Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, has someone removed the front grille of the QX60 to either painted or replace it. If so, what is the best way to remove it without damaging the piece or the bumper?

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
I dipped my entire grill about 2 years back and have loved it since.

Originally I planned to pull the grill off but didn't see an easy way. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to apply the dip, cut cardboard and slotted the pieces behind the grill (in front of all the engine bits), then taped off the outside grill edges. Applied about 6 applications, waited about 10 minutes between each. Peeled the edges off and around the camera and I was done. In 2 years and nearly 35K the plastic dip hasn't chipped.

Another user did the entire grill but left the Infiniti logo chrome. Looks cool, like it's floating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dipped my entire grill about 2 years back and have loved it since.

Originally I planned to pull the grill off but didn't see an easy way. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to apply the dip, cut cardboard and slotted the pieces behind the grill (in front of all the engine bits), then taped off the outside grill edges. Applied about 6 applications, waited about 10 minutes between each. Peeled the edges off and around the camera and I was done. In 2 years and nearly 35K the plastic dip hasn't chipped.

Another user did the entire grill but left the Infiniti logo chrome. Looks cool, like it's floating.
Can you post pics. Have been going back and forth on whether I wanted to Plasti dip the trim on my Slate QX60.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here you go.

Nice, I went ahead and dipped mine the other night. I left the Infinite badge and I am thinking about removing the border and just leaving the cross sections in the middle dipped. I also dipped the back chrome on the top and bottom part between the licence plate. I might do the trim around the windows, fog lights, and back badges tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice, I went ahead and dipped mine the other night. I left the Infinite badge and I am thinking about removing the border and just leaving the cross sections in the middle dipped. I also dipped the back chrome on the top and bottom part between the licence plate. I might do the trim around the windows, fog lights, and back badges tonight.
Your nose looks good. I also dipped the back chrome and logo, and pulled off the rear model-badge. Next on my list is that big chrome bar across the side-bottom

I don't understand why Infiniti seems to think people love cheap-chrome splashed all over the vehicle. It looks horrible. Most car companies moved away from the excessive chrome, I guess Infiniti didn't get that message.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I like the look of Datch's picture more than yeller's. Sort of like wheels - I think they look better if you leave a little metal/chrome showing. Maybe I just like shiny things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar to the QX80 grille :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
now that I look at it I'm not sure.lol thats the joy of plastidip though, if you dont like it you can peel it right off.:D
I've seen people plastidip their rims, but for some reason it doesn't stay very long. Not sure if it's the metal or they just get more abuse.

The local dealership has a few Q60's (the old G37's) with Infiniti-branded black rims. I wasn't able to find anything for the QX60 so I'm hopeful they'll eventually make something. I haven't found anything in the aftermarket that looks good and fits the strange tire size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen people plastidip their rims, but for some reason it doesn't stay very long. Not sure if it's the metal or they just get more abuse.

The local dealership has a few Q60's (the old G37's) with Infiniti-branded black rims. I wasn't able to find anything for the QX60 so I'm hopeful they'll eventually make something. I haven't found anything in the aftermarket that looks good and fits the strange tire size.
I plastidipped my rims on my BMW, they definitely get more abuse but thats why you apply the additional coats. I never had any issues with peeling or anything. What I hated about the rims being plastidipped was the brake dust and dirt sticking causing them to look hella ashy. Yeah i looked as well for Infinity brand and found nothing....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update: I dipped my wheels shortly after taking delivery of my QX60 in March, 2016. The dip lasted over 2 years, came a little loose on one small area so I decided to re-spray them all. I used glossifier over the Dip, and have gotten many compliments on the appearance.
When I removed the old Plasti dip, the wheels underneath were absolutely pristine. The dip did a great job of protecting the wheels and kept them like brand new. Here are some pictures from before, during, and after....over the last 2+ years.

After delivery....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2vBQuw5ZRj8Magrp9

After 3 months after dipping.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HTByM3NtPVYxDx2Y9

2 years, 2 months after dipping....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hSdzJTVfFGJqzeiZ9

After dip removal, June 2018....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hVF9uTQxvCjop6ak7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ac1h63S4pVct8VMh8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b8b9hUG1c6Bq19Av9

I thought I had taken an after photo, after re-dipping them, but I guess I didn’t. They look awesome again, and I am confident I can get another 2 years out of this dip. Less than $50 in product and I get a color and coating that makes my wheels look great and protects them from the elements.

This week I am wrapping my grill black.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I dipped my rims and grill and liked it but didn't love it. Since then switched cars and had both painted gloss black and I like the result more. But cant beat the look of plastic dip for the price!

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Update: I dipped my wheels shortly after taking delivery of my QX60 in March, 2016. The dip lasted over 2 years, came a little loose on one small area so I decided to re-spray them all. I used glossifier over the Dip, and have gotten many compliments on the appearance.
When I removed the old Plasti dip, the wheels underneath were absolutely pristine. The dip did a great job of protecting the wheels and kept them like brand new. Here are some pictures from before, during, and after....over the last 2+ years.,,,.
Wow.... the rims look great. Thanks for he pics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks great. I plastidipped one car and painted the other. Hadn't thought about this. Any potential issues with the wrap and the engine bay heat?

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was thinking about the heat affecting the wrap as well. I assumed that heat might actually be a good thing for the wrap, but I guess time will tell. It’s a project that cost me about $11 to do, so I’m okay with it failing miserably if it does. I will keep you updated on the wrap and how it holds up.

·
Registered
698 Posts
When I removed the old Plasti dip, the wheels underneath were absolutely pristine. The dip did a great job of protecting the wheels and kept them like brand new. Here are some pictures from before, during, and after....over the last 2+ years.

After delivery....
New photo by Jason Karnitz

After 3 months after dipping.....

2 years, 2 months after dipping....

After dip removal, June 2018....

I thought I had taken an after photo, after re-dipping them, but I guess I didn’t. They look awesome again, and I am confident I can get another 2 years out of this dip. Less than $50 in product and I get a color and coating that makes my wheels look great and protects them from the elements.

This week I am wrapping my grill black.
What did you use to loosen plastidip?

My grill was dipped 5+ years back and chrome is peeking through. I'd like to apply a fresh coat or get a new grill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts