Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all think of the transmission programming that tries to mimic the feel of a regular geared automatic? It's a curious thing, in my opinion. Other companies with regular automatics add gears to make ratio jumps between gears less, for a smoother shift. What are we up to, 8 with some makes? So, while those guys are adding gears to make it so you can't feel a shift, Infiniti and Nissan came up with a transmission program to make the smooth acceleration feel notchy like there are gears.

I heard the reason was that people couldn't feel shifts, so they thought the car wasn't accelerating. Or at least accelerating quickly. Instead of changing the nice smooth transmission software, why wasn't it just explained to those people how the transmission works? I'm not that fond of the concept or the execution. I call it "moron mode" to satisfy morons.

Our Pathfinder's last transmission software upgrade was done in December of 2014. I really liked it. It let the transmission rev higher than previous versions (I had serveral). I loved to occasionally stomp it, and see the tach go to 6500 and stay there steady while the car accelerated smoothly. Pretty cool stuff! Unfortunately, that software version didn't like "float throttle" downhills at all, it couldn't figure out repeatably what to do.

FWIW, I drive in standard mode, where the faux gear effect isn't hardly noticeable under normal driving conditions. And finally, abive akkm I think the transmissions are amazing, and the guys who designed them are pretty dang smart. Think about what the trans has to do...

·
Registered
30 Posts
What do y'all think of the transmission programming that tries to mimic the feel of a regular geared automatic? It's a curious thing, in my opinion. Other companies with regular automatics add gears to make ratio jumps between gears less, for a smoother shift. What are we up to, 8 with some makes? So, while those guys are adding gears to make it so you can't feel a shift, Infiniti and Nissan came up with a transmission program to make the smooth acceleration feel notchy like there are gears.

I heard the reason was that people couldn't feel shifts, so they thought the car wasn't accelerating. Or at least accelerating quickly. Instead of changing the nice smooth transmission software, why wasn't it just explained to those people how the transmission works? I'm not that fond of the concept or the execution. I call it "moron mode" to satisfy morons.

Our Pathfinder's last transmission software upgrade was done in December of 2014. I really liked it. It let the transmission rev higher than previous versions (I had serveral). I loved to occasionally stomp it, and see the tach go to 6500 and stay there steady while the car accelerated smoothly. Pretty cool stuff! Unfortunately, that software version didn't like "float throttle" downhills at all, it couldn't figure out repeatably what to do.

FWIW, I drive in standard mode, where the faux gear effect isn't hardly noticeable under normal driving conditions. And finally, abive akkm I think the transmissions are amazing, and the guys who designed them are pretty dang smart. Think about what the trans has to do..
if you have CVT transmission. that is the way you should feel. no shifting like the snow mobile. belt or chain riding on the pullies

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you have CVT transmission. that is the way you should feel. no shifting like the snow mobile. belt or chain riding on the pullies[ no shifting from1 2 3 .....
nissan did not design the cvt. most car maker bought the CVT from the supplier
which i know only 2 manufactures make the CVT
having said all that. nissan should not put the CVT in their product it is a mistake

1 - 3 of 3 Posts