Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this especially when stopped and then trying to drive through an intersection? I have it at the dealer now and they appear to have no clue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the gas motor is off, it will lag some switching into gas mode. The Q50 Hybrid will do this as well sometimes. It really is hard to tell what it is without having it here and driving it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have had this happen on several occasions now, I have owned my qx60 hybrid AWD for about 2 weeks now.

First I want to say I have owned 3 Prius and a chevy volt and none of them have done this. This is quite bad IMO and something Infiniti seriously needs to address.

I have had hesitation in accelerating quite a few times, it happens when slowing at a stop sign, four way stop etc. I have had it from a full stop and rolling stop as well. You will give the vehicle gas to accelerate and the vehicle just moves forward at a crawl, as if you have your foot off the brake but aren't giving throttle, yet you are. After several seconds, yes 3-4 seconds, then acceleration kicks in. This is very dangerous, I have had it 3 times now where at a four way stop the other person thought I was merely creeping and they began to go and then my car decided to finally move.

I seriously hope this can be fixed through a computer reprogram of some sort. For a $61k infiniti I honestly expected them to design this a bit better for being a hybrid. Would it have killed them to put an electric compressor for the a/c instead of one ran off a belt from the engine? Same thing for the water pump, they could have gone electric.

I'm not saying I don't like the vehicle, I do, but they seriously should have developed a bit better hybrid system learning from Toyota. And this hesitation issue is unacceptable. They can definitely replicate this since it is happening to other people as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You hit it right on the nail. Exactly what I'm experiencing. Of course the dealer couldn't do anything with out any codes or experiencing it themselves.

I have had this happen on several occasions now, I have owned my qx60 hybrid AWD for about 2 weeks now.

First I want to say I have owned 3 Prius and a chevy volt and none of them have done this. This is quite bad IMO and something Infiniti seriously needs to address.

I have had hesitation in accelerating quite a few times, it happens when slowing at a stop sign, four way stop etc. I have had it from a full stop and rolling stop as well. You will give the vehicle gas to accelerate and the vehicle just moves forward at a crawl, as if you have your foot off the brake but aren't giving throttle, yet you are. After several seconds, yes 3-4 seconds, then acceleration kicks in. This is very dangerous, I have had it 3 times now where at a four way stop the other person thought I was merely creeping and they began to go and then my car decided to finally move.

I seriously hope this can be fixed through a computer reprogram of some sort. For a $61k infiniti I honestly expected them to design this a bit better for being a hybrid. Would it have killed them to put an electric compressor for the a/c instead of one ran off a belt from the engine? Same thing for the water pump, they could have gone electric.

I'm not saying I don't like the vehicle, I do, but they seriously should have developed a bit better hybrid system learning from Toyota. And this hesitation issue is unacceptable. They can definitely replicate this since it is happening to other people as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You hit it right on the nail. Exactly what I'm experiencing. Of course the dealer couldn't do anything with out any codes or experiencing it themselves.
That is true, the process to get up to replicating the issue to fully understand it is all a job on it's own. It sucks having to deal with this on both sides as a consumer and service tech but it takes time and got to be done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It should be don't by infiniti themselves and find a solution. I firmly stand by this is something all qx60 hybrids do which means infiniti does not necessarily need each person to goto their dealership and have a tech drive our cars. The company should address this concern and then issue a tsb resolving the issue. Now that reports of this are out there, let them (nissan/infiniti) troubleshoot and resolve this issue and then pass it on to customers via said tsb since without doing that, there is NOTHING any dealership can do for this even if they say yup, we had it happen to us.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Would that be something that can be fixed via software or is it the nature of the CVT they use? If it's the later, I would hope they come up with a mechanical fix then to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe the member on these forums who works at a dealership can make Infiniti aware of this issue people are experiencing and file something so corporate can further look into this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife complained about the same. In our case the hesitation you describe was from the start/stop technology. Engine basically shut down at red lights and stop signs and even when coasting at times.
Start/stop tend to invoke less when setting the CVT to Sport. Haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy so now Sport is default...

·
Registered
313 Posts
As mentioned I've owned many start stop vehicles, 3 Prius spanning 2 different generations as well a Chevy Volt and none did what this vehicle does. There should be no lag when you give it gas and the engine needs to start up, at least those other vehicles do not act like this. To the extreme this vehicle takes to accelerate at times when giving gas (3-4 seconds) it is quite unsafe when it does it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree. There is room for improvement. However I doubt we will ever get the QX60 hybrid to behave as nicely as a Prius when the engine is shut off while moving. One is a mild hybrid with a fairly small electric engine in quite a heavy vehicle only meant to support a little while Prius is a full hybrid and can run electric only and still provide decent acceleration.

Having said that I have driven Mercedes diesels (European models) several times with start/stop technology and they do a better job than our Infiniti. For starters they do not invoke start-stop when the car is moving. It is only used when the car is at a complete stop and restart is very quick. Basically as soon as you let the foot off the brake the engine start up again and you hardly notice any delay. I guess a software update like that would be possible to do on the QX60.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You'll get a quicker response going direct or through your dealership than if I tried to log some generic complaint about a car where I don't have VIN numbers, nor any on-site records. If/when I hear from my clients, then I'll be sure to make sure my Service Director knows about other forum members' issues.

But thanks for thinking of me ;-).

·
Registered
295 Posts
You'll get a quicker response going direct or through your dealership than if I tried to log some generic complaint about a car where I don't have VIN numbers, nor any on-site records. If/when I hear from my clients, then I'll be sure to make sure my Service Director knows about other forum members' issues.

But thanks for thinking of me ;-).
That is true, i noticed this in past experience with other cars, it's always best going into the dealer at first.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, that's doesn't fix it, tried it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anyone experience this especially when stopped and then trying to drive through an intersection? I have it at the dealer now and they appear to have no clue.
Hi, I've owned my QX60 hybrid since 23 Feb, it was built in 10/13. I experienced that once in ECO mode when I first got it. The engine had shut off at an intersection that was on a sight incline -- I wasn't use to driving it in ECO mode with the ECO pedal set to normal. In that mode, acceleration on my QX60 is gradual to maximize fuel economy. When you try to accelerate quicker than "gradual", the ECO pedal will push back. At at stop, it feels like the 20 HP electric motor starts the vehicle in motion, then the gas engine gradually steps in to help out.

Now that I am use to ECO mode, I don't have any problems. When the engine is off and I take my foot off the gas, the car will creep forward and the engine will turn on. I've learned that the ECO pedal will push back, unless I quickly depress it. I only do that when I need to.

When I drive it in Normal Mode or Sport Mode with the ECO pedal off, it will accelerate briskly like any normal vehicle. I have not noticed any hesitation in those modes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Forgot to mention the most important point. Turn off the technology driving safety features in traffic (collision avoidance, etc.). They will override the gas pedal, especially at at traffic light in traffic. The result is massive hesitation if
HAL thinks you are to close to the vehicle in front of you. It will literally apply the brake. You can turn on/off those features by pressing the button on the lower left of the steering wheel. Could that be what you are experiencing?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts