Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have an intermittent problem which over the past 48 hours has basically become permanent.

I had had this problem once before, but it was only once last year and the issue resolved itself. Now, not so much.

Problem Description
- Entire Climate Control Panel is unresponsive, save the warning indicator, which works normally.
- Climate Control lights on the panel don't work either when this problem occurs, and sometimes the lights come back on -- but the panel still is unresponsive.
- Radio controls are completely unresponsive
- PDC doesn't work
- Backup camera and 360° camera don't work when put in reverse.

Attempted Solutions
- Do nothing. I tried ignoring the problem to see if it would "fix" itself, yesterday. It did after a few start/restarts and driving around town, just to not work after I parked the car for a while.
- Reset the car. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 10 minutes or so. When I reconnected the vehicle everything worked for 4-5 start/off cycles.

I am about to check fuses, but this seems unlikely as the navigation system functions via touch-screen function normally. I think this is a CAN communication problem or perhaps a defective control panel. I know these panels waterfall and if I knew which was first (I think radio controls come first in the waterfall) I'd just replace the panel (throwing $$$ at a problem sounds like fun).

However, the PDC and reverse camera not functioning when the panel goes down leads me to think there is a software screwup somewhere, a corroded connector somewhere, or a computer which is on the way out.

I've looked online and there were two people on justanswers.com with the same question. An Infiniti tech told one guy "take your car to the dealer" and another said "reset the car" which I did.

I am hoping someone here can shed some light on the problem, and if you work at a Infiniti dealer, maybe reach out to one of your techs to see how to resolve this.

I am in Germany with no dealer support so "take it to the dealer" isn't an option unless I want to drive to Moscow.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Info:

When the problem presents itself, the "Source" button on the steering wheel works but no sound comes out of the speakers as the volume control on the steering wheel doesn't do anything either. Eject button on the panel always works.

When I remote start the vehicle the problem seems to fix itself once again, I just need to check if it is still a problem tomorrow.

An Infiniti tech's on this would be great as I'd like the thing to be consistent.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I had a client with similarly intermittent problems. Turns out a rodent had gotten into her car and gnawed through part of the wiring harness. It was shorting out and causing all sorts of problems. Only solution was to replace the wiring harness (her insurance paid for this). Its a big, PITA job too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

So I'll chase back the ground for the instrument panel this weekend and report back. Unfortunately, this is an outside car and we know for a fact there German possums in the area. (called a Marder, which in Germany have a notorious reputation for doing only one thing)

I had one of these guys chew through my old Lexus IS' reverse signal wire from the transmission a couple years ago -- reverse camera, PDC and reverse lights all quit working at one time. Nice.

That being the case, do you know which wiring harness it was exactly and where the "chew through" happened?

With the unit NOT operating I was able to successfully test continuity to ground and all buttons on the panel are receiving +12v and have good continuity to ground with the car on. I really think the break-down is in the CAN communication between the navigation system and the switch, and based on the FSM I have I think I even know what wire it is. Sinecure, if I was to get your some more precise wiring information later this week, think one of your tech's could look over this to verify if my hunch is correct or not?

I hope to not have to replace the entire car's wiring harness and you have to essentially gut the interior again, and if it was an animal then it'd be an insurance claim (which I actually wouldn't mind as it would be a nice pay day) but the car would be out of commission for a while as I take apart basically everything from the back of the center console forward.

I am going to keep also testing the hypothesis about remote starting the vehicle vs normal starting it. If remote starting results in 100% functionality, whereas normal starting the vehicle results in only partial success -- then it would 100% be a CAN error and given the lack of dealer support in Germany, I'll start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So by means of an update -- I checked the car after work yesterday and everything is working normally again.

I'll be doing some driving around tomorrow (as I want to avoid all the Leninists and Marxists out "protesting") so I'll report back on how its doing.

I really think this is a software/firmware issue tied to voltage irregularity moreso than anything else. I've been in the process of purging power steering fluid over the course of the past few weeks which involves lots of bleeding power steering (car idling and the steering wheel being turned from lock to lock and its parked on dirt at the moment), which is a massive power drain by our electrically controlled and powered power steering pumps on the electrical system.

This problem popped up immediately after I did a lock to lock with the car still after swapping out 180 ml of power steering fluid or so.

On a side note, why Infiniti/Nissan elected to use these garbage Renault power steering pumps is completely beyond me. I wonder if I could swap a mechanical one onto the car from a 350z ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings,
Couple of hours ago my wife just informed me of the same issue going on in her 2016 qx60.
Car has about 47,000 miles still under infinity certified dealers warranty so hopefully its a free fix.
Will update after my visit to the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer just called me,and the problem is the telematic control unit.
They will replace it and program it.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is an infotainment bug when certain USB thumb drives are used that can cause the system to lock up. The symptoms are a little different in that, in my case at least, the touch screen stops working along with everything else.

The reset while driving is to reboot the infotainment unit which you can do by pressing the radio power button & holding it for 10-15 seconds. You'll see the restart on the screen. It beats having to pull over and stop/start the car.

For my '17 QX60 I replaced the USB 3 thumb drive with an older USB 2 drive and the problem hasn't happened since.

Honestly, that system alone will keep me from buying another Infiniti. Even if they replace it with something better the lack of decent dealer support and poor feature implementation has soured me on the brand.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, the telematic control unit. Thats interesting. Thanks for the input.

Since I posted this last week and "reset" the system the problem hasn't reappeared.

Once again for everyone -- what I did:

1) Pulled negative battery terminal -- let the car sit for 20 minutes;
2) Reconnected the negative battery terminal
3) Pulled the "Power Accessory" fuse (10 amp) under the hood (hidden fuse box under driver's' side fender behind plastic covering)
4) Checked the fuse;
5) Reconnected;
6) Did a remote start on the vehicle;
7) Jumped in the car and activated the remote start as normal.

Problem hasn't come back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm, the telematic control unit. Thats interesting. Thanks for the input.

Since I posted this last week and "reset" the system the problem hasn't reappeared.

Once again for everyone -- what I did:

1) Pulled negative battery terminal -- let the car sit for 20 minutes;
2) Reconnected the negative battery terminal
3) Pulled the "Power Accessory" fuse (10 amp) under the hood (hidden fuse box under driver's' side fender behind plastic covering)
4) Checked the fuse;
5) Reconnected;
6) Did a remote start on the vehicle;
7) Jumped in the car and activated the remote start as normal.

Problem hasn't come back.

Yes sir,unit has been replaced.
Everything working properly

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes sir,unit has been replaced.
Everything working properly

Marcu,

Could you please list the part numbers on your invoice that were replaced so we can build a database of this issue going forward?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, just so the stays here forever (incase your photo disappears) over the years:

Part Number: 283B0-3JA6C failed and was replaced.

Tech's comments:

Duplication All A/V Unit controls not working, check for error codes using Consult and found TCU was not showing up with Consult, checked CAN communication and found TCU not communicating which was causing codes for BCM, removed and replaced TCU, after repair all controls and functions are working properly.

Just by means of update -- mind vehicle is now back at 100% functionality after the hard reset and remote start cycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A minor concern...still drives me insane. After I start my 2014 with the 4.3 Showcase sound unit (PE669U1), my phone sets by means of Bluetooth fine and dandy. At the point when I drive out to my front entryway, acknowledge I overlooked something in the house, I get out, stroll back, come back to the vehicle and my telephone has lost matching with the vehicle. The proprietors manual says to hit the "talk" key, say "Mood killer" and the Bluetooth with turn off in the sound head. At that point I should state "Turn On" to restart Bluetooth and re-pair my cell to the sound head. Uh-uh. Doesn't work. At the point when I state "Mood killer" the vehicle says "Telephone directory". I experience no difficulty with some other voice order recorded in the manual. I wind up expecting to kill the way to and restart the vehicle to re-pair my phone (which has 0 issues re-matching while doing this). The sound unit is a Panasonic - do I have to state "Mood killer" and "Turn On" in Japanese or Chinese? The main Japanese I recollect is "Hai!" and the main Chinese I recall is Mandarin "Wa shu may

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like you put a Clarion after market head unit in your Infiniti //QX60? I've never heard of a 4.3 Showcase sound unit (PE669U1), but an internet search shows it's used in Subarus. Have you tried a software update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All,

I have an intermittent problem which over the past 48 hours has basically become permanent.

I had had this problem once before, but it was only once last year and the issue resolved itself. Now, not so much.

Problem Description
  • Entire Climate Control Panel is unresponsive, save the warning indicator, which works normally.
  • Climate Control lights on the panel don't work either when this problem occurs, and sometimes the lights come back on -- but the panel still is unresponsive.
  • Radio controls are completely unresponsive
  • PDC doesn't work
  • Backup camera and 360° camera don't work when put in reverse.

Attempted Solutions
  • Do nothing. I tried ignoring the problem to see if it would "fix" itself, yesterday. It did after a few start/restarts and driving around town, just to not work after I parked the car for a while.
  • Reset the car. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 10 minutes or so. When I reconnected the vehicle everything worked for 4-5 start/off cycles.

I am about to check fuses, but this seems unlikely as the navigation system functions via touch-screen function normally. I think this is a CAN communication problem or perhaps a defective control panel. I know these panels waterfall and if I knew which was first (I think radio controls come first in the waterfall) I'd just replace the panel (throwing $$$ at a problem sounds like fun).

However, the PDC and reverse camera not functioning when the panel goes down leads me to think there is a software screwup somewhere, a corroded connector somewhere, or a computer which is on the way out.

I've looked online and there were two people on justanswers.com with the same question. An Infiniti tech told one guy "take your car to the dealer" and another said "reset the car" which I did.

I am hoping someone here can shed some light on the problem, and if you work at a Infiniti dealer, maybe reach out to one of your techs to see how to resolve this.

I am in Germany with no dealer support so "take it to the dealer" isn't an option unless I want to drive to Moscow.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
There is an infotainment bug when certain USB thumb drives are used that can cause the system to lock up. The symptoms are a little different in that, in my case at least, the touch screen stops working along with everything else.

The reset while driving is to reboot the infotainment unit which you can do by pressing the radio power button & holding it for 10-15 seconds. You'll see the restart on the screen. It beats having to pull over and stop/start the car.

For my '17 QX60 I replaced the USB 3 thumb drive with an older USB 2 drive and the problem hasn't happened since.

Honestly, that system alone will keep me from buying another Infiniti. Even if they replace it with something better the lack of decent dealer support and poor feature implementation has soured me on the brand.
Hi. My car radio for my 2018 qx60 has no am, fm, clock, or steering wheel buttons working . How do I fix it ? The radio is new . I have 2 radios actually. I need help on how to program the radio

·
Registered
422 Posts
A 2018 should be covered under the bumper to bumper 4 year/60K mile new car warranty. Schedule an appointment with your Infiniti dealer, make them give you a loaner, and have them do a warranty repair!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts