Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you look at the information screen between the Tachometer and Speedometer, and you see the acronyms (DCA, LDP and BSI) displayed, then it means HAL is in control. Turn them off. See if that helps. I turned them on yesterday while in traffic (Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA), and the vehicle began to break on it's own to maintain a "safe" following distance. It would also hesitate when turning at an intersection, in traffic. In short, it was keeping me from rear ending someone by not allowing me to get too close, but it won't keep someone from rear ending me!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, I've got that stuff off, still does it. Also, still does it whether in eco, pwr or normal modes. No big deal once you adjust yourself to compensate for it, but it shouldn't happen on a vehicle this pricey and since hybrid tech isn't new and other hybrids don't do this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's not anything amiss, it's the design. Even if yours does it only in ECO, it shouldn't do it, no hybrid QX60's should do this IF engineered properly. Is it bad and will it break something, no of course not. It's just poor design/engineering/implementation of hybrid into the Pathfinder/QX60.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When the engine is off and you are either slowing to a rolling stop or fully stopped and then accelerate to go it happens. Basically if you have the heat or a/c on it will not happen because in this mild hybrid the engine hardly shuts off with heat or a/c usage.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ok, I understand. That is interesting, I've noticed on my XQ60, when my engine shuts off at a light, it always restarts the second I take my foot off the brake. I've never been able to move from a dead stop in EV only mode--it is always assisted by the engine--even when I have the climate system off. I wonder if the dealer installed a updated software patch on mine to correct the hesitation that you are experiencing?!? My QX60 was built in Oct 2013.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That said, I have experience the hesitation you described when coasting with the engine off, and I press the accelerator pedal. There is a hesitation until the engine starts. If yours does that at intersections, then I certainly understand youth frustration with the control s/w.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine was built in January 14' bought February 14'. Mine starts the engine if stopped and engine is off and I release brake. I think this has to do with timing, like engine off braking to a stop sign but then giving gas right as the car is about to stop or right after stopping/shutting down. So it sounds like we are talking the same experience just in different situations. I'm in nyc so I am sure 'our' driving style may come into play somewhat, lol.

Still, I'll learn to change my driving style a bit to compensate I guess. Except for this, I do like the vehicle and how well it suits me and my families needs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine was built in January 14' bought February 14'. Mine starts the engine if stopped and engine is off and I release brake. I think this has to do with timing, like engine off braking to a stop sign but then giving gas right as the car is about to stop or right after stopping/shutting down. So it sounds like we are talking the same experience just in different situations. I'm in nyc so I am sure 'our' driving style may come into play somewhat, lol.

Still, I'll learn to change my driving style a bit to compensate I guess. Except for this, I do like the vehicle and how well it suits me and my families needs.
Yes...NYC driving is in a league of it's own. Traffic in RPV and the Beach Cities (Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa) here in LA is very "laid back" by comparison...I'll give you that!

·
Registered
467 Posts
My wife complained about the same. In our case the hesitation you describe was from the start/stop technology. Engine basically shut down at red lights and stop signs and even when coasting at times.
Start/stop tend to invoke less when setting the CVT to Sport. Haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy so now Sport is default...
Yep, I've experienced this a few times myself now. I can confirm the hesitation happened when the engine was off (while coasting) and I pressed the accelerator. It also happened at a stop sign when I quickly released the brake and hit the gas with the engine off. I believe the problem is the 20 HP electric motor on a vehicle this size, it doesn't have enough power to accelerate the vehicle on its own--it has to be assisted by the engine, which takes a second or two to start and clutch through the CVT. I see only one "easy" way for Infinity to prevent it, eliminate the start stop function on one of the drive modes (like sport mode) with a s/w patch. Paradox, that could then be your default NYC drive mode.

Ultimately, they need to use a stronger electric motor (60 - 80 hp) to help accelerate the vehicle from a stop until the engine starts and connects to the drive wheels via the CVT. Obviously, this is not an option for the current model -- would require a significant redesign.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's what I've been hoping they do some years for now... When the next generation QX60 comes up (not a refresh on the current gen, but rather a whole new gen) they improve the hybrid version.

Quite honestly, if they upgrade the electric motor and provide a larger kWh Li-Ion battery and make the a/c compressor and water pump electric instead of belt driven, they will have a KILLER hybrid in their lineup, heck it'd be killer for a vehicle this size from many manufacturers. When driven with no heat or a/c I get amazingly good mpg, on a trip down the Atlantic City the other day when the temps finally went up a little I did 30.2 mpg. Yes, mostly highway but that's still great. Around the city, again no heat or a/c, I can do 23-25 which is good for something this size/weight.

Make those changes down the road Ininiti, and this hesitation problem and mg issue people complain about in the hybrid would be solved, plus your sales would probably be bolstered once good word gets out.

Reactions: Sinecure

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's what I've been hoping they do some years for now... When the next generation QX60 comes up (not a refresh on the current gen, but rather a whole new gen) they improve the hybrid version.

Quite honestly, if they upgrade the electric motor and provide a larger kWh Li-Ion battery and make the a/c compressor and water pump electric instead of belt driven, they will have a KILLER hybrid in their lineup, heck it'd be killer for a vehicle this size from many manufacturers. When driven with no heat or a/c I get amazingly good mpg, on a trip down the Atlantic City the other day when the temps finally went up a little I did 30.2 mpg. Yes, mostly highway but that's still great. Around the city, again no heat or a/c, I can do 23-25 which is good for something this size/weight.

Make those changes down the road Ininiti, and this hesitation problem and mg issue people complain about in the hybrid would be solved, plus your sales would probably be bolstered once good word gets out.
Agree completely...I'll also need a good reason to get a new one in a couple of years!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same here, I generally keep my vehicles 3-4 years so with luck, they'll be releasing or getting ready to release the Gen II by the time I'm ready for a trade.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Same here, I generally keep my vehicles 3-4 years so with luck, they'll be releasing or getting ready to release the Gen II by the time I'm ready for a trade.
Thats a good time frame to keep a vehicle, after that there's a boat load of things to do which does cost a lot, a lot of high dollar maintenance

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly why I tend to go 3 -4 years. Other then oil changes and tire rotations, I've never had to take a car in for real maintenance since I get rid of them before needing anything done. I've never had something this big though, so I do hope to get up to 4 years out of it w/o needing a brake job but I just don't know about that one... Still, pads shouldn't be too much I hope since they certainly should be able to recut the rotors at least once.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So what do you think the odds are they drop the Q50 hybrid power train into the QX60 before this model is redesigned? Honestly, seeing the specs on that power train, i'm a little surprised they didn't do it from the get go ?!? Seems like it would be a good fit for this application.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Q50 at all to be honest. If it has a V6, I dunno, I'm ok with the supercharged 4 power-wise I just feel their hybrid is too weak of a hybrid, bordering joke honestly. Now I say that as coming from someone who has owned 3 hybrids and an EREV, but making this a 'better' hybrid would have been easy enough and the knowledge on what needs to be done is out there already.

Though I do have to wonder if having a V6 in a Hybrid QX60 whose hybrid is 'done right' would keep the rpm's low enough to really help mpg in the grand scheme of things. One other thing to consider is this 4 is an Atkinson cycle which helps, so I wonder if they make a V6 with Atkinson cycle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It has a V6 mated to a 50KW electric motor. Power delivered thru a 7 speed automatic. 360 HP total, the Q50 AWD is rated at 29 mpg city/35 mpg hwy. If this power train was used in the QX60 I would think it would approach the 26/28 mpg rating on ours.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm, that sounds like a promising powertrain for a future QX60 BUT Infiniti/Nissan still needs to implement a more powerful hybrid system like I mentioned so that it gets high MPG number not only when running with no a/c and heat but while ALSO running a/c and heat.

It's by us, the owners, pushing for change and expressing a bit of disappointment with mpg numbers in the hybrid being poor while a/c and heat is in use that they will improve the 2nd generation and make a better hybrid QX60. And since the thread is about hesitation during acceleration, lol, hopefully they fix that as well by a more robust hybrid drive train/larger battery pack. I think the larger battery pack and bigger electric motor would cure the hesitation issue.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts