Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a fully loaded qx60. Love the car.

We are having one issue, though. I can't figure out how to get movies on my iPhone 6 (or iPad Air) to play on the video screens.

I've searched these forums and the jx forums but haven't found any good solutions to use with the iPhone 6 and the lightning connector.

Has anyone found a solution? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You can't use the lightning connector. Thank Apple for their lovely DRM. Even my clients who work at Apple laugh about this.

You need to get a special cable that will take the video output and split it into RCA connectors. I think Apple makes such a cable, but there are probably third party options.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can't use the lightning connector. Thank Apple for their lovely DRM. Even my clients who work at Apple laugh about this.

You need to get a special cable that will take the video output and split it into RCA connectors. I think Apple makes such a cable, but there are probably third party options.
Yes, you should be able to get one online or at a best buy or car audio store. I actually just had a client do this and it works very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So what does something like that look like? A cable that plugs into my iPhone and then converts to RCA?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Specifically, it looks like this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable

$32 at the Apple iPhone store online. I've seen them at Target and Best Buy etc.

The lightning adapter goes into your iPhone and the RCA cables (yellow for video, red and white for left and right stereo sound) plug into the RCA jacks on the center console (located inside the center console next to the USB port for front passengers, or below the backseat temperature control unit in the second row).

To view you have to select the RCA jack used for the headrest. If the left headrest is on DVD and the right head rest is on the RCA jack the iPhone is using, The backseat passengers can watch two separate videos.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Make sure you get the one that has the lightning connector, Looks like I managed to link to the old style connector. Oh, and it's $39, not $32.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you gotten it to work yet? I went to bestbuy and was to no such connector works. After some research, I purchased
1. Lightning to hdmi cable
2. Hdmi to RCA converter
3. RCA cable 1.5 ft
Haven't tried it yet. Fingers crossed. Let me know if you found a solution. Will keep you posted on outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered this from Amazon -

There are cheaper ones available too but from the reviews it seems like their video quality is unreliable.

This effectively adds a HDMI port for the screens, which ideally should have been part of the theater package, in addition to the ancient composite AV inputs (even the Odyssey now gives a HDMI port). But this will open lot of options to get the videos from your phone/tablet to the car screen. I'm planning to use a Chromecast with it so my android phone/tablet screen itself can be transferred to the headrest monitors. Hopefully it will all work flawlessly.

But seriously this theater package from Infiniti is a rip-off. We didn't even want it but couldn't get the color combination and other packages without it. The screens are puny and seem to be low-res. Does anyone know what is the resolution on them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you explain how you set up the HDMI To RCA to get movies on iPhone to play on the video screen
So if you get the adapter I had linked earlier (
), you can basically connect any device with HDMI out to the QX60 screens. In other words, any device that plugs into your TV's HDMI input (like Apple TV) can be connected to this adapter. This opens up a whole lot of different ways to stream photos/videos from your phone/tablet wirelessly to the QX60 screens and you can choose the one that works best for you.

In my case I'm using Chromecast (Amazon.com: Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player: Electronics). You can get all the info needed about it on the internet.

Just to be clear, the only reason this adapter is needed is because most of the latest streaming devices have only HDMI out, so can not connect directly to the composite inputs the QX60 has. Also, another thing you'll need is to enable the personal hotspot on your phone to create a wifi network in the car which the streaming device can connect to. iPhone 4 and later have this feature, but it also has to be allowed by your service provider (AT&T does, don't know about other providers).

I just set it up in my car today and it is working fine and the video quality is also decent. There was some flickering initially, but found out that the problem was using either the 12v socket or the usb port as the power source. Plugged in both the HDMI->RCA adapter and the chromecast to the 110V outlet and it solved the issue.

Let me know if you want I can put together a step-by-step guide on how to setup the whole thing (including setting up the phone), but you shouldn't need it if you are familiar with streaming videos from your phone to your TV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am planning to use it wit Roku stick
Good choice. I think it is better than chromecast as it also comes with a remote. I already had 2 chromecasts for our TVs but wasn't using one of them much. So just used that one for the car. But may consider getting the Roku stick or something similar with a remote as it will be easier for our son to control instead of using a phone or tablet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having hard time connecting. I plugged my Chromcast to the output HDMI port in the convertor. Then I plugged in both the HDMI->RCA convertor and the chromecast to the 110V outlet. I also purchased RCA to RCA cable; one end is connected to the adaptor and the other end into the RCA ports in the rear console on my Infiniti. Chromcast is connected to my hotspot wifi. The Aux is enabled in my infiniti screen and then selected rear AUX. When I run any youtube video; I am getting no signal on the DVD player screen.

Can you please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just read your thread here and had one question. I am trying to connect my iphone 6 to the aux of the infinity rear TV's. I bought the hdmi converter box, hdmi cable, rca cable, and lightning converter and it all works when I mirror my phone, except there is no sound coming through the rear speakers. If i turn my wireless headphones on then I get sound, but nothing when the headphones are turned off.

I then tried connecting the red and white audio wires to the middle console red and white audio inputs, and the sound is coming through to the front speakers only, with the video in the back working. Is there anyway to display the video in the back AND have the audio playing in the rear speakers only (like the setting shows in the fron "rear speakers on/off"? Or can i only get sound in the back when the headphones are on?

Attached are photos of my setup.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm interested to see how this pan out as I'll be doing the same set-up.

Anyone think Infiniti/Nissan late in the game to provide HDMI support?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought the connector that converts the HDMI/USB to connect to my phone. im trying to stream netflix. we can see the menu and video choices, but when we push play i get sound and no picture on rear screens. i was able to watch and listen to a video i recorded on my phone. suggestions???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.