Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I am thinking of buying a QX60, but I find the safety features confusing. To me it looks like you have to turn them on each time you get in to drive. Is that correct? I know my wife will forget to turn them on. Please provide information or a link. Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Safety features are turned on all the time.
That's not exactly true. Nor is the OP's impression exactly accurate.

I'm going to assume you're at least buying the car with Driver Assistance package - if not, this whole conversation is moot. If you have Deluxe Tech, then you have additional safety features of LDW, LDP, BSI, and Predictive Forward Collision Warning with Pedestrian Detection.

Some features are on all the time. In general, you can consider the warning systems, plus the last-ditch intervention systems to be on all the time - unless you turn them off. The more intrusive, or "intervention" type features need to be turned on - and turned on each time you start the car.

So if your car has Driver Assist and/or Tech package, these systems will be on all the time:

Blind Spot Warning
Forward Collision Warning and Forward Emergency Braking (moved to the Deluxe Tech pkg from DRI starting in 2017)

If you press the safety shield button, you turn on the more intervention-type features.
BS Intervention
Lane Departure Prevention
Distance Control Assist

If you turn off the car, you'll need to press that button again to turn those back on next time.

Why? Too long to explain here, but try them and I bet you'll see why. It is a computer, not a human. It behaves like a computer and that is a PITA sometimes. Most people don't like it when their car takes over for them. If you make them press a button for it to happen, at least they feel in control. There's probably some degree of government regulation that controls this stuff too.

The safety shield button is the one on the lower, right side in this picture:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. So when comparing it to a Q7, it is similar? Meaning, all of the non-intervening safety stuff is always there and all the intervening has to be turned on with the shield?

So it WILL stop before hitting the car in front of me without shield on?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question.

First off, I have no idea what equipment your car has (will have).

I don't sell Audi and really haven't spent enough time to learn all the features of the new Q7 (the old one had crap). I'm 90% sure it doesn't have Distance Control Assist. I think it just has lane control and adaptive cruise control. I have no idea how they work things and whether you need to turn something on/off each time.

And NO. Your car will not stop before hitting the car in front of you if you don't have safety shield features (notably Distance Control Assist) turned on. Forward Collision Warning and Forward Emergency Braking are a last-second attempt to minimize the impact of a collision by applying brakes at the last moment. They will NOT necessarily stop the car.

OK, I just went and tried to configure a Q7. If you want it with everything you get in a $52-53K QX60, you have to spend over $61K and to get it like a $57-$58K QX60, you're at least at $66K. You do get more HP for the extra $8-9K, but it weighs 400lbs more, so net is similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. I do know the Q7 costs more money, but with every tv commercial like Hyundai, Kia and honda showing a car stopping automatically before collision, I would have thought the qx60 would too. I do understand it will try, but no guarantees. The video says if a forward collision is eminent, full brake will be applied.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
In the newer cars (16+, I think), full brake will be applied. That does not mean the car will stop in time.

I think Infiniti does a so-so job of explaining all these systems. But to their credit, they're smart enough not to over-sell the features. My Q50 does most of what Tesla's auto-pilot feature does. It steers itself in its lane on the freeway, stops if the car in front of me stops, and maintains its speed. If Infiniti called it auto-drive however, there'd be a ton of idiots out there crashing their cars and blaming Infiniti. You can make stuff idiot proof, but they'll just build a better idiot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks again. I do know the Q7 costs more money, but with every tv commercial like Hyundai, Kia and honda showing a car stopping automatically before collision, I would have thought the qx60 would too. I do understand it will try, but no guarantees. The video says if a forward collision is eminent, full brake will be applied.
This was a feature it took time for me to get used to. When you press the button on the steering wheel to turn the safety features "ON" you will have the vehicle apply the brakes for you if you get too close to an object too quickly. IF you don't turn the system "ON" then you get the chime indicating an item closing in quickly in front of you but does not apply the brakes. Sincecure has a better explanation but that seems to be how it works on these vehicles. I'm in a 2013 JX through and I'm sure some improvements have been made.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The posts are accurate about the Driving Aids. I have the complete Package of all Safety Aids. BSW, FEB, RTCA, BCI, etc. I have had cars slowing to make turns, and I have felt the throttle Push Up and light brake application and the Dashboard offering Beep alerts. I have had cars my path, making a sweeping left turn, really not that close to me, but the same thing will happen, Beep alerts, gas pedal pushes up and the brakes may be lightly applied. A car stopped ahead of me, will induce the same, in fact, one time, the brakes were applied pretty firmly BEFORE i did. You can disengage all the features or some of the features ( leave LDP off most of the time - it can be annoying when slightly drifting hearing beeps and if no correction in steering is made, it will apply brkes on the drifting side of the car).

In our 2016 Honda CRV, {my wife's car}, one time, while driving up to a stopped car at a traffic light, and I was not travelling too fast, the Car hit the brakes so hard that the Anti-Lock brakes engaged. Scared the **** out of me. I was driving it that day. Evidently, the computer applied the brakes in a Forward Collision avoidance scenario that was too too sensitive. My foot was on the brake pedal, but I guess the system didn't "think" i was pushing the pedal hard enough.... This is all leading to Cars Driving Themselves.... that won't be fun at all. I agree with some features of accident avoidance, but Computers driving the car ..Not for Me...

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I originally wasn't too happy about pushing the button each time I started the car but have gotten in the habit of automatically hitting the button immediately after starting the car. I am so used to the safety systems and have to consciously pay more attention when driving my other vehicles. There are very few times when I do turn the system off. When I'm in heavy freeway traffic I turn the transmission selector to ECO to help me from stepping on the gas too hard, especially when changing lanes. Having the forward braking system on in this type traffic is a real plus. It never fails that when changing lanes the car in front of you hits their brakes as you turn your head. I've had a few abrupt stops when that happens. All in all, I believe all the systems in this vehicle have helped me prevent accidents on several occasions. I couldn't see buying any car without them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts