Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the QX60 Hybrid will have a rather exotic setup (when it comes to hybrids) with an electric motor sandwiched between the supercharged 4cyl and the CVT transmission.

Does anyone know what exactly the Hybrid parameters are. Like for instance how fast/how long can be driven on electric power only. Or is it the type of setup where the electric motor provides continual support to the 4cyl? This scenario seems more likely considering the QX60 hybrid will also have a regenerative braking setup.

Anyone who can clarify please chime in as im really on the fence between the Hybrid and gas power. The only thing I'm weary of is towing. We tow our ski boat from the city to the cottage once at the start of season and once at the end, trailered it comes in around 3,500 pounds give or take. Is the Hybrid capable enough or should I be exploring other options (pathfinder for example)

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

·
Banned
3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
The one thing from that press release that I would point out is that it says
no reduction in inspired style, performance, or roominess
This makes me think that if the gas powered QX60 can handle the towing, the Hybrid QX60 should also be able to handle it. You should obviously double check, but it would be counter to what the press package says if it had less performance capabilities.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one thing from that press release that I would point out is that it says

This makes me think that if the gas powered QX60 can handle the towing, the Hybrid QX60 should also be able to handle it. You should obviously double check, but it would be counter to what the press package says if it had less performance capabilities.
well the 2013 gasser QX60 will do 3,500 lbs, so no shot the Hybrid out tows it there, but the QX60 did just get the transmission from the Pathfinder, its the same CVT just chain driven instead of belt driven.

This is supposed to make it heavier duty and capable of towing up to 5,000lbs. Just dont know if i trust it after all the problems PF owners have been having.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well the 2013 gasser QX60 will do 3,500 lbs, so no shot the Hybrid out tows it there, but the QX60 did just get the transmission from the Pathfinder, its the same CVT just chain driven instead of belt driven.

This is supposed to make it heavier duty and capable of towing up to 5,000lbs. Just dont know if i trust it after all the problems PF owners have been having.
So are you saying that the QX60 will be able to tow up to 5,000lbs or are you saying that it won't even match up with the gas powered QX60 that can tow 3,500lbs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really think you should be towing with the hybrid JX QX60.

Unless you WANT to destroy your powertrain..
Thats not necessarily true, if you keep what you're towing under your QX60s tow rating and GVWR then there is no destruction of the power train. Hybrids with electric motors should theoretically tow even better than a gasser becasue of the gobs of torque the electric motors produce.

I'm also not sure if the QX60 has received a bump in payload capability with the new CVT

·
Registered
89 Posts
INfiniti seems pretty adamant that you don't lose any performance if you buy the Hybrid QX60 rather than the gas powered QX60. I would say that performance includes towing capacity. Does anyone have an actual reason why the towing capacity would be less for the Hybrid, or are you all just guessing?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
INfiniti seems pretty adamant that you don't lose any performance if you buy the Hybrid QX60 rather than the gas powered QX60. I would say that performance includes towing capacity. Does anyone have an actual reason why the towing capacity would be less for the Hybrid, or are you all just guessing?
because most hybrids wither use the electric motor OR the combustion engine. the QX60 may have enough power from both engines aggregated but most hybrids dont work on aggregates.

becasue of their mutually exclusive operation and the downsized nature of both combustion and electric motors towing would be greatly impacted. Especially if its a 4cyl + electric motors. Good luck towing with a 4 pot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
having lots of torque is only one part of being able to tow.

The engine and drivetrain and chassis have to be built to handle the stress as well without inducing premature wear and tear.

·
Registered
323 Posts
having lots of torque is only one part of being able to tow.

The engine and drivetrain and chassis have to be built to handle the stress as well without inducing premature wear and tear.
Yup, torque helps a lot but pair that with a poor transmission that won't help deliver that torque when needed and you'll have poor towing.
We'll have to wait for the QX60 hybrid reviews to see how well it can tow and how much it can tow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, torque helps a lot but pair that with a poor transmission that won't help deliver that torque when needed and you'll have poor towing.
We'll have to wait for the QX60 hybrid reviews to see how well it can tow and how much it can tow.
obviously, thats a given considering QX60 is a pathfinder. You could tow with a ferrari if you had the balls to attach a hitch to it. Torque isnt the only thing needed to tow, sure, but its the most important. Transmission and gearing is a big part of torque being developed in the first place. Its all about leverage. Torque drives the leverage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
you also need parts that are built tough enough to handle the towing. Can't say CVTs are built for towing.

Id like to see how a CVT transmssion holds up to a life of towing and towing only.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I've been trying to track down tow capacity specs for the hybrid and haven't been able to - yet. Tow capacity for the QX60 is 5000lbs. Tow capacity for the JX35 was 3500lbs. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 3500lb tow limit stated for the hybrid QX60, given the smaller gas engine and slightly lower overall hp.

That said, if you're only towing a 3500lb boat, and doing it just twice per year, I can't imagine you're going to have problems. First off, the aerodynamic profile of a boat is much better than, say, a box trailer. Pointy nose and raked windshield, plus a profile that probably doesn't stick up higher than the QX60, all contribute to making towing easier. As long as you have an AWD version, you should have plenty of traction and torque to get it in and out of the water on a wet ramp. Just don't try to tow at crazy speeds and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been trying to track down tow capacity specs for the hybrid and haven't been able to - yet. Tow capacity for the QX60 is 5000lbs. Tow capacity for the JX35 was 3500lbs. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 3500lb tow limit stated for the hybrid QX60, given the smaller gas engine and slightly lower overall hp.

That said, if you're only towing a 3500lb boat, and doing it just twice per year, I can't imagine you're going to have problems. First off, the aerodynamic profile of a boat is much better than, say, a box trailer. Pointy nose and raked windshield, plus a profile that probably doesn't stick up higher than the QX60, all contribute to making towing easier. As long as you have an AWD version, you should have plenty of traction and torque to get it in and out of the water on a wet ramp. Just don't try to tow at crazy speeds and you'll be fine.
Its slowing down thats the problem, the brakes cant handle all that weight. But see the problem lays that boat and trailer are almost exactly 3,500lbs, but when we tow the Qx60 would be filled with all 5 of us, luggage and some gear loaded up in the boat, that pushes total way past the QX60s GVWR. I'm not about to play on the edge with my family in the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its slowing down thats the problem, the brakes cant handle all that weight. But see the problem lays that boat and trailer are almost exactly 3,500lbs, but when we tow the Qx60 would be filled with all 5 of us, luggage and some gear loaded up in the boat, that pushes total way past the QX60s GVWR. I'm not about to play on the edge with my family in the car.
Yeah going that far with the weight with that many people is risky, especially going on a long distance trip, it just spells trouble.

But I also see SUV's with boats going slower on highways, so going slower to compensate for less than idea brakes is something to consider

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are there other examples of hybrid versions of vehicles that have a lesser or equal towing capacity? It could give you an idea of the capacity decrease to expect, or if you should expect a decrease at all. I know Infiniti really wants to not sacrifice any performance in the hybrid version, so that should give you some hope.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah going that far with the weight with that many people is risky, especially going on a long distance trip, it just spells trouble.

But I also see SUV's with boats going slower on highways, so going slower to compensate for less than idea brakes is something to consider
Thats not why they are going slower, its to save gas. Are you guys seriously suggesting i take QX60 beyond its calculated limits? Thats asinine. Have you guys seen what happens when a vehicle goes beyond its limits? unpredictability and inevitable crash.

I would like the Hybrid, but if it cant do what i need I wont get it. Im not going to try and fit a square peg into a round hole because it might be close...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts