Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

QX60 xenons not so bright?

30K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  mikedexion 
#1 ·
Anyone else think that the headlights on the QX60 aren't as bright as xenons in other cars? Our other car is a 2013 VW Touareg - headlights are noticeably brighter. My previous cars with xenons included the Infiniti G37x and Audi A4 - both brighter. I've driven an Audi Q7 and BMW X5 quite a bit too - also brighter. I don't believe it's a matter of the aim of the lights either. Also, I think the cut off for the QX60's headlights aren't as sharp as well.

#6 ·
stock output is 35watts. and it is a D2S bulb

Its the exact same D2S bulb as your G37x. Not sure why it would be darker

The projectors should be similar too. Either yours is defective or your bulbs are wearing out?

Give these bulbs a try. Best in the market
D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure why it's darker either, but it undoubtedly is. My guess is defective since my car is only a month old. Now I have a real noob question - are these bulbs easy to install?

#9 ·
Agree. First choice is to talk to your dealer and see if its normal. Go up beside another QX60 on the lot and compare when its darker.

The bulbs aren't terribly hard to replace but its not easy if you aren't one to fix things yourself. Especially D2S bulbs.

But those bulbs I posted are the best bulbs you can buy in the market from a OEM brand. They provide the bulbs for MANY OEM applications.

They are also a bit whiter than your stock bulbs while being brighter.

#17 ·
you hit on my pet peeve! your fogs are "literally" crap? heh. anyway, i'm glad that solution worked for you, but it does not work for me as i do not drive with my foglights on. i think it's rude to other drivers to do so and i had heard it's technically illegal in some jurisdictions.

#18 ·
I'm noticing more people drive with fog lights these days. I do use my lights frequently when driving in wet weather because it is difficult to see the fog and yellow lines on the highway. Unless they are re-painted each year, they tend to disappear during inclement weather. I was very pleased that the lane departure warning and intervention systems could actually pick up the lines on our cross country trip however.

#20 ·
What I appreciate most about the JX with the auto-braking feature is when driving in heavy fog even with the fog lights on, I have confidence if I'm getting too close to a vehicle in front of me that I can't see, it starts to let me know right away. During our long cross country trip, there were many times where I focused my eyes closer to the front of the vehicle since my fog lights lit the pavement lines enough where I could at least see them. Without the BCI, I would have had more difficulty since I would have had to look further down the road (like one does in normal driving). The road conditions were so bad that you could barely see the vehicles in front of you. I'm not so sure that brighter fog or head lights would have made much difference.

#21 ·
Illegal?? Hmm...I have never heard that. I know some DRIVING lights might be illegal..but never fogs....in any case, everyone uses them here in Texas at night. The only laws I know of is having MORE THAN FOUR lights on at the same time..so fogs should be ok. My Hella fogs I installed are a significant difference in light output. I would say they put out 70 % more light out front than the OEM. Now I do see better at night with them in.
airlaird

#23 ·
just in MA, here are some anecdotal stories of people being pulled over for fog light use in non-inclement weather:

got pulled over! ma laws on fogs, exhaust - Honda Civic Forum

Written warning for fog lights in MA?

I was pulled over in Massachusetts [Archive] - Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

searches with several other states (but not all) reveal the same type of results. like i said though, many people do it and the police here do nothing about it.

#28 ·
Guys, I sent the forum a link of my LED installs..with some pics of access to the headlight. The pics have not posted as they have gone to the moderator for review. Hopefully, he will allow the link to go through..
airlaird
UGGGHH...I realize now you have to sign in on the other forum to see the pics...yeah...I guess just Youtube it..............sorry...
airlaird

#30 ·
New headlights

For those that are interested, I replaced the stock bulbs with Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI bulbs last night. I immediately noticed that they were noticeably (but not shockingly) brighter. The roads were wet last night though so it was hard to get a good sense of what these bulbs would be like on a dry night.

On start up, the CBI bulbs have a purple-ish tint that settles into a nice bright white. The stock bulbs have a blue/white on start up and settles into a white with a hint of yellow.

Install was easy - first side took about 15 minutes and the other side took half that time.

#31 ·
For those that are interested, I replaced the stock bulbs with Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI bulbs last night. I immediately noticed that they were noticeably (but not shockingly) brighter. The roads were wet last night though so it was hard to get a good sense of what these bulbs would be like on a dry night.

On start up, the CBI bulbs have a purple-ish tint that settles into a nice bright white. The stock bulbs have a blue/white on start up and settles into a white with a hint of yellow.

Install was easy - first side took about 15 minutes and the other side took half that time.
I have CBI bulbs installed, I do not like them. I find they are too white and don't illuminate the road good enough.

Think I'm going to install SVS bulbs, and sell the CBI.

#34 ·
So, the camera makes it look like the lights are so much brighter than they actually are. They work decently on salt covered asphalt that is white, but overall I'm disappointed in them. I'm pretty sure that Infiniti used really poor projectors in this car, probably tried something different and didn't really test it too well. 34 months to go with subpar lights. Maybe the SVS bulbs will help a little.

#35 ·
I find the JX lights to be fine

I'd be interested to see if those SVS bulbs do much for you

I switched from the SVS to the 85122 in my previous car and I found it to be around the same level of light. Just a bit more white.

Didn't seem brighter at night or anything. I didn't like how yellow the SVS bulbs were.

The only things I found that really improve how much light is thrown out is clear lenses, and 55watt ballasts.

#36 ·
If I'm going to open it up, I'm changing the projector out, not just swapping lenses.

If I am able to snap a pic of my wife's car next to mine, you'll see a huge difference in light output. Granted, her car is a low beam only system, and that does make a big difference. (2008 Acura RDX)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.