Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I found the trip computer in the car is 1.4 to 1.8 MPG higher than hand calculation, but with hand calculation, I am still getting 24+ MPG with 50% Chicago suburban commute driving. No complaint.
your methods of calculation seem legit. That is REALLY impressive mileage. I would be ecstatic to get that kind of mileage in a 3rd row SUV!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's a link to an older forum post that is still relevant. Real world QX60 gas mileage using Fuelly data -- will allow you see what is considered normal MPG range.
This was very telling. Thank you for this link. Your 'nerdy' research is actually very relevant, interesting, and enlightening.

·
Registered
160 Posts
made a trip to the in-laws two weekends ago for Memorial Day and had the QX60 in 'sport' mode. I would guess probably about 70% highway, 30% back/side roads for the tank I was measuring MPG (although even half of the highway was under construction and traffic was heavy, so not 'typical' highway conditions, I don't think). Anyway, by the time I arrived at the pump, I want to say the screen was reading like 22.1 MPG, somewhere close to that, which was near as high as I've ever seen it by the end of a tank. Did the calculation by hand to check on the accuracy of this, and hand calculation was 21.4. So the screen was inflated by .7 MPG. Not too far off, but not exactly correct, either.

I believe the PSI in my tires are usually 34-37PSI depending on temp and how long I've been driving on that trip. Quick google research indicates that fuel mileage can increase by about .2% (a VERY slight increase, really) per 1 PSI increase in tire pressure once considering the 'normal' range. so whether I have tires at 36 PSI or 40PSI, really wouldn't amount to much of a difference in MPG at all. I have the upgraded, larger wheels. Probably 20" I think. no tow package, though it does have every other option possible. On this trip we did use the A/C quite a bit, both front and back climate controls were on as we had all 4 kiddos packed in the back. So again, a vehicle this size with my whole family in it, I wasn't necessarily displeased with the mileage. Until I see some of these other posters' information LOL Glad Rooster brought me back to the 'real' numbers so I don't feel as bad about it LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
made a trip to the in-laws two weekends ago for Memorial Day and had the QX60 in 'sport' mode. I would guess probably about 70% highway, 30% back/side roads for the tank I was measuring MPG (although even half of the highway was under construction and traffic was heavy, so not 'typical' highway conditions, I don't think). Anyway, by the time I arrived at the pump, I want to say the screen was reading like 22.1 MPG, somewhere close to that, which was near as high as I've ever seen it by the end of a tank. Did the calculation by hand to check on the accuracy of this, and hand calculation was 21.4. So the screen was inflated by .7 MPG. Not too far off, but not exactly correct, either.

I believe the PSI in my tires are usually 34-37PSI depending on temp and how long I've been driving on that trip. Quick google research indicates that fuel mileage can increase by about .2% (a VERY slight increase, really) per 1 PSI increase in tire pressure once considering the 'normal' range. so whether I have tires at 36 PSI or 40PSI, really wouldn't amount to much of a difference in MPG at all. I have the upgraded, larger wheels. Probably 20" I think. no tow package, though it does have every other option possible. On this trip we did use the A/C quite a bit, both front and back climate controls were on as we had all 4 kiddos packed in the back. So again, a vehicle this size with my whole family in it, I wasn't necessarily displeased with the mileage. Until I see some of these other posters' information LOL Glad Rooster brought me back to the 'real' numbers so I don't feel as bad about it LOL
I bet if you were on ECO mode with ECO pedal on, your MPG will increase to 23 to 24... By the way, what grade of gas you were using? 87 regular?

·
Registered
46 Posts
To whoever is interested, i am happy to report my current 100% non highway commute mpg is 26+ mpg with 26 mph avg (a lot traffic lights). I know it is not a full tank yet, but i just want to share this to everyone. This car mpg is above my expectations.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just filled the gas. Here is the number: 368.3 non-highway commute miles (Chicago Suburb), on 87 regular, 15 gallons fill up. Dashboard shows 26.5 MPG, hand calculation is 24.5 MPG. Tire 35 PSI cold on 20" wheels.

I am impressed

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bet if you were on ECO mode with ECO pedal on, your MPG will increase to 23 to 24... By the way, what grade of gas you were using? 87 regular?
yes, using 87 regular octane fuel. I think when I am in ECO mode, ECO pedal is also on, as it feels really heavy and hard to depress even driving around casually, I don't think I've ever seen 23 mpg, let alone 24 and that was when consciously TRYING to drive in a way to optimize fuel mileage. That being said, I have not done hand calculations in full ECO mode conditions, so perhaps the real calculated numbers will be better than the on-screen ones and my mileage will actually be in the 23-24 range, though I doubt it. I will give it a try though and see and reply back on here sometime in the future with those numbers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every time I fill up my tank the range is between 360 miles to 430 miles. How can it be a that wide of a range from one tank fill up to another. Same costco has station and same gas type. Lucky to get above 20 mpg on my 2017 Qx60 AWD. I calculate mileage every time if fill up by mileage driven / gallons filled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
City is pretty poor for us but average about 21 in mixed. Just got 24.5 (computer said 25.5) on a 500 mile trip with 500 lbs of stuff in the car and basket on the hitch and going 75-80 on the highway so was pretty happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is a prove that OP's number is possible to accomplish. I fill it up yesterday, 363.3 miles driven, 20% Highway & 80% suburb commute, trip computer shows 27.9 MPG, filled 14.23 gallons, hand calculation shows 25.5 MPG

I use 87 gas only, and car is in 100% ECO mode with 35 cold PSI. My next tank will be in standard mode, I want to see if these number possible in standard mode...

Let me know if you have any question

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is a prove that OP's number is possible to accomplish. I fill it up yesterday, 363.3 miles driven, 20% Highway & 80% suburb commute, trip computer shows 27.9 MPG, filled 14.23 gallons, hand calculation shows 25.5 MPG

I use 87 gas only, and car is in 100% ECO mode with 35 cold PSI. My next tank will be in standard mode, I want to see if these number possible in standard mode...

Let me know if you have any question

let me know how it goes in standard mode. I am continuing my own similar experiment but in the reverse order. I had been somewhat thoughtfully tracking my mileage in sport and standard modes for various driving types, stop/go and highway. On my last fill up I finally remembered to both reset the numbers on the dash AND put the truck in ECO mode. I will look forward to tracking a couple tanks on ECO mode to see what it does to mileage. My findings between sport and standard were minimally different. As I expected, standard mode was, on average, just about .5 mpg better consistently. I am using 87 octane for all of these quasi-scientific studies (though different pumps from different stations as well as many other slight variables). After I finish several tanks of ECO driving w/ ECO pedal on, I might even go into settings and mess w/ the ECO pedal setting and see if that produces tangible differences or not.

I also have to believe that part of your mileage differences compared to mine in particular is attributable to the difference in model years from 2017 (yours) to 2015 (mine). Obviously nothing drastically different, but I have to believe that two additional years of engineering tweaks to the engine potentially could create 2-3 mpg gains. Plus somewhere in that gap there was a hp gain so clearly some engine tinkering has gone on between '15 and '17.

·
Registered
46 Posts
let me know how it goes in standard mode. I am continuing my own similar experiment but in the reverse order. I had been somewhat thoughtfully tracking my mileage in sport and standard modes for various driving types, stop/go and highway. On my last fill up I finally remembered to both reset the numbers on the dash AND put the truck in ECO mode. I will look forward to tracking a couple tanks on ECO mode to see what it does to mileage. My findings between sport and standard were minimally different. As I expected, standard mode was, on average, just about .5 mpg better consistently. I am using 87 octane for all of these quasi-scientific studies (though different pumps from different stations as well as many other slight variables). After I finish several tanks of ECO driving w/ ECO pedal on, I might even go into settings and mess w/ the ECO pedal setting and see if that produces tangible differences or not.

I also have to believe that part of your mileage differences compared to mine in particular is attributable to the difference in model years from 2017 (yours) to 2015 (mine). Obviously nothing drastically different, but I have to believe that two additional years of engineering tweaks to the engine potentially could create 2-3 mpg gains. Plus somewhere in that gap there was a hp gain so clearly some engine tinkering has gone on between '15 and '17.
2017 is the first year for the direct injection, other than that, I don't know any other difference

·
Registered
46 Posts
okay, quick update. 2017 QX60 AWD, Just filled up yesterday, regular 87 gas, 8 oz of marvel oil, 100% local driving (no highway), standard mode only, hand calculated, 35 PSI cold, 25.1 MPG over 389 miles, and trip computer showed 26.3 MPG.

This MPG is unbelievable for a heavy 3 rows SUV like QX60, this also means that standard mode doesn't use any more gas than ECO mode with the same driving condition. So, no more ECO mode for me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
okay, quick update. 2017 QX60 AWD, Just filled up yesterday, regular 87 gas, 8 oz of marvel oil, 100% local driving (no highway), standard mode only, hand calculated, 35 PSI cold, 25.1 MPG over 389 miles, and trip computer showed 26.3 MPG.

This MPG is unbelievable for a heavy 3 rows SUV like QX60, this also means that standard mode doesn't use any more gas than ECO mode with the same driving condition. So, no more ECO mode for me.
I agree, the MPG display is only an estimate based on a number of factors. I don't think it's possible for the vehicle to get as accurate as you've stated unless they add better/more sensors.

BTW, what's the marvel oil for?

This guy says don't do it, then again not sure if he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, the MPG display is only an estimate based on a number of factors. I don't think it's possible for the vehicle to get as accurate as you've stated unless they add better/more sensors.

BTW, what's the marvel oil for?

This guy says don't do it, then again not sure if he knows what he's talking about.
He is the ONLY video that tell people don't do it based on my research. I put marvel gas to clean the injector and boost gas mileage. I also put it in the oil. I used marvel oil in my 2008 Honda with 120k miles so far, and it does wonders.

And yes, trip computer for me is always higher than actual MPG, still 25.1 actual MPG is awesome for 100% non-highway driving

·
Registered
160 Posts
My last two tanks on my '15 with ECO mode on and with 87 octane fuel were 21.4 and 21.8 mpg, both with primarily stop and go driving, maybe 30% highway, at best. Just barely better mileage than standard mode, but not sure if the .5ish mpg is worth the annoyance of having a heavy pedal (yes, I know I can adjust that setting). So clearly the mechanical upgrades from '15 to '17 are pretty significant in terms of fuel savings. I would LOVE to get 25ish mpg in a vehicle of this size. Even so, I am not losing sleep over getting "only" 21.5ish mpg. Still not hateful on an SUV of this stature

·
Registered
18 Posts
My last two tanks on my '15 with ECO mode on and with 87 octane fuel were 21.4 and 21.8 mpg, both with primarily stop and go driving, maybe 30% highway, at best. Just barely better mileage than standard mode, but not sure if the .5ish mpg is worth the annoyance of having a heavy pedal (yes, I know I can adjust that setting). So clearly the mechanical upgrades from '15 to '17 are pretty significant in terms of fuel savings. I would LOVE to get 25ish mpg in a vehicle of this size. Even so, I am not losing sleep over getting "only" 21.5ish mpg. Still not hateful on an SUV of this stature
what are the EPA Fuel Economy ratings 2015 versus 2017?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, read through this post as our 2016 FWD (20in wheels) is absurdly low. 42k total miles on it. I’ve been tracking it by Fuelly which uses the accurate method. We’ve only been averaging 14-15mpg in about 95% city driving, always premium 92 grade. It should be more to the 19mpg as rated. Accounting for any alignment or tire factors only would affect by 1mpg (2mpg in extremes). So we should still be much higher.

What would you all recommend I start looking into replacing? New fuel pump & filter?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
I'm consistently getting 22.3-24.0 mpg on long trips. Our last long trip we hit very strong head winds and still got 22.0 mpg with a fairly full car.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts