Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this on Amazon for $30

Ramble -Car Shark Fin Antenna, SUV Aerials Modification, Auto Parts Accessories, Radio Signal Antennas for Nissan X Trail, Qashqai, Pathfinder, Rogue, Murano and Kicks (Advanced Style, Pearl White)

Fits and matches the paint! The reception is excellent as this had dual boards.

·
Registered
160 Posts
dang, those look really nice! Do they sell them in most all of the stock paint colors? I just noticed on my factory one that the back portion of it is not flush with my roofline. Is this normal? the front part of the antenna is flush, but the base of it looks flat, not curved with the roofline, so the result is that the front portion of the base is flush, but the back portion has a little gap under it. I have not yet been OCD enough to check out someone else's QX60 in a parking lot to compare, but figured since we were on the topic, I'd ask here too

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you referring to the base of the stick antenna? Because your car does not come with factory shark fin, so if you already have a shark fin, that's aftermarket and it could be installed wrong.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you referring to the base of the stick antenna? Because your car does not come with factory shark fin, so if you already have a shark fin, that's aftermarket and it could be installed wrong.
Yes, it is the base of the stick antenna. The back portion is not flush with the roof line. Possibly this is just how they come, it just looked wrong once I looked at it closely. Didn't know if anyone else's was like that and could confirm that this is just how they come from the factory. There's no water leak around it, so presumably a good seal where it does attach. Just looks strange to have that little gap on the back portion rather than being seated nicely along the sloping roofline.

Can you copy a link for where you got yours? My paint is the pearl white also, so I assume the colors are a good match? Also, is there a youtube video on how to take the old one off and put the shark fin style on? Or is it really complicated, or fairly straightforward to swap out?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is the base of the stick antenna. The back portion is not flush with the roof line. Possibly this is just how they come, it just looked wrong once I looked at it closely. Didn't know if anyone else's was like that and could confirm that this is just how they come from the factory. There's no water leak around it, so presumably a good seal where it does attach. Just looks strange to have that little gap on the back portion rather than being seated nicely along the sloping roofline.

Can you copy a link for where you got yours? My paint is the pearl white also, so I assume the colors are a good match? Also, is there a youtube video on how to take the old one off and put the shark fin style on? Or is it really complicated, or fairly straightforward to swap out?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is it hard to remove the factory antenna? is it hard to reattach the new one? or is it pretty straightforward? It looks like actually removing the factory one is the hardest part, then I imagine it to just be disconnecting a wire, reconnecting a wire, and using the 3m adhesive to attach it securely to the roof?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You don't need a template. The cover snuggly goes over the existing base, you can easily eyeball it. It's a 10 min install, at the most.

·
Registered
160 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gLrqSonMk

You don't need a template. The cover snuggly goes over the existing base, you can easily eyeball it. It's a 10 min install, at the most.
awesome! Good to know! How do you get the factory stick antenna off? I haven't looked at it at all yet. Is there a screw on the top that holds it on? or do you unscrew it, or pull on it a certain direction?

·
Registered
160 Posts

I ended up ordering this one. Same color too, as mine is the pearl white. Unfortunately on Amazon it looks like I won't be able to get it until mid-May, which seems kinda odd. But there was a 5% e-coupon, so I at least saved $1.45 LOL but found several youtube videos on how to install these. I didn't realize they mounted directly to where the rubber stick screws into the housing. I thought I was going to have to remove the whole base housing HA!! This will be much simpler to do than I thought. I feel silly now asking all those other questions LOL

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry, but I have ask why? Is the performance of this antenna better or something, or do you just like the look?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry, but I have ask why? Is the performance of this antenna better or something, or do you just like the look?
I can only answer this for myself personally, but my desire to swap the antenna out for the shark fin is frankly 100% cosmetic. Until I saw pictures of what it looked like when done, and then compared to my own black rubber stick version, it hadn't even occurred to me that I didn't care for the stick version. But once I saw the aesthetic difference and learned there was no functional loss in radio reception quality, I'm all for it. But as best I can tell, there won't be any improved performance, just better looks for my own personal tastes. And it was relatively inexpensive and seems pretty straightforward to install myself, so why not. If it was several hundred dollars and very laborious to do myself, I may have thought longer about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is a picture of what I meant by the base not being flush to the roofline. It came this way, so I was curious if anybody else has look like that as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought I was going to have to wait until mid-may to get that, but Amazon brought it to me over the weekend much to my surprise! Definitely only took me about 10 minutes to install, and five minutes of that was just spent trying to find our bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean the surface LOL Anyway, here are the before and after pictures; pretty much like everybody else's. Thank you for the recommendation and the link on Amazon. Great price and seems to work just as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I was going to have to wait until mid-may to get that, but Amazon brought it to me over the weekend much to my surprise! Definitely only took me about 10 minutes to install, and five minutes of that was just spent trying to find our bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean the surface LOL Anyway, here are the before and after pictures; pretty much like everybody else's. Thank you for the recommendation and the link on Amazon. Great price and seems to work just as well!
Nice!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow! That's inexpensive! Hopefully it still gets good reception and is the correct color (though admittedly it seems it would be hard to mess up 'black' LOL) and hopefully it fits the roofline and over the antenna base nicely! Post a pic and let us know how it turns out! If it's as simple to install as the one I did, that would totally be worth 10 bucks and about 10 min of time!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! That's inexpensive! Hopefully it still gets good reception and is the correct color (though admittedly it seems it would be hard to mess up 'black' LOL) and hopefully it fits the roofline and over the antenna base nicely! Post a pic and let us know how it turns out! If it's as simple to install as the one I did, that would totally be worth 10 bucks and about 10 min of time!

I'll definitely post a pic when I get it. It has the same depth as the one you and Golftango purchased so I have a good feeling it'll fit just right. Of course, my tranny just blew up yesterday so who knows when I'll have access to my JX but if anything it'll be sporting a shark-fin antenna with a grenaded tranny. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll definitely post a pic when I get it. It has the same depth as the one you and Golftango purchased so I have a good feeling it'll fit just right. Of course, my tranny just blew up yesterday so who knows when I'll have access to my JX but if anything it'll be sporting a shark-fin antenna with a grenaded tranny. :D
wow, that sucks about your tranny, but as you say, at least it'll look awesome sitting there LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts