Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may have read about the international carjacking ring that was busted in the NY-NJ area recently (link below). They were shipping these cars to West Africa.

The article mentioned Range Rovers, Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches etc. For once I was happy that Infiniti as a luxury brand has not penetrated whatever sh*thole these cars were being sent to.

However, when I looked at the pictures - there it was. A black QX60 right in front. Exactly like the one we just got!!

It scares me because this is primarily my wife's car to lug the kid around. I am not personally too worried about these carjackers as I am constantly running those scenarios through my mind and will not be surprised or shocked if something is attempted.

However, I am not sure how my wife will react under stress - especially with a child in the back seat.

For once, I wish Infiniti marketing were not as successful :(

State Police dismantle international crime ring that shipped cars from NJ to West Africa | NJ.com

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do NJ police really wear those outfits? It seems like he belonged to the Canadian Mounted police or something.

Carjackings and robberies can happen anywhere. Just look at what happened to Bruce Wayne's parents. But running those scenarios thru your head constantly must not be good on your stress.

I was shocked that I saw a JX this morning on CNN as well. I wasn't really bothered by it. It's a carjacking ring. I'm more bothered by the fact that thieves have the technology to open doors and start cars that require specific chips. Because I can then lose the car even w/o being there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do NJ police really wear those outfits?
Yup - NJ State Police.

Carjackings and robberies can happen anywhere.
Actually as with most other crimes in this country, carjackings were limited to neighborhoods that you typically would not visit.

The problem is that with all new cars going keyless ignition, thieves cannot hotwire cars any more. So they have resorted to carjacking in places that were hitherto 'safe' - safe suburbs, mall in those suburbs and highways to those suburbs.

Carjacking is now the fastest growing crime in NJ and towns that have not seen one in 20 years are starting to see those.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Ummm. If Infiniti Connection is hooked up and turned on with your vehicle, they should be able to track it once it is stolen.

My first response to this was "yep, sounds like NY - where it seems every third person is running some sort of scam."

Reactions: Dsuy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I let the Infiniti Connection lapse after the 1st year. I've always been a do-it-yourselfer type of person. So I've not had to use the service at all. So for $300 a year, it wasn't worth it for me. Maybe that will change later in my life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I let the Infiniti Connection lapse after the 1st year. I've always been a do-it-yourselfer type of person. So I've not had to use the service at all. So for $300 a year, it wasn't worth it for me. Maybe that will change later in my life.
I have heard that some Insurance companies give discounts for having some kind of tracking. I yet to actually inquire myself but I prob will now... If the discount offset the cost why not...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts