few hours; don't just sit in it at the show room. That's how you really know how it will suit you.

(Does the Volvo still cost $70k with many options? A couple years ago I looked at it and stopped when I saw the price with options the way I thought it should be outfitted for a family hauler.)
I am 6'3" and I do not fit in the third row behind "two of me" in the first two rows of the QX60. I do fit in the XC90, though I wouldn't say I am comfortable per se. But it is tolerable for short trips.

I haven't priced out the XC90 but I do think that it would cost in the mid 60s pretty well equipped. I think the only engine available now, however, is a 320hp motor though so it's not really an apples to apples comparison with the QX60.

The QX60 has done pretty well so far, but once the Volvo (including the model with the lesser engine) floods the market and the new Q7 is released, I think the QX60's sales figures will start to go down. I think the QX60 will have to improve the car significantly with their refresh if they want to keep up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think the QX60 will have to improve the car significantly with their refresh if they want to keep up.
Good point. Hopefully Infiniti will take advantage of their mid-cycle refresh to clean the front/rear styling, and improve some of the interior shortcomings. The JX/QX60 been on the market since mid-2012 so a refresh should be coming this or next year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Starts about $49k and goes past $76K.
Just looked this up. The 76K version is the T8 - plug-in hybrid with 400hp. Really the version competitive with the QX60 (with the 250hp motor) hasn't even been released yet so we don't know US pricing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be surprised if they turned you down if you asked nicely.
Sinecure, have enjoyed reading your posts. Regarding the extended test drive, I have to admit, I have never heard of it. My concern would be liability. What happens if something (not your fault) happens to the car, i.e. another vehicle hits it, etc?

·
Registered
225 Posts
My concern would be liability. What happens if something (not your fault) happens to the car, i.e. another vehicle hits it, etc?
Your insurance should cover it. You are responsible for it, and you will sign papers saying so. Similar to when you rent a car. You just aren't paying for the use of this rental, he he he.

So if you have comprehensive coverage, you're fine.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Sinecure, have enjoyed reading your posts. Regarding the extended test drive, I have to admit, I have never heard of it. My concern would be liability. What happens if something (not your fault) happens to the car, i.e. another vehicle hits it, etc?
When I loan a car to a customer, I put their insurance information on the loaner agreement. Essentially, you're responsible for the car - sort of like you are when you have a rental car. I've only once had a customer mess up a demo car once. And that wasn't while he was borrowing it - just an old man who couldn't park / judge distance and he scraped a new demo in front of the store with his old M35. I think we average one service loaner car wrecked per year. Good thing we build safe cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Overall, I have driven a lot of SUVs and quite a few times to be able to compare. I obviously bought the qx60 because of its features for the price. I went all in with all packages and can't be happier. Mynfirst choice was the Q7 TDI prestige but that price tag was redonkulous. I would have been fine with a used one but finding all the features you want was nearly impossible.

If you can afford or shave off features the q7 handling interior/exterior look is unbeatable. The qx60 feels more floaty and car like. Again the price tag fully loaded for the qx60 is unbeatable and the engine has been proven (but also outdated being in service since the 2nd gen qx4) . The next best was the highlander fully loaded which was I would say significantly cheaper. The 4runner is a great alternative if you like the truck feeling. I did not get a chance with the Volvo but its promising. Their reliability needs to be proven again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts