Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
I am thinking of installing a tow hitch (7-way wiring) for towing a ~3000 lb moving home trailer on my FWD qx60 (2015, 65K miles). I was wondering if anyone think that's a good idea or whether it would stress the car too much? Also, the installation at the dealership is going to cost at least $1100 and I will have to buy the ball separately. UHAUL seems to do it for ~$500. I live in Houston area so I think service stores have experience with this but not sure if 1) worth the $600 difference and 2) is it too much to stress the car with towing 3000 lb?
Also, as a novice, how difficult do you think driving with a 25 foot trailer is going to be ? I've drive nan 32 foot moving truck before cross country without issues but didnt have a trailer. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Read pages pages 9-14 thru 9-23 in the 2015 QX60 owners manual first.

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) information you need is on the placard on the drivers door jam. The calculation on page 9-21 is an example, the values of the QX60 are lower = your QX60 Maximum Gross Combined Weight (GCWR) rating is 10000 lbs. You will need to estimate the weight of the stocked trailer, supplies, luggage and people -- both in the trailer and car. To be sure, you'd have to measure on a scale at a truck stop. My guess is loaded, you'll be over the GCWR. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rooster. You're right, I should have looked. The loaded trailer is 2800 lb with everything in it so technically it may pass. however, I was reading more on this and I learnt that with front-wheel drive, trailers are not recommended due to imbalance in weight at the back. Not sure if this has been anyone's experience before.

·
Registered
588 Posts
There are a few towing threads on this site, I recommend reviewing for additional feedback.

From a looks perspective, the dealer installed hitch will look integrated into the overall look of the car (assuming the hitch you need is the same as the factory installed version) while the uhaul version will hang below the vehicle. I purchased the dealer installed version and it has worked well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts