Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 QX60 AWD Signature Edition
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used the original equipment Toyo Open Country A25 tires in snow? If so, how did they work?

Since our QX60 was new, we have been getting a lot of tire spinning with the Toyos when accelerating from a stop -- in the dry and wet, so we're concerned about how they will do on a trip to Colorado this winter. I'm looking at some all-season tire options, but it's a shame to spend $750-$950 on a set of new tires when ours have less than 10K miles on them. BTW, our Infiniti dealer says the car's traction control system is working fine, and hinted that they've heard other complaints about the Toyos.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
They're passable until you hit ~15K miles. After 20K, I'd get new tires.

But I'm a tire nerd. I have snow tires for my Q50 Red Sport. I run them from December through April.

If its only one trip, I'd probably just take it easy and go for it. If you're going to do it regularly, YMMV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sinecure,

Thanks for your comments. I'm a tire geek, too. My wife is on my case about the tire spinning, so my primary goal is to get a tire that won't spin under moderate acceleration, but I'd want it to work OK on occasional trips to Northern NM and Colorado. Obviously I'd like to put off the purchase, but odds are I'll do something in the next few months. Any recommendations? I'm looking at these:

Continental Cross Contact LX20 with EcoPlus
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus (3 peak rating)
Michelin Defender LTX M/S because it gets rave reviews at TireRack.com, although I'm concerned that it will reduce fuel mileage. And heck, it's a light truck tire.

I had a set of the the Michelin Premier LTX on a GMC Acadia and loved them, but they lasted only 22K miles. However, they were 255-60x19, whereas the QX60 uses 235-65x18, so it's a higher profile tire and may have different wear characteristics. Whatever I get, I want them to last 30K-40K miles, because the car is leased and I don't want to buy yet another set.

It's a shame there aren't more people on this forum.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
In general, a tire with lots of sipes in the tread will deal with snow and ice better than one with fewer sipes (sipes are the little slits in the tread blocks). The Michelin has a bunch of them, and I've had similar Michelins that worked well in snow (Cross-Terrain on the MDX). If you look at the tread pattern of the Michelin X-Ice, you'll see what I mean about sipes.

My son had the Pirelli snow tires on his car that had a similar tread pattern to the one you mentioned. They worked well.

Why the Defender over the Premier Michelin? Not criticising, just curious. Both look good to me. And as long as they aren't loud, nothing wrong with light truck tires on this light(ish) "truck".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why the Defender over the Premier Michelin? Not criticising, just curious. Both look good to me. And as long as they aren't loud, nothing wrong with light truck tires on this light(ish) "truck".
I had the Michelin Premier LTX tires on a GMC Acadia and loved them, but at ~20K miles they were down to nearly 3/32" tread, so were probably good for only another 2000 miles or so. I've read similar comments by many folks on the Internet. They love the tires but can't always recommend because of poor tread life. On the other hand, users of the "truckish" Defender LTX M/S say it lasts longer and does everything well, but uses more gas.

Regarding snow tires, when I lived at 9600 ft elevation in the CO mountains I had a set of Yokohama Guardex tires on a 95 Mazda 626 (FWD, no traction control). They worked awesome even when climbing up steep and twisty back roads. And I heard the Blizzaks worked even better. Lots of sipes no doubt contribute to traction, because the tread blocks on both tires have almost no resemblance to the clunky & noisy snow tires of old.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Just keep in mind that beyond 15-20K miles, any tire's snow/ice capabilities become really compromised.

I know people think its great and fine to get 40K+ miles from a tire. I'm happy if I get 20-30K. I know I'm a nerd about traction. But I just think its cheaper to pay $1000 for new tires than to pay my $1000 deductible to repair my car if I put it into a snow bank or rear end a car because I couldn't stop in time. And I've made each of those mistakes before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Toyo A25 Open Country tires that came with my Infiniti QX60 only lasted 19,000 miles. And I drive like a grandapa!

The dealer fixed me up with a set of pirelli tires with a steep discount. They would not have given a discount like that unless they knew those tires had issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm following up here on my tire questions. Ended up buying Michelin Defender LTX M+S rated tires a few months ago. Spinning the front tires under moderate (or even heavy) acceleration is no longer an issue. My wife says the car feels more stable and secure, especially in the wet.

The real test was a trip from North Texas to Colorado in late December. It was snowing like crazy as we drove up Hoosier pass then down the other side into Breckenridge. Had a minor slip on a downhill off-camber 180 degree turn, but other than that the car never set a foot wrong, even though it's not AWD. We then visited some friends in Evergreen, CO, and made it just fine up a steep snow-covered driveway with two sharp switchbacks. Negatives? None yet. Fuel mileage hasn't changed, and the tires are quiet.

As for price, I bought the tires at a local Discount Tire store for $980 out the door, including road hazard warranty. But we also received two $99 Visa gift cards as a rebate. So, net price was $782 installed. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMO they suck, after about 30k they got real greasy, thanksgiving this year about 3” of snow here they had no directional stability or stopping power. Replaced with Sumitomo’s we haven’t had any snowfall to speak of since installing that’s 10k miles ago I’ll post if I have more issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO they suck, after about 30k they got real greasy, thanksgiving this year about 3” of snow here they had no directional stability or stopping power.
Are you referring to the Toyo A25?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts