Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to hear that the QX60 will have a regenerative braking system. I'm not sure why all EVs and hybrids don't include this technology.

How effective is the braking system at recharging the battery? Is it a sizable difference?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Basically regenerative braking is re-capturing the kinetic energy from vehicle motion and converting it into another type of energy. Most commonly, we see kinetic energy converted into electricity to recharge the car's battery. In pure EV's, regenerative brakes are necessary to range and getting the most out of each charge.

When you apply the brakes, traditional brake pads bite down and let the kinetic energy dissipate as heat. Hybrid and electric cars can reverse the flow of power through their electric motors backwards to slow the car down. In a convenient engineering coincidence, electric generators and electric motors are one and the same. Friction and other energy losses still occur meaning that not all the energy is re-captured.

F1 teams use another type of regenerative braking system called KERS. KERS (kinetic energy recovery system) uses batteries or a flywheel to store the braking energy for later use. Whether or not KERS ever makes it to production vehicles depends on how the safety concerns are dealt with on the track. Motorsports have traditionally been the testing grounds for future road going tech, so any advancements made in either F1 or LeMans have the potential to influence future vehicles for sure.

Regen brakes are not without complications. Most hybrid and electric vehicles use electronic brake control units far more advanced then the average car. Blending friction and regenerative braking add another potential failure point to an imperative safety system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure I would want the Infiniti QX60 to feature this technology as it scares me for a couple of safety reasons. I have read that it is controlled by the accelerator pedal and not the foot brake, so brake lights wouldn't come on and you'd be left feeling paranoid of the traffic behind you every time you slow down. There ought to be some aftermarket solutions to this, as I'm sure there have been or there will be some legal issues surrounding this technology.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure I would want the Infiniti QX60 to feature this technology as it scares me for a couple of safety reasons. I have read that it is controlled by the accelerator pedal and not the foot brake, so brake lights wouldn't come on and you'd be left feeling paranoid of the traffic behind you every time you slow down. There ought to be some aftermarket solutions to this, as I'm sure there have been or there will be some legal issues surrounding this technology.
It seems like a pretty easy fix to just make the brake lights come on when the car is slowing down. How does the system get energy when it is attached to the accelerator? I am confused by this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It seems like a pretty easy fix to just make the brake lights come on when the car is slowing down. How does the system get energy when it is attached to the accelerator? I am confused by this.
The electric motors reverse the flow of power to the wheels when you hit the brake pedal. While accelerating picture the electric motor pushing power into the wheels, when breaking the electic motors act as generators and spool up by essentially sucking the power out of the wheels. A variation of this will be used on QX60 Hybrid, its called Direct Response Hybrid. Heres an Infiniti video about DRH pertaining to the Q50, but it applies to QX60 just the same

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its great to hear that the car drive well, although this is what I'd expect to hear from a video that Infiniti produced. Infiniti seems to have a good grasp of this regenerative braking system.

Do we know what the fuel economy on the QX60 hybrid is yet?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its great to hear that the car drive well, although this is what I'd expect to hear from a video that Infiniti produced. Infiniti seems to have a good grasp of this regenerative braking system.

Do we know what the fuel economy on the QX60 hybrid is yet?
QX60 gasser will do 20 city/26 hwy (mpg), Id expect the QX60 hyb to come in somewhere in the 25-27 city /30-35 hwy.

My guess is based off Q50 figures, The Q50 gasser does 20 city/29 hwy and the hyb does 29 city/ 36 hwy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts