Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am curious if anyone has noticed if your JX35 (or QX) hold gear between 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear?

I do pick up usually more aggressive when I am able and I find that the transmission holds the RPM quite high for a period if time and as it goes to switch between 3rd or 4th RPM's will drop with the higher gear but if you slightly touch the gas it will down shift and ramp up the RPM again.

I am in Normal driving mode and it is an AWD.

My dealer says that this normal CVT behaviour. This is my second Infiniti (first was an 08 EX35) and is not the car I expected. My expectations may have been too high with this model.

Thanks

Guido

·
Registered
199 Posts
The CVT (continuously variable transmission) is always changing gear ratios. It will not act like a seven speed transmission unless you put it in sport mode. The best way to describe this transmission is that it is like a boat. When you hit the throttle on a boat, the rpm's go way up and once you get up to speed, they go back down. This is the same way a CVT will act, it is supposed to feel like it is not changing gears. I assume this is what the dealer was saying when you went in, I am just trying to explain it a little better. That is why it feels like it is holding gears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback. It is possible that I am accelerating with the gas pedal like I'm driving a standard transmission. I tend to accelerate in one gear and ease off the gas until the car gets into the next gear, then I push the gas again to accelerate at a faster pace. This is when I get into my troubles because it will jump back to the 4-5000+ rpm.

I will play with it on the way to work and let you know how I fare out.

Thanks

G

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the bottom line is to "just drive it" and not try to make it work like you have experienced in the past. The reason so many folks trash CVTs is because they don't behave the same way as people expect so they feel that they are inferior. But if you simply don't try to make it do what you expect and, instead, ask it to do what you want, it works very well.

For example, if you want speed up, press the gas pedal! (Yes, I'm being silly). Don't stop until you are are the speed you want to do. Not accelerating fast enough? Press harder. You don't have to play the games you are used to with a typical transmission at all. The CVT has an, essentially, flat torque curve so you don't have to do what's necessary with a typical AT to keep it there.

If you like such things here is a nice dyno run with a CVT (albeit from Honda, but the general trends apply, here, too).

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online - Articles - Jeff, do you have the HP vs. mph chart of the 2012/2011 Civic Si?: 2013 Accord Sport CVT

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
One of the things that many former or current Infiniti vehicle owner's may not have understood when they selected the JX or QX60 is that this car was designed more as a touring luxury car. It was designed to get the best MPG possible for its size. Had Infiniti thrown a standard transmission and/or the 3.7L engine, this car would have gotten lower GPM and it would have turned off many prospective buyers. It was never designed to be a sports car.

After owning my JX for almost 2 years and with 26,000 miles on it, I am still very pleased with the ride and its performance. I feel it handles very nice for a very big car and enjoy not breaking the bank every time I fill up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will drive like I stole it from now on.

At least it sounds like everyone knows what I was experiencing. Good to know I did not forget how to drive.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

I am curious if anyone has noticed if your JX35 (or QX) hold gear between 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear?

I do pick up usually more aggressive when I am able and I find that the transmission holds the RPM quite high for a period if time and as it goes to switch between 3rd or 4th RPM's will drop with the higher gear but if you slightly touch the gas it will down shift and ramp up the RPM again.
If the tach is fixed at one RPM and the car's speed is increasing, you are clearly not 'stuck' in any gear.

Think about it. It would not be possible if you were 'stuck' in one gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the tach is fixed at one RPM and the car's speed is increasing, you are clearly not 'stuck' in any gear.

Think about it. It would not be possible if you were 'stuck' in one gear.
Holding in one gear is not exactly what I am referring to. It is like driving a manual shift where you feel your rpm increase with each gear and when you go from 3rd to 4th to coast, if I apply just a bit more rpm, it is like I just downshifted to 3rd gear again for no reason. If I release just a bit of gas it does lower the rpm and feels like I am back in the 4th gear. I can do this a couple of times playing with the gas pedal (and I am not talking about nailing the gas to get it to switch gears, it is just a bit to finish getting to my desired speed). After a couple of times, it will drive in a "normal" fashion.

It is probably just the CVT like people have suggested.

Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, that is how the CVT is programmed to work--your gear ratio is infinitely variable between two fixed ratios. The engine computer is programmed to seek the most efficient engine rpm to do what you ask (i.e., the power required to maintain constant speed or accelerate). If it's acceleration, that means a higher engine RPM where the engine is more efficient (lower specific fuel consumption) for the increased horsepower needed to accelerate. In layman's terms, if you need 100 HP to accelerate, the engine can deliver that 100 HP much more efficiently (Lower fuel consumption) at 3500 RPM than it can at 2000 RPM. Therefore the CVT will quickly vary the gearing ratio to allow the engine to run at 3500 RPM to minimize fuel consumption during acceleration.

To do what you suggest you need to drive sport mode, in manual mode. In sport, manual mode the CVT simulates a standard transmission with fixed gear ratios. To simulate shifting, turn the knob to sport mode and pull the drive selector back to drive, and then over to the left. At a Stop it will simulate on hold first gear until the redline. To shift into second, tap the driver lever forward. To shift into third gear, tap driver forward again. Keep doing this to manually run through all the gears. To downshift, tap the drive lever backwards. In-sport/manual mode, the CVT will hold the selected, so you can accelerator in the gear you are in without the transmission downshifting. That said there are some built-in safeties, it won't allow you to downshift into gear that would cause you to over rev the engine. Likewise it won't allow you to start from a dead stop in 7th gear.

You haven't tried it out, you should. Sounds like you would like it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same here. Sure, zoom and proofread, but who has that much extra time, haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will give that a try, I generally don't like the manual mode but I do like the sport mode other than when cruising at higher speeds ( I know that I can switch back to normal mode) I do like a lower rpm for higher speeds.

Wow..sounds line I am never happy. I just need to find my happy medium.

Thanks again,

Guido

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have two questions. I've owned and driven two G35's over the last 7 years. I traded my last one in for the QX60 AWD. I wanted something larger and more comfortable. I was told by my salesperson that since I'm used to driving the G, that I should probably use the sport mode to be closer to what I'm used to. Will driving in this mode be harder on the transmission since it is similating shifting gears? And can you change to another mode while you are driving? I've heard comments here about using different modes for different driving conditions. Just a note, my G's were fast and full of pep. I see little difference with the QX. I'm very satisfied with the quickness and the very comfortable ride. And I get better gas mileage than I did with my G's. I would appreciate anyone answering my questions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, change driving modes when you want, it doesn't matter. No, sport mode will not have the chance of damaging the cvt more than normal or ECO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will give that a try, I generally don't like the manual mode but I do like the sport mode other than when cruising at higher speeds ( I know that I can switch back to normal mode) I do like a lower rpm for higher speeds.

Wow..sounds line I am never happy. I just need to find my happy medium.

Thanks again,

Guido
There should be no difference in rpm at 70mph(or any cruising speed) in sport mode or normal mode.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts