Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 QX60 that’s coming up on the end of a lease. I paid to have the OEM tow hitch put on. Planning to get the 2019 QX60. My question is 2 parts.

1) Is the 2019 compatible with the same tow hitch from 2015? Are these difficult to put on, including harness?

2) What would happen to the lease return? The car didn’t come with the hitch, but does removing it leave a visible hole in the bumper? Is there an easy fix or is it an expensive bumper replacement to the point that I should just leave it on there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Yes, it will leave a hole in the bumper. Whether you'd get charged for that is an open question. The only way I can think of to answer it would be to remove your tow hitch and then order your lease-end inspection. Its an independent company that does inspections, not your dealer.

Both my technicians and my parts department are pretty sure the old hitch will bolt right up to the new car. And the wiring harness should work too. You'll need a new trim piece, plus you'll need the parts to relocate the sensor if you buy the car that has the kick-to-open hatch.

Are they difficult to put on? I think that depends on how handy you are. The wiring harness is a bit of a PITA since you have to take apart the plastic in the lower storage area. And trimming the bumper and adding the new finisher is something I would leave to a pro (YMMV).

If you end up doing this, please come back and post your experience. You won't be the last person to ask this question.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So everything Singcure just said is 100% correct. I just retrofitted an OEM trailer hit onto my 14 QX60 last month.

When you remove it they're be a hole.

Is it worth it to leave it on? Depends. I'd bet the adjuster for the lease return will ding you on the cost to replace the bumper as the hole being there is well, massive.

You can order a new harness, hitch and trim piece off of Amazon for less than $500. Putting it on is pretty easy, protip: if you don't have an air compressor at home and a pneumatic impact driver -- spend the $200 and get them too. There are 10 bolts which hold the trailer hitch in place, which go in a lot easier with a pneumatic impact driver than a wrench.

You'll also need to saw out the rear bumper in the new car -- spend $50 and get yourself a pneumatic air saw to do the cut.

Its a total DIY job, but you'll make your life a lot easier if you have someone help you hold the hitch in place before you can put a couple anchor bolts in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok so here’s my two cents for what it’s worth, leave the hitch on your ‘15 it’s not worth the hassle to get it off and put it back on. As Gabriel says these jobs are easier with a few compressed air powered tools, however I do have those tools and did not need them for this job. The toughest part was getting the hitch supported do I could secure one ride, the other was easy. Follow this link check the pictures and instructions this is the best alternative if your car does not have a factory hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Infiniti_QX60.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts