Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if towing a small trailer carrying a couple of kayaks would hurt anything. I'll be traveling about 1200 miles round trip. All together the trailer loaded only weighs in around 350-400# if that.

Should I be to concerned about this?

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Short answer is no, you shouldn't be concerned about this. The QX tows up to 3,500 lbs.

Towing does put additional strain on the motor and transmission (just like stuffing 7 adults inside). Take it easy if you plan to travel at high altitudes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Short answer is no, you shouldn't be concerned about this. The QX tows up to 3,500 lbs.

Towing does put additional strain on the motor and transmission (just like stuffing 7 adults inside). Take it easy if you plan to travel at high altitudes.
Just wanted to add that the 2015/2016 QX Models are rated for 5,000lbs which is a pretty decent standard rating.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm wondering if towing a small trailer carrying a couple of kayaks would hurt anything. I'll be traveling about 1200 miles round trip. All together the trailer loaded only weighs in around 350-400# if that.

Should I be to concerned about this?

Thanks
Nope -- as the others have said, no problem.

Last year I moved from California to Virginia, with a layover in Georgia. I own a QX60 Hybrid, and on the first leg of the cross country trip I towed 4X8 U-Haul trailer from Los Angeles to Warner Robins, Georgia with no issues whatsoever. The trailer weighed 1600 pounds (weighed on a CAT scale) and I averaged 17 MPG over 2300 miles on 87 Octane fuel at 70 MPH.

For the second leg of the trip, I towed a 5x8 U-Haul trailer from Warner Robins, GA to Fredericksburg, VA (523 miles). The trailer weighed 2,000 lbs, I set the cruise control to 70 MPH, and burned regular (87 Octane) fuel again. I used at total of 38.05 gallons, and averaged 14.5 MPG with the 5X8 trailer, which is a foot wider and 2 feet higher than the 4X8 trailer.

I found the hybrid QX60 to be an excellent trailer hauler, the CVT transmission was always in the perfect gear. I had no issues whatsoever climbing the grades in Arizona and New Mexico on I-40 and maintaining 70 MPH. The engine never turned more than 4000 RPM and only did so briefly. Most of time it was turning around 2200 rpm.

The V6 engine should perform even better, as the Hybrid has a supercharged 4 cylinder, and has a tow limit of 3500 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts