Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My QX60 is a 2014 model and has only 2.5k. miles on it but AC system blows stinking air through vents, especially when "Recirculation" mode is on. I have used AC only twice or three times so far, so I don't think that air filter is dirty or blocked. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet, I'll do it today and see if the filter is blocked although the car is new and AC has not been used more than twice so far.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you find the filter is clean, then if take it to the dealer and have them check the ducts for a dead rodent. They can crawl in there and nest, especially if you are not using the system, much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My QX60 is a 2014 model and has only 2.5k. miles on it but AC system blows stinking air through vents, especially when "Recirculation" mode is on. I have used AC only twice or three times so far, so I don't think that air filter is dirty or blocked. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Check your cabin air filter first to see if its dirty. If not then go to your general auto source store and pick up vent air cleaner spray they should carry these. Tell the clerk your issue and ask for the solution spray.

Clean Air® Eliminates odors<br>throughout cooling/heating system!

This should do it. I just spray mine not too long ago fixed it right up. I've had this happen to almost all my vehicles especially if you use the A/C alot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also make sure to run the fans 2-3min after turning off the AC. Never turn off the SUV with AC ON

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why should you never turn off vehicle while AC is on? I live in Texas so if we are out and about i like to use my automatic car starter so the car can cool down while we load our 2 kids.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Why should you never turn off vehicle while AC is on? I live in Texas so if we are out and about i like to use my automatic car starter so the car can cool down while we load our 2 kids.
I also live in Texas and haven't experienced the mold-growth you're referring to. I'm at 50k and nearly 3 years.

You should have the dealer pull it apart and fix under warranty since it happened so quickly. They'll probably pull some "this is normal" comment, which isn't' true. Stick to your guns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, actually that awfull smell stopped coming in without any interference, so I am not sure what the actual reason was. Looks like it was some rodent that hid and died there (we have cats in the yard) and decayed completely after some time. Thanks for help and advice guys :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I experienced the same thing this spring-early summer season when I started using the A/C. eventually, it went away. the car is usually parking in my home garage or metro-parking garage. So, I'm not sure what it was from

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was experiencing that in CA, which has dry climate. I have since moved to VA which has humid climate and I no longer have the smell. Do you live in a dry climate? In VA the higher humidity creates a lot more condensation than in CA, so more water flushes trough the condenser and drainage tube...apparently taking any mold and mildew with it.

Bottom line, I had small puddles of water under the car in CA and had a bad smell when starting the AC, I now have large puddles of water under the car in VA and no smell. That surprises me, you would think it would be the opposite!

·
Registered
76 Posts
As for me, I do live in VA (northern VA)

I was experiencing that in CA, which has dry climate. I have since moved to VA which has humid climate and I no longer have the smell. Do you live in a dry climate? In VA the higher humidity creates a lot more condensation than in CA, so more water flushes trough the condenser and drainage tube...apparently taking any mold and mildew with it.

Bottom line, I had small puddles of water under the car in CA and had a bad smell when starting the AC, I now have large puddles of water under the car in VA and no smell. That surprises me, you would think it would be the opposite!

·
Registered
76 Posts
As for me, I do live in northern VA (Sterling, Herndon, Reston area)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think you can find are fresheners that clip on to the vents of your vehicle, Febreeze might be one of the brands that offers them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts