Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So just like 99.9% of you (save for the odd musician and/or cat person) ... I've got a growing family and desperately need more space.

I, however, am slightly different from you guys and live in Germany with my German wife and hybrid German-American kids. Due to the strong euro against the USD it makes financial sense to purchase something in the U.S. or Canada and ship it to Germany.

My wife and I had settled on the VW Atlas 2.0t SEL due to gas mileage, its ability to hold a ton of people and comfort ... then I started digging around on Autotrader, and stumbled on the QX60. The pragmatist in me says "There's my next car" the millennial dad in me says "Oh God, a CVT."

1) The North American maps do me less than no good. How does one go about updating the maps? It seems its a multiple-hour operation. I know Infiniti has a presence here in Germany so getting map DVDs shouldn't be impossible, but a 2017/2018 vehicle still uses DVDs?

2) My single largest concern is the rear turn signals, actually. In Germany a car will not be allowed on public roads for any reason (unless you're a diplomat or a member of the US or Canadian militaries) unless it has ORANGE rear blinkers. I see the QX60 has red rear blinkers and the plastic blinker lens is actually red. Is anyone here aware of a part number which makes the rear blinker part either clear or orange?

3) If one of the rear reverse lights was to go out, would it display an error message on the infotainment screen? In Germany, a rear fog light is required, and its normally done via swapping out the reverse light bulb on the drivers side with a red LED And setting up a separate switch for this purpose. Thoughts?

4) Is the CVT actually as bad as I keep reading about? I mean, the same transmission was sold here in the Nissan Qashqai so parts and support are here, but is this thing actually the ticking time-bomb everyone makes it out to be? No warranty support here given its an grey-market vehicle, so all costs would be out of pocket. I am very mechanically inclined, if it helps.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
A 17/18 uses an SD card for maps data. Updating/changing should just be a matter of getting the right card and code.

Does China have the same turn signal restrictions as yurup? If so, maybe there's a way to source an amber turn signal light housing. Not sure. I think we ship this car to china.

A burned out bulb would give you some sort of alert (I think it makes the blinkers blink super fast). But if you put a red bulb in there, I don't imagine that would cause problems. FWIW, I think the single rear fog light is one of yurup's dumbest laws.

I like the CVT in the current version. The '13 and '14 car wasn't tuned the same and I didn't love it at first. But for any kind of non-performance driving, I think the CVT is perfectly suited. It is smooth and nice. No mechanical issues with it on any of the recent years' vehicles.

But if I were you, I'd buy the Atlas just for convenience of service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Gatriel,
This really doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. BUT, having a vehicle that no one else has... Amazing!
You'll be the talk of the town! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts