Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my maple trim is plastic but it looks very real. Is it?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Infiniti tells us it is real wood. Not sure if I believe them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I remember the process they claim to use, I think that "thin veneer of real wood embedded in plastic" would be the best description. It sure doesn't feel like wood and the sheen sure doesn't really look like it, either. The veneer is so thin they can actually wrap it around curves, too. Very strange stuff, if you believe them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a little bit of wood veneer encapsulated in some kind of clear resin. Certainly not old school eligence but attractive in its owe way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's vinyl. Pop open the center console lid. Look at the corner. Anyone who has ever wrapped a Christmas present knows that with a non stretchable material like paper (or wood veneer) when you go around a corner you have material left over that has to either be folded or notched. Vinyl, however, is easy to vacuum form around a corner.

Sorry to break the news :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
Um, do you have any evidence it's vinyl besides your theory, above? There is boo way it's vinyl. Could be plastic through and through, but vinyl? Seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seriously, look at the edges of the console drink holder lid. It will eliminate all doubt. I haven't taken it apart or scraped the material to confirm, but it's obvious.

I've no problem with vinyl, it has various forms and can be as hard as plastic. Vinyl colored wood is an extra cost on the QX. Our Pathfinder had a different color vinyl faux wood, equally as nice looking. The funny thing was, if you wanted the grey vinyl, (like the QX base), that was an extra cost.

I made a walnut insert for the dash of our MasterCraft ski boat. It's beautiful and I like real real wood. This QX stuff is OK, and zero maintenance. That works too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maple accent doesn't equal Real wood trim? So its safe to say Kasane Washi isn't wood either? Regardless if real or faux, I still prefer it over some other brand of simulated wood trim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maple accent doesn't equal Real wood trim? So its safe to say Kasane Washi isn't wood either? Regardless if real or faux, I still prefer it over some other brand of simulated wood trim.
Kasane Washi is Japanese paper used for origami :) Google it. Going back to my analogy to wrapping the corners on a present with paper that doesn't bend, the vinyl Kasane Washi print molds around the lid corner.

No worries with printed vinyl, it can be very tough, like poly vinyl chloride (PVC), they make 200psi pipe out of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just found this at Infiniti.com on the QX60 interior specifications. "The beauty of the center console maple interior trim draws inspiration from Fuki-Urushi, the timeless Japanese craft of patiently applying layers of lacquer across wood grain, preserving the natural tone with masterful brushstrokes." I was told when I purchased my QX60 that it was real wood.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found this at Infiniti.com on the QX60 interior specifications. "The beauty of the center console maple interior trim draws inspiration from Fuki-Urushi, the timeless Japanese craft of patiently applying layers of lacquer across wood grain, preserving the natural tone with masterful brushstrokes." I was told when I purchased my QX60 that it was real wood.
Hmmm, "draws inspiration from Fuki-Urushi, the timeless Japanese craft of patiently applying layers of lacquer across wood grain, preserving the natural tone.." Draws inspiration is a cleaver way of not say that they repeated the process with wood.

Given all the responses I am still unsure if there is real wood lurking below all that clear. Not a big deal either way other than it is interesting as to the multiple opinions and possibly misinformed salespeople on the matter.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine has real wood on the dash and center console, a thin veneer of maple under a thick coat of resin. Not sure about the inserts in the doors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts