Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a clue how the transmission fill cap comes off? It looks like a simple bladed screw driver will release the catch mechanism but Nissan/Infinite very clearly added some extra trick they aren't publicizing. I found one video that says it needs to be attacked from the battery side but I got no love trying that either. Thanks for any advice and direction you can give me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid a few weeks back and removing that cap was he hardest part. You need to push a flathead into the little square hole next to the cap, turn, then pull. I had to pull mine pretty hard. Basically you're moving a catch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Yeller, thanks for the reply. I will keep trying. Did you refill through the tube? Some say this is a bottom fill only transmission but then I say why have the tube. Also, did you use OEM fluid Nissan NS-3 or go with the Aisin NS-3. I asked the Nissan dealer here in Dallas what he charges for a qt of their NS-3 and was told $19.99 per qt. Kind of pricey. My QX60 is a 2018 model.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I used the filler tube and a long neck funnel, basically replaced the same about that drained. My cap has a dipstick attached making it easy verify fill amount. Unfortunately Infiniti got rid of the dipstick at some point so your mileage may very.

I did a fair amount of forum research and didn't find too many people using Aisin so I just went with OEM NS-3. The local Grubbs Grapevine dealership charged around $20 so I bought 12 quarts off eBay for around $12/ quart.

Before you get going make sure to get the filler cap off to see if you have a dipstick. If not, you'll need to follow another process where you unscrew an overflow screw after it gets to a certain temp.

In the end it takes about as much time as changing the oil, super easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yeller, I will keep working on the cap and see if the dipstick in on there. I've been under the vehicle and did find the overflow plug. From what I've read it needs to trickle out rather than pour out once that plug is removed. Same process on my Tacoma.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 12V fluid pump off Amazon and used it to pump the fluid out through the fill tube. I managed to get a gallon out. It beats crawling under the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input on the pump. What year is your QX60? I've been digging around on the Pathfinder forum to see what they do for the trans service. On the 2019 Pathfinder with the 3.5 and CVT trans there is no dipstick. They drain and fill from the bottom. There is also a transmission filter that appears to be easily replaced on these CVT transmissions. I'm going to get under our '18 today and see if it's the same set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the input on the pump. What year is your QX60? I've been digging around on the Pathfinder forum to see what they do for the trans service. On the 2019 Pathfinder with the 3.5 and CVT trans there is no dipstick. They drain and fill from the bottom. There is also a transmission filter that appears to be easily replaced on these CVT transmissions. I'm going to get under our '18 today and see if it's the same set up.
I've got a 2013 JX35. I wasn't aware that they removed the tube.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The tube is still there, but there is no actual metal dipstick attached to the plastic cap. You can use the dipstick-less tube to fill the transmission with the NS3 fluid, it is not required to fill the transmission from the bottom fill port. However if you are a technician trying to make time on this service, not having to drop the car down on the hoist to fill the transmission and then put if back up to check the level...well you can see the efficiency of being able to do both the fill and level checking from the bottom side of the car without having to change the height on the hoist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would prefer filling the trans through the tube but that cap will not release no matter what I do with the flat head screwdriver in the slot. I've tried multiple different size screwdrivers, pushed the tab in, pushed it out, pulled like a mother on the cap and get nothing. Highly frustrating design. I guess they designed it to keep the DIY crowd coming back to the service department.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I bought a 12V fluid pump off Amazon and used it to pump the fluid out through the fill tube. I managed to get a gallon out. It beats crawling under the car.
That's good to know, and same amount of fluid I drained from the bottom of my car.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Unfortunately Nissan wanted to save a few pennies so they got rid of the dip stick and moved to the leveling approach, removing a screw and letting excess fluid drain out. Maybe it's easier for service bays with lifts, but harder for those scooching underneath.

Mine fortunately came with a dipstick as well (JX35 '13)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to get the Nissan NS3 through Courtesy Nissan in Richardson, Tx a little cheaper than 19.99 per qt.. The counter guy told me if I bought it online the price is 13.97 per qt. FYI the part number is 999MP-CV0NS3. You need that if you want to buy it online.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Charlie, Did you get the tranny filler cap off?

What a pain that thing is. I removed the plastic air-intake to free up a little extra space.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Unfortunately Nissan wanted to save a few pennies so they got rid of the dip stick and moved to the leveling approach, removing a screw and letting excess fluid drain out. Maybe it's easier for service bays with lifts, but harder for those scooching underneath.

Mine fortunately came with a dipstick as well (JX35 '13)
Well it could always be worse. My GLE doesn’t have an oil dipstick. You have to check the oil level via a sensor. Have to give the Germans credit for making something simple, complicated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeller, yes I was finally able to get that cap off. I took an exacto knife and cut that little tab off that locked it on so now I can push the cap on and pull it off with one hand and no cussing. Also of note there is no dipstick on the '18.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drained and refilled 3qts 9 oz from the transmission yesterday. I also replaced the small filter located on the left side of the trans when you are facing the vehicle. The fluid came out fairly dark but I don't really have anything to compare it with. I plan on driving it for a few weeks and then I'll do another drain and fill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts