Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

Soft Brakes and Violent Seat Belt Retraction

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  yeller 
#1 ·
Our 2014’s brakes are spongy/soft. I can pump the pedal and the brake will go back to being tight. Many times when we go to break our seat belts will violently retract as if in impact. Been dealing with this for two years. Dealership sends us home every time as they aren’t able to replicate the issues. They’ve replaced the brake fluid to no avail. Next is to replace the ABS actuator. I’ve seen a few posts on this but no follow ups. One person replaced their actuator which fixed the issues but they came back 9mos later. Don’t want to spend 3k on a actuator for it to not fix it! Anyone deal with this and have a solution?

#2 ·
Sounds like something odd is going on...has the dealer been able to duplicate the soft peddle? Recommend you schedule an appointment to have a master tech (not the service advisor) ride with you and you show them the issue. Have the tech drive it with you to verify he experiences the soft peddle.

#3 ·
We’ve been sent away from the dealership twice because they couldn’t duplicate the issues. Spoke with the service rep a couple times today and he has been researching it more. He threw out some ideas on possible fixes but nothing for certain. I really don’t want to experiment with different “fixes” all on my dime.

#4 ·
Did you ever get this figured out? I’ve had the same thing going on with my 2015 Infiniti. It does it constantly for several days. And then it doesn’t happen at all for a week or two. I got my brakes replaced and the fluid changed. And that didn’t even help.

#6 ·
Terrifying for sure. I also have a 2015 QX60 and the issue started last year, then stopped. The last couple of days I noticed/felt the soft break again and in a matter of seconds the seatbelt would violently retract. I called Infiniti and they asked me to bring it in. Thankfully, the advisor rode with me and it did it 3 or 4 times with our short drive. He said he had heard complaints about this but has never been able to catch it in action. My car also does not have any warning lights and is not safe to drive like this. I am terrified, and I was in tears after it did this 50+ times yesterday. Technician said he will have to file a complaint with Infiniti and ask them what can be done. After reading other posts, I’m assuming since this is a SAFETY issue, it will be covered. Fingers crossed.

#10 ·
Great to hear it happened with the technician riding with you. Please update if they take action and solve the problem for you. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Great to hear it happened with the technician riding with you. Please update if they take action and solve the problem for you. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Was anything found out on this? My 2014 QX60 is doing the same exact thing. I have brought it to the dealership and they can not recreate the problem. This is a major safety issue.