Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once or twice a week while driving 10 to 15 mph in an open parking lot or side street the seat belts will violently retract as if the car thinks we're about to be in an accident or something. The belts will remain tightened for 5 to 10 seconds before releasing the tension and going back to normal operation. This is only a surprise when it's the wife and I in the front seats but then when it's the 91 year old Mother in-law or the employee who is 8 months pregnant it becomes a much more serious matter. Anybody else having this problem? :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have yet to hear about this problem. I would take it into the dealer and have them look at it. They should either switch the whole system out, or fix any software issues involved in this since it is such a big safety issue. Go ahead and call your dealer and see what they will do for you. Should all be under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, we have a have 2014 QX60 and are experiencing the identical issue. Seems to occur shortly after starting the vehicle that the seat belts pull pack forcefully and hold us in for about 5 to 7 seconds. It happens with one, two in the front seat and even when we have passengers in the back seat.
Very annoying, dealer has no answer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is supposed to do it initially when you first click the seat belt, but should not be a violent pull at all. It should almost just tighten to make sure the seatbelt has no slack around you, but should not be forceful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat Belt Surprise...a lot

I have the same issue; surprise violent retraction of the front and middle seat belts, usually followed by grunts and profanity. It happens when I a slowing to 15 or below, and all front and middle seat belts in use suddenly retract instantly, hold that retraction, and release in 4 or 5 seconds. It has happen 20 to 25 times in the past 2 months. Dealer says they cannot duplicate, and never heard of it before. I notice my brake pedal seems soft...slowly decreases to almost to the bottom of travel when the seat belts are triggered. Dealer says no, all Infiniti's have the soft pedal "feature". I drove a loaner Q50 sedan, and the brake seemed fine, not soft. They want me to keep a diary of when and how it happens to help. Very frustrating. Not sure I want a car that turns Christine-like (Stephen King ref) and tries to strangle me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye on this issue more. I've only had my QX for a few weeks, but during the first week, my 7 year old was complaining that the belt was getting too tight. He unclicked and reclicked the belt back because he was uncomfortable with the belt tightness. I didn't think much of it at the time, but perhaps my issue is related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - Help! Were any of you able to successfully get this fixed? I literally have whip lash from this exact issue! 2014 QX60. I used the Christine analogy as well. Dealer is struggling with figuring it out... Brakes get extremely soft (melt to floor) and then BAM...like getting punched.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi all
I experienced this for 2 years ago and got them to repair it. The ultimate culprit was the ABS controller. They replaced that under warranty and it didn't happen again for about 9 months. It happened again so I think the ABS controller is broken yet again. This also fixed the soft brakes issue that I experienced as well. I have a thread on this about soft brakes.

So good luck.

You can view my other post here
http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/2013-qx60-general-discussion-forum/80929-very-soft-brakes-intermittently.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the reply! Is yours a 2014? My dealership is about to give up because they can't duplicate the issue... I afraid to take the vehicle back!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi all
I experienced this for 2 years ago and got them to repair it. The ultimate culprit was the ABS controller. They replaced that under warranty and it didn't happen again for about 9 months. It happened again so I think the ABS controller is broken yet again. This also fixed the soft brakes issue that I experienced as well. I have a thread on this about soft brakes.

So good luck.

You can view my other post here
http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/2013-qx60-general-discussion-forum/80929-very-soft-brakes-intermittently.html
If your able to provide any details on the new part that would help, at least then some of us can go to the dealer and say xxxxxxxx part number is what's needed along with a software update.

Might speed up the process for some and even prevent some running around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your able to provide any details on the new part that would help, at least then some of us can go to the dealer and say xxxxxxxx part number is what's needed along with a software update.

Might speed up the process for some and even prevent some running around.
I'll see if I can find the repair invoice. The abs controller was changed out for a brand new one. Not software related.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So as an update, I took the car in today for normal service and noted that the seat belts again were tightening when I stepped on the brakes with no one around me. I noted that it was better after the ABS controller was replaced (Dec 2015) but it has happened 2 or 3 times since then sporadically. So I wondered if the ABS was going again. They looked at it and said that they ordered a seat belt control mechanism, there's 1 for each seat belt, for the driver seat. I noted that it's happening on the passenger seat as well and that maybe I need more than 1 replacement? Waiting to hear back when I pick up the car.

I'll say that I don't believe that the seat belt controllers are faulty. I still think it's the ABS controller. But the dealership seems to be willing to find something and it's under warranty.

I've got 26k miles for a 2013 JX35.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So as an update, I took the car in today for normal service and noted that the seat belts again were tightening when I stepped on the brakes with no one around me. I noted that it was better after the ABS controller was replaced (Dec 2015) but it has happened 2 or 3 times since then sporadically. So I wondered if the ABS was going again. They looked at it and said that they ordered a seat belt control mechanism, there's 1 for each seat belt, for the driver seat. I noted that it's happening on the passenger seat as well and that maybe I need more than 1 replacement? Waiting to hear back when I pick up the car.

I'll say that I don't believe that the seat belt controllers are faulty. I still think it's the ABS controller. But the dealership seems to be willing to find something and it's under warranty.

I've got 26k miles for a 2013 JX35.
Any update? We are dealing with the same issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts