Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My QX60 is almost two months old, about 2200 miles on it...does anyone else have an inordinate amount of rattles in their car? I have rattles coming from my upper dash, somewhere in between the front driver's side door and back driver's side door, somewhere near the driver's side second row seat and somewhere in the cargo area. They all come and go but the one from the cargo area is the most persistent. I haven't been able to identify the sources of any of them. I should add that I have two sources of unwanted noise in the cargo area - a rattle that seems to be coming from the middle to middle left and a creaking noise back from the right side. Some days, I just live with them, but other days, they can drive me up the wall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you try taking the vehicle to the dealer to have them diagnose?
For the cargo area - check the tool kit that's included under the little storage area where the subwoofer is. It's the under a black plastic cover which you just lift up - in my case the bag of tools for spare tire was not secure.
For the rattle in the second row, does it occur if someone is sitting there or only when the front seats are occupied?
I've found that the seatbelts in the second row depending on their position can move around on turns and bumps in road and they hit that rear pillar/column they hang from.
There's actually a little black plastic tab on each side in the second row to secure the seatbelt when not used.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try taking the vehicle to the dealer to have them diagnose?
For the cargo area - check the tool kit that's included under the little storage area where the subwoofer is. It's the under a black plastic cover which you just lift up - in my case the bag of tools for spare tire was not secure.
For the rattle in the second row, does it occur if someone is sitting there or only when the front seats are occupied?
I've found that the seatbelts in the second row depending on their position can move around on turns and bumps in road and they hit that rear pillar/column they hang from.
There's actually a little black plastic tab on each side in the second row to secure the seatbelt when not used.
Thanks for the suggestions...I tinkered with the area under the subwoofer before. Will try again. As for the second row rattle, don't think it's the seatbelt. More towards the center seat...

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I'd bring it back to the service department and have one of their technicians take a road trip with you to pin point the noises. There is a technical bulletin out for the dash rattle that has been used by some of the early owners. I had a B post rattle which was quickly identified by our local dealer and they fixed it. I've got 24,000 miles on my JX and have very few weird noises. The only time I hear the dash rattle is on real bumpy roads, so I just live with it since its not really noticeable. Let us know what you find out about your issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd bring it back to the service department and have one of their technicians take a road trip with you to pin point the noises. There is a technical bulletin out for the dash rattle that has been used by some of the early owners. I had a B post rattle which was quickly identified by our local dealer and they fixed it. I've got 24,000 miles on my JX and have very few weird noises. The only time I hear the dash rattle is on real bumpy roads, so I just live with it since its not really noticeable. Let us know what you find out about your issues.
Thanks. Reluctant to bring it in because the rattles come and go and we know that the car won't make a peep when I bring it in. I'll likely wait until it becomes more persistent...

·
Registered
210 Posts
for rattles you usually take things apart and try to figure out where the noise is coming from

but since you have a brand new car

I'd let the dealer try first before trying to do it yourself

·
Registered
295 Posts
for rattles you usually take things apart and try to figure out where the noise is coming from

but since you have a brand new car

I'd let the dealer try first before trying to do it yourself
Yup.
Taking things apart will be better to do much later in the life of this vehicle.
It has warranty and is a brand new vehicle, better let the dealer deal with it, it's their job.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Try finding a rough road near the dealership where you can replicate the rattles then have your dealer's service department send a technician with you on the same route so they can help isolate the noises. They have technical bullitens that adress the rattles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a loud rattle in the rear that made the car sound like it was falling apart when going over bumpy surfaces. It took me a while to find it, including riding in the cargo area while my wife drove. The noise was coming from the plastic trim on the upper left (passenger side) of the tail gate - you can only see it when the tail gate is fully open. There is a couple plastic tongues projecting beyond where the trim fastens to the tailgate, and those apparently rub causing a loud vibrating noise -- amazing how much noise can come from such a small piece of plastic. A inserted a piece of cardboard and it stopped. Took it to the dealer and they replaced my cardboard with some black fuzzy tape which took care of it for a few weeks, and then the sound returned. So, I replaced my cardboard. Will take back to the dealer to have them fix it again.
Now need to also fix the dash rattle (see next post)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been fighting a dash noise for several months on my JX. I pinpointed it to the area around the radio. The noise occurs when on bumpy road, but doesn't occur when it is cold outside (below 30F). I can get it to stop if I press up on the dash below the radio selection buttons on the left side -- but the noise returns as soon as I release pressure. Sometimes it will go away if I press on the right side of the radio, but also returns when I release pressure. I tried inserting cardboard but that doesn't help. I mentioned it the dealer, and they said they had another JX that had same issue and they worked with Infiniti Corporate to solve it. I will be taking mine in when I have a chance, and hopefully they can fix it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
annoying thing about rattles is that its a guessing game. you take things apart. add insulation or foam. put it back together.. and pray

if it doesnt work. do it all over again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
annoying thing about rattles is that its a guessing game. you take things apart. add insulation or foam. put it back together.. and pray

if it doesnt work. do it all over again.

I had a rattle around the radio on my new QX60. I only heard it on bumpy roads. I wasn't sure I wanted them taking things apart since I only had 3000 miles on it. However, I took it to the dealership, got a technician out to the car, didn't even have to do a test drive. I was able to push on the area around where the radio is, and could duplicate the rattle. The technician said he knew exactly what it was because he had several other QX's with the same issue. They were able to fix the problem after three attemps to add insulation, and test driving after each attempt to make sure it was taken care of. I'm a happy camper now. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
The camera cover on the front windshield was resonating on my QX60, only had 50 miles on it. I replicated it to my service advisor when I took it in to have splash guards installed, and an Infiniti engineer came out to inspect and fix it--I guess that's the one advantage to living where I do. He did, and I ended up bringing it in again so he could replace it with a new one, and take mine back for additional testing--was promised he wouldn't unfix it with the new cover. I was impressed, Infiniti takes rattle seriously in my experience.

In my experience, all cars have transcient squeaks and rattles due to thermal expansion. Especially on cold or hot days until the interior is warmed/cooled and the various interior compents reach equilibrium. I've owned several Honda's, Toyota's, and an Acura, a Buick, and now an Infiniti. My Qx60 is one of the more rattle free vehicles I've owned so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an intermittent problem with my QX60. The backup camera only, on several occasions has failed to work. It is either grayed out, darkened, or has a line on a gray screen like it is trying to work, much like a short. Of course when I took the car in, they couldn't replicate the problem. I was told they would open up a case, and if it happened again to bring it in immediately. The problem is, I live 45 minutes away from the dealership, and once the car is restarted it clears up the problem. Has anyone else has this problem?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have an intermittent problem with my QX60. The backup camera only, on several occasions has failed to work. It is either grayed out, darkened, or has a line on a gray screen like it is trying to work, much like a short. Of course when I took the car in, they couldn't replicate the problem. I was told they would open up a case, and if it happened again to bring it in immediately. The problem is, I live 45 minutes away from the dealership, and once the car is restarted it clears up the problem. Has anyone else has this problem?
Definitely a warranty issue. Does it malfunction when the vehicle has been baked in the Texas sun? It could be a heat related intermittent issue.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Here is a question of our Infiniti sales people.

How long after purchase/lease will a dealership fix rattles, squeaks and quality issues such as door trim seals, stainless bumper protector seals, etc.? Are these items covered under the standard warranty?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Afaik, they are covered under the standard warranty. That's 4 year 50,000 mile for those of us in the US, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
My backup camera issue is not related to outside temperatures. It started when the temps outside were still cold. I didn't have any problems with the backup cameras in my previous Infiniti's which did sit out in the Texas sun.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Should be covered under warranty. Problem is recreating the rattle. If you have a good service advisor and they go out of their way to identify and fix your problems like this, be sure to give them all 10's on the survey you get after servicing the car. It matters to them. And they'll remember you next time you have a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
B pillar driver's side noise

2014 QX60 here purchased in December of 2014. First, the info screen had a dead pixel line across the screen, went to the dealership and they replaced the whole speedometer cluster. Now it is in the shop again, a strange noise coming from a driver's side B pillar, right below the seat belt harness sounded like a stretching mattress spring, appeared. It does not go away and was driving me crazy since its right by my left ear.
Kind of disappointed with these minor issues that take away from a great car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts