Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New member here and just wanted to get an idea of what I should be aware of before buying Infinity QX60 or Qx60 hybrid. Buying 2014 or 2015 CPO from a major dealer and just want wanted to see if something fails or is a trouble in these cars?

Maintenance costs?
Your avg MPG?
Comfortable for every day use?

I really appreciate everybody's help :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Would not recommend the hybrid based on what I've heard about issues with the batteries. Buying CPO from a reputable dealer is the best way to go. I highly recommend going for a fully loaded model if you can find it. Make sure tranny recall has been done or have them do it right after purchase. My dealer gave me a new transmission at 30k miles, free of charge under the CPO warranty. Try asking for that, see what they say. If you don't have kids you can skip the theater package but the tech package is worth it IMO. It's a very comfortable car, but a bit big and definitely SUV-like on gas consumption, so I'm driving my convertible more now and leave the QX60 for full family outings. Good luck!

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would not recommend the hybrid based on what I've heard about issues with the batteries. Buying CPO from a reputable dealer is the best way to go. I highly recommend going for a fully loaded model if you can find it. Make sure tranny recall has been done or have them do it right after purchase. My dealer gave me a new transmission at 30k miles, free of charge under the CPO warranty. Try asking for that, see what they say. If you don't have kids you can skip the theater package but the tech package is worth it IMO. It's a very comfortable car, but a bit big and definitely SUV-like on gas consumption, so I'm driving my convertible more now and leave the QX60 for full family outings. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your response, I think this answers why I am to seeing many hybrids available. I've had Prius, now a Lexus CT (both hybrids) and it was just automatic one getting a hybrid again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought 2015 qx 60 today, loved everything about it :). Here are the packages: THEATER PACKAGE, TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE, DELUXE TOURING PACKAGE, PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE, PREMIUM PACKAGE with two roofs, seat coolers. Very excited!

Will post pics when I pick it up

·
Registered
250 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
2020 QX60 AWD Signature Edition
26 Posts
One of the things that I don't like about Infinti's go-to-market strategy is all the darn packages needed to get features that are standard on other SUVs. For example, it's beyond comprehension that a near-luxury SUV like the 2018 QX60 doesn't include BLIS, a basic safety feature, as standard equipment. I'm surprised that I didn't have to buy a package to get A/C and power windows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch out for the Toyo A25 Open Country tires.

My Infiniti QX60 only got 19,000 miles with those tires. Maybe I got a bad set of tires?

I would recommend that you avoid those tires if you can.

·
Registered
2020 QX60 AWD Signature Edition
26 Posts
Watch out for the Toyo A25 Open Country tires.

My Infiniti QX60 only got 19,000 miles with those tires. Maybe I got a bad set of tires?

I would recommend that you avoid those tires if you can.
Well said, but hopefully a used QX60 will have some decent tires fitted. But, yes, if for some reason they are on the car, by all means have the dealer replace them.

On a front wheel drive QX60, the Toyo A25 tires will spin under wet and dry acceleration, especially when turning right. My wife absolutely hates them. Says she feels like a kid squealing tires in her upscale SUV, even when moderately accelerating from a stop.

Surprisingly, the tires seem to have decent lateral grip on wet roads. The car has never skipped sideways on her, even in a rain storm.

Bottom line is the Toyo A25 was probably the lowest cost tire Infiniti could find, which is something I'd expect from Kia, Hyundai, etc., but certainly not Infiniti.:eek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Would not recommend the hybrid based on what I've heard about issues with the batteries.
The hybrid has been treated unfairly in my opinion. I bought a one new back in 2014, and I still own it. It now has 60,000 miles and has been as reliable as my Honda commuter car. Any issue I’ve experience has been fixed by my dealer under warranty the first time, as with my Honda. I'm not aware of any issues with the battery and I wouldn’t have any second thoughts about buying a used one. However, the one thing you need to understand is it a mind hybrid, not a strong hybrid so you will need to gauge your expectations accordingly. If you want a strong hybrid, you will need to look elsewhere.

After living with my 2014 QX60 Hybrid for the past 5 years, it’s strong points are you get the same level of performance (acceleration and power) out of a 4 cylinder engine burning regular (87 Octane) fuel as you do in the V6 version burning Premium (91 Octane fuel) -- and the Hybrid gets better gas mileage. The hybrid engine is designed to burn regular, and here in Virginia Premium is 40-50 cents more a gallon than regular. As for gas mileage, with the A/C on I average a real world 26-27 MPG at a constant 70 MPH on the interstate, and about 25 MPG at a constant 75 MPH with 4 people in the car. Around town in stop and go traffic I average about 20-21 MPG with the A/C on. If I turn the A/C climate system completely off and roll down the windows or open the sunroof, I will get 26 MPG and the engine will maximize the start and stop ability. On the Hybrid, the A/C compressor runs off an engine driven belt, so the engine must be running to operate A/C compressor. Also the climate fan and the ion air cleaner draw a lot of electrical power off the 12 volt battery, so the engine runs more often to keep it charged. I’d rather be comfortable so I run the A/C, and I am still averaging 2-4 MPG more than the on V6 QX60 around town using less expensive gas. So I find there is a good payback – it costs me ~23% less per mile to drive than the V6, with no perceptible loss in performance.
Here’s how I calculate my savings:

City Driving:
V6 Performance: 18 gallons, 18 MPG, Premium Fuel @ $4.00/gallon
Fill up: 18 gal x $4.00 gallon = $72
Distance = 18 MPG X 18 Gallons = 324 miles
$/mile = $72/324 miles = $.22 per mile

Hybrid Performance: 18 Gallons, 21 MPG, Regular Fuel @ $3.50/gallon
Fill up: 18 gal X $3.50 gallon =$63
Distance = 18 gal X 21 MPG = 378 miles
$/mile = $63/378 = $0.17 per mile

So I’m paying 17 cents a mile in my Hybrid, and V6 owners are my 22 cents per mile. My costs are 23% less – real world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts