Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had earlier written about our QX60 experiencing the CVT stutter issue here

http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/n...713-3-months-1800-miles-cvt-stutter-hits.html

Over the last few weeks, I have not had much time to drive the car around. However, over the 200 miles or so that I have actually driven, I experienced the same CVT issue about 5-6 times.

However, there is a catch. All these instances were unintentional. I was not specifically trying to get the CVT to behave that way.

Whenever I have consciously tried to replicate the issue - I have failed.

I do not have the time (or patience) to go back and forth with the dealership. I would like to demonstrate the exact issue to them and have then take it from there. Hence the desire to be able to repeat the issue at will.

If someone has actually done this, I would appreciate your comments on how I can demonstrate this to the dealership. I know that it takes some combination of slow speeds (15-20mph) and slight acceleration into a turn or going uphill to trigger it but so far I have been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check the Nissan Pathfinder forums - there are details on how to recreate, but it's an intermittent issue.
As noted by other QX60 owners, get the issue documented with your Infiniti dealer.
Can't see how you can avoid not going back and forth with the dealership if you want them to fix it....
Dealer will need to replicate the shudder to fix it under TSB - 13086. If the dealer replicates your shudder, they will determine if it is the TC (torque converter) shudder, which can be fixed with a new TC, or the pressure judder. I've also heard some dealers just attempt a re-programming of the TC. The pressure judder is being repaired with a new CVT.
Good luck and let us know your progress.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Call your service adviser and ask them about it. I'd be surprised if they are total sticklers about replicating the problem in this instance. It is a pretty well-known problem now. They should recognize that, but its worth a call. Explain that you aren't sure you'll be able to demonstrate the problem when you come in, but what is happening and when.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would even advise that they keep the vehicle for a day if they can't replicate it on the spot when you go and give you a rental or loaner car while your car is in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shudder not fixed

Sent my QX60 to Bonita Springs Infiniti last month for repair of shudder. They said transmission was up to spec, no repair made. Traveled to Alabama, almost every time I was gently accelerating up a grade, say in a parking lot, I would feel the shudder. I'm calling them again on Monday. I'm looking at the new Audi SUV due out late 2014, early 2015 to replace if I cannot get it fixed. I'm not quite at the never again with Infiniti, but they are making it hard.:mad:

·
Registered
323 Posts
wow that's horrible, It might be worth it to look into the lemon law and get to know it because it just might come down to that and you can use this law to you advantage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bonita Springs Infiniti has my QX60 for the weekend. Hopefully they will fix it this time. I really noticed the shudder on vacation in the hills of Alabama. Going slow uphill with very light acceleration, the QX60 would really shudder. I had to back off the gas and accelerate again to get it to stop. Very annoying. Infiniti has a few more chances to fix it before the Lemon Law in Florida would apply. Good Luck to all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good luck, hopefully they do come to a resolution with it. Thankfully there is always the lemon law to protect us consumers so, if it does go on and no fix is done, then there's that to fall back on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What I have been able to determine is that the lock-up clutch engages at about 20MPH and that the shudder occurs when it attempts to lock up. A reprogramming of the transmission control module seems to help. Mine was better after they did the reprogramming. However I developed the hesitation problem when accelerating from a standing stop. Got fed up with it and got them to replace it with a new Q60 after paying them some "boot". So far the new Q60 is ok. (2500 miles)

·
Registered
136 Posts
What I have been able to determine is that the lock-up clutch engages at about 20MPH and that the shudder occurs when it attempts to lock up. A reprogramming of the transmission control module seems to help. Mine was better after they did the reprogramming. However I developed the hesitation problem when accelerating from a standing stop. Got fed up with it and got them to replace it with a new Q60 after paying them some "boot". So far the new Q60 is ok. (2500 miles)
That sounds about right to me - before the re-program it seemed like it was trying to either switch into second or a better description would be like you said - locking up the converter.

I have only had the hesitation happen once after the re-program. Seems good so far. I have put about 5k miles on it since the re-program.

I assume you mean you got a new Qx60 as a replacement - what year? 2014 or 2015?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
We're down to the QX60 as one of two finalist options for our next vehicle. It's very difficult from the boards to understand the transmission issue because we only hear from those who have problems, with an occasional "I don't have any problems here!" thrown in.

Has anyone been able to determine precisely what percentage of cars experience either the Torque Converter or CVT problem? When Infiniti fixes it, do you get a loaner car?

How many of you would purchase this car again?

Thank you
Dave

Please note this is a duplicate of my post at: http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/2...81882-transmission-issues-fixed-2015-a-2.html I wanted to best ensure that a broad audience saw this question.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By the way, since there was a software change in the 2015 on the QX60 transmission, it would be helpful for those who have concerns, to post what year model that they are driving or inquiring about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are about 100,000 jx/qx60s out there, near as I can tell from published numbers I've found. The problem seems rare (but if it happens to you, it seems like a catastrophe, I know).

Looking at self-reporting sites like this forum and the one you point to, are fairly useless as far as a statistical model goes. They are good for identifying possible issues, but not how likely they are to occur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts