Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or are the wheels on the 2015 qx60 too skinny and tucked under the vehicle too far. My OCD is going crazy and I am looking for new wheels with an offset. Anyone else feel this way and what did you do to correct it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it just me or are the wheels on the 2015 qx60 too skinny and tucked under the vehicle too far. My OCD is going crazy and I am looking for new wheels with an offset. Anyone else feel this way and what did you do to correct it?
What size tires do you have? The 2015 QX60 has either 235/65x18 or 235/55x20. BOTH are the same 235 mm section width (around 9.25" at the widest point). The first is 30" tall, the second is 30.2" tall. The 20" wheels & tires are more "sporty" looking and probably the better handling of the two, but I'd guess the ride is harsher.

If you decide to get wider wheel & tires, be sure to keep overall tire height in the range of 30", or your ABS and stability control systems may not function as designed, and your speedometer and odometer would be off. Even a 1" difference in height (like with a wider 255/45x20 tire) results in the speedometer & odometer being off by 3%.

As for doing nothing but trying to find a wheel with more offset, I'm not sure how that would affect vehicle dynamics, but IMO it wouldn't look too good! If you do find, for example, a 1" wider wheel, I'd want it to be 1/2" wider inside and out, not 1" on the outer side.

Finally, I'd suggest calling Tire Rack and asking for their advice. https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=Infiniti&autoModel=QX60&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=FWD&package=true

·
Registered
36 Posts
i upgraded my tire size from 235-55-20 to 255-50-20. they are almost identical in overall diameter. it looks a lot better.. i agree. the OE were too skinny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the '20s' and the ride is smooth and the handling is very nice at whatever speed
I was looking for the exact answer. I just got a new 2020 Edition 30 QX60 and feel the same way. The wheels are skinny and tucked inside the wheel wells. Looks bad like an old american lincoln or cadillac. I am going to put the 255 tires as well. Let me know which ones you got for your car and whether or not there is any rubbing on the inside during turns due to the increased width? Let me know the brand and model of the tires please and whether the ride is the same, better or worse.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking for the exact answer. I just got a new 2020 Edition 30 QX60 and feel the same way. The wheels are skinny and tucked inside the wheel wells. Looks bad like an old american lincoln or cadillac. I am going to put the 255 tires as well. Let me know which ones you got for your car and whether or not there is any rubbing on the inside during turns due to the increased width? Let me know the brand and model of the tires please and whether the ride is the same, better or worse.

Thank you.
On another note, how do you like your 2020? Did you compare against others? If so, what helped you land on the QX60?

·
Registered
3 Posts
On another note, how do you like your 2020? Did you compare against others? If so, what helped you land on the QX60?
I started looking in March. Since this car is for my family (wife, 10y and 6y old kids) i was more focused on inside space, specially the third row. She is pretty much a soccer mom. Given that, I don't think any of the others have the kind of leg room this car offers. Among other things, the motor is responsive. MDX lags on acceleration and the third row is pretty tight. Though MDX is wider but shorter than QX60 which is why the QX offers more leg room. I checked the RX350 as well but its interior is even more small and the material quality is not as good. My first choice was the MDX but my wife insisted on the QX because of the interior room and power. She gets frustrated quite easy and likes to take it out on the gas pedal.... when the car doesnt go fast right away...the situation gets worse.. gets really uncomfortable for the passengers lol. The biggest thing i dont like about the QX is the driver ergonomics. I am a big guy and when i try to put the seat all the way to the bottom the steering feels like i am driving a semi. The wheel tends to change the angle upwards as you tilt it up and the grip on the wheel gets uncomfy. I have to lean forward making U turns or even 90 degree turns because i cant reach the top of the steering wheel. Other than that, technology is dated. Lane centering is not really lane centering, it applies brakes on other opposite wheels from the direction of the drift which isn't really effective. MDX lane centering is very good in comparison. Sorry for the novel.

Can you please tell me the brand and model of the tires you got. I might as well get the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started looking in March. Since this car is for my family (wife, 10y and 6y old kids) i was more focused on inside space, specially the third row. She is pretty much a soccer mom. Given that, I don't think any of the others have the kind of leg room this car offers. Among other things, the motor is responsive. MDX lags on acceleration and the third row is pretty tight. Though MDX is wider but shorter than QX60 which is why the QX offers more leg room. I checked the RX350 as well but its interior is even more small and the material quality is not as good. My first choice was the MDX but my wife insisted on the QX because of the interior room and power. She gets frustrated quite easy and likes to take it out on the gas pedal.... when the car doesnt go fast right away...the situation gets worse.. gets really uncomfortable for the passengers lol. The biggest thing i dont like about the QX is the driver ergonomics. I am a big guy and when i try to put the seat all the way to the bottom the steering feels like i am driving a semi. The wheel tends to change the angle upwards as you tilt it up and the grip on the wheel gets uncomfy. I have to lean forward making U turns or even 90 degree turns because i cant reach the top of the steering wheel. Other than that, technology is dated. Lane centering is not really lane centering, it applies brakes on other opposite wheels from the direction of the drift which isn't really effective. MDX lane centering is very good in comparison. Sorry for the novel.

Can you please tell me the brand and model of the tires you got. I might as well get the same.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I bought a pre-owned and love the space as well. Family of 5 with two involved in sports. My biggest gripe is the outdated infotainment, but at least it is more than functional. I have the 15 speaker Bose and it sounds great with whatever I connect to the system.

I had the same question as you about the tires in another thread. Many felt it wasn't worth putting a different size on them due to the negative impacts on the speedometer and other tire tech. I wanted to try some 55s as well. I just don't want to be the guinea pig. LOL. If I can get enough anecdotal responses in various forums, I may try at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts