Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

Running boards not working!!! :(

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  RadioguyJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Mine is a 2015 QX60 - manufacturing date is Aug 2015.

Got these based on a lot of success stories in the forums.

APS RB-NO180S Black & Chrome Nerf Bar Bolt Over for select Nissan Pathfinder Models
http://www.amazon.com/APS-RB-NO180S-Chrome-select-Pathfinder/dp/B00HLPSBL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464140998&sr=8-2&keywords=pathfinder+running+boards

I am stuck in pretty much the very first step...!:(

Basically this step in this video doesnt work... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Isud67Hi0sA#t=122

The 10mm bolt plate DOESNT go inside the outer rim. I cannot "send" the flat plate entirely inside the holes...

Any ideas folks?

(I might have to return the kit otherwise; and it has been almost 2 months since I bought it from the Amazon seller so they probably wont take it back. Ugh...)

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for sharing. So I see 3 options:
1. drilling a bigger hole or
2. hammering it in or
3. cutting the 10mm plate to size (a little bit off its "head")

All except the cutting option means jacking the car up :| due to not enough clearance. Ugh. This will be a bigger project since I dont have the necessary equipment. Also I dont feel too safe working under a jacked up car in my own garage.

For Option 3, can I take the plates to some local place and have them sand off the extra metal? What kind of places do this type of job? Willing to pay a fair price for this type of work (obviously).

#4 ·
Aha, thanks very much Pinghung777! It was pretty buried so I missed it.

Here's the text inline for future readers... should make it easier to spot. For pics, see the post pinghung777 refers to above.

Just finished the installation. For those who is planning to install the Running Boards, here are a few experience that might help.

1. The 10mm bolt plates cannot fit into the front and center on passenger and driver side. Total of 8 X 10mm bolt plates that will have problem. Two options:

a. Make the Manufacture hole bigger. If you do it outside, most shop will likely go this way. i.e. drill the holes bigger or hammer the 10mm bolt plates into the holes.

b. Cut the 10mm bolt plates to allow it to fit into the hole. You will need a power metal cutter to do this.

I opted for option b to avoid drilling hole. See attached picture for the cut 10mm bolt plate. See picture 1.

2. The Passenger Side Front support bar cannot be installed. It was blacked my some pipe. See pictures 2 and 3. I decided to not install this piece and I hope it is ok.

3. The Running Board is about 1.5 inches too long for the QX60. Not a big deal. See picture 4.

I hope this information will be useful for others that are planning to install.

Jasper.

#6 ·
BTW, I have also send an email to the Amazon seller to see what they think of this issue. I am really hoping they can swap our bolt plates with smaller ones that actually fit (perhaps the mysterious 8mm bolt plates that have been referenced elsewhere in this context).

Copy of my email text:
==========================
Hi - recently purchased ur running boards to fit on my 2015 Infiniti QX60, based on Amazon reviews and also reviews among Infiniti owners. Unfortunately it seems to have a small snag - the 10mm bolt plates do NOT completely go into the holes on the underplate of the outer frame (step 2 in the instructions).

Looks like this is a known issue - we are tracking this on our forum at http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/appearance-body/85953-running-boards-not-working.html#post153105. Some members have run into this (not sure why others have not) - we wonder if we got the right parts in our case. Some of them have modded the parts to make them fit.

As the manufacturer of this equipment, we wanted to check with you on what other options may be available to us. For instance, perhaps there are slightly smaller 10mm bolt plates (some reviews mention an 8mm bolt plate) that would fit the QX60 better? Or any other options u can suggest.

Really appreciate your help with this matter.

Thanks much.
Sat
(On behalf of interested Infiniti QX60 owners)
=================================================

#7 ·
Just go buy a cheap bench grinder, or borrow one from a neighbor. That's all you need, in just a matter of seconds you can grind down those heads to fit. Leave 2 of them original size, as the holes closer to the center of the vehicle (for the support brackets) are larger than the ones along the edges.

#8 ·
I assume that if I grind the heads so it is now less of a "T" shape and more of a "L" shape, then the bolt plate wont hinge correctly when I tighten the flat plate to it. (hope u can visualize what I am saying)

Isnt it a better option to make the holes bigger? (of course, the worry there is messing up a 50K car :)).

#13 ·
No, it doesn't have to be mounted. Just set it on any flat surface and plug it in. Turn it on. The grinder wheel rotates toward you, so hold the bolt toward the bottom of the grinder wheel. Change angles for uniformity as you watch the excess metal grind away. Super easy to do. And oh yeah.....wear gloves and glasses! The sparks will fly, but they don't hurt your skin too badly.

After you grind down the first bolt head, you'll have an idea of how the remaining bolts need to be ground down.

PS, I am going to be undercoating my running boards with 3M rubberized undercoating. I think that will protect the boards and hardware from the harsh salt conditions of our Minnesota winters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.