Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my wife and I are looking at getting a 2018 qx60 but found a link last night about CVT's may not be the most reliable and consumer reports does not give the QX60 high marks in reliability. As I keep my cars for a long time I want to make sure that I get one that is going to last through normal everyday driving. My concerns have me looking at Lexus even though I really like the QX60. Thanks in Advance.

·
Super Moderator
539 Posts
The only year there were any real issues with the CVT was 2013 when the car was first released. The 15+ models have been great. I have six friends driving QX60's and I love selling the car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Consumer reports doesn't like the Infiniti infotainment system. They think it's too complicated, and reduced the overall "reliability" of the vehicle as a result. The JX35 had an old-gen tranny that worked well. The 1st year QX60 had a new-gen tranny that had problems (search this forum), but those problems have since been worked out.

If you like the vehicle, then get it. Mine has 100K, and I'm still enjoying it. I picked Infiniti over the German brands (quality concerns), didn't like the Acura offering, and Lexus didn't have anything that didn't look strange.

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
I had one of the first JX35s and the transmission was excellent. I traded it in at 56K trouble free miles. I have the 2016 QX60 and at 22K miles, it is excellent. Love the smooth ride and the car has plenty of power. The 2017 and 2018 have more horse power than the previous versions. I haven't heard any complaints from our forum members on the newer years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After 2 years I have had no issues with my 2015. Just oil and a cabin filter.

The CVT just glides along in city driving with no gear changing effect. When you hit the freeway on ramp and punch it the engine revs and the software simulates the gear changing jerks of an automatic. The CVT is different but kind of cool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no issues with 2015 QX60 even towing a heavy boat about 4000lb it handles well for this vehicle size.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 QX60 AWD with 42K miles, recently the temps in NYC dipped below 30 Degrees and when I start the car wait 5mins and drive out the CVT makes alot of grinding noise and when I let off the gas it shudders and when i give it gas the torque converter kicks/jerks. It also shudders when I make turns. Also the infotainment touch screen freezes often, have to turn car off and on again to get it working again. The shocks went bad at 30K but it’s NYC roads, so that’s to be expected. Taking the car into dealer tomorrow about the transmission issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 2014 QX60, approx 100k miles. It's in the shop right now for it's 3rd transmission. Transmission #2 lasted 22k miles. Not even a full year, yet still is not covered by their standard warranty because apparently while Ford offers 3 years/unlimited mileage on replacement transmissions, Infiniti gives you the lesser of 12 months or 12,000 miles. They seem to have no faith in their own parts. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just recently bought a 2018 AWD base. Really like the smoothness of the CVT and overall ride. So far no issues. CVT is used in lot of cars. It seems mostly those designed for fuel economy.

In 2017, the engine HP was boosted 30 HP (from 265 to 295) by adding direct fuel injection. There was no reduction in fuel mileage. We get 24 ~ 25 MPG in 70/30 (city/Hwy) driving. Some articles I've read indicate that intake valves on direct injection systems tend to collect carbon, as they are not washed by fuel as they would be in a port injection engine. I'm not sure if Infiniti has done anything to help mitigate this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a 2014 QX60, approx 100k miles. It's in the shop right now for it's 3rd transmission. Transmission #2 lasted 22k miles. Not even a full year, yet still is not covered by their standard warranty because apparently while Ford offers 3 years/unlimited mileage on replacement transmissions, Infiniti gives you the lesser of 12 months or 12,000 miles. They seem to have no faith in their own parts. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/InfinitiQX60_org/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/img]
Well, if it's "not even a full year" then you are covered by the Infiniti replacement warranty. Other than that, Infiniti does in fact stand behind these transmissions as they extended the warranty to upwards of 120,000 miles for certain models. That's 50,000 miles more than the standard warranty. Mine had a software update for the CVT and never gave me an issue. My VIN shows the CVT extension on my paperwork.

https://www.infinitiassist.com/campaigns/2013-2014-jx-qx60-cvt-warranty-extension/

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have no issues with 2015 QX60 even towing a heavy boat about 4000lb it handles well for this vehicle size.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Well, you are doing pretty good considering your qx60 has a 3,500 pound towing capacity. Your boats listed weight is without gas and gear in it... The weight adds up and the engine/trans pay the price. Be nice to that CVT if she's been good to you so far, unless you are under warranty... Then give her ****!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 QX60 Hybrid. Got slight judder from 1st to 2nd, some say it's the beginning of the end. What kind of accommodation did Infinity offer you? Or have you just bought 3 transmissions??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Take to dealer, the transmission software probably needs to be reprogrammed. I understand there is a SB out on it. Mine did that too at ~30k miles— the reprogram fixed it. I’m at 73k miles now, no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. We recently purchased a 2014 qx60 with 60,000km's on it. I called the dealership to inquire into the previous work done on it and was told that it is on it's third transmission (#2 @ 4,000km's, #3 @ 6,000km's) and second valve body @ 44,000 km's. There has been 2 updates to the programming (not sure what they were). Yikes, the seller did not disclose this despite requesting any "major" repairs. I am on the fence of just selling it before I have any issues with it. There is powertrain warranty till Jan 2020 thank god. Does anyone know if there is a permanent fix (ie. upgraded CVT, valve body, or anything else)? In Canada we do not have the extended warranty applied that came as a result of the lawsuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 qx60 with 31,000 miles. Having problems with cvt transmission humming at speed between 20-40 mph. Dealer claims no fix and issue with cvt. I’m looking to unload the car before it gets worse and effecting ability to sell it. For s luxury SUV the car mechanically it a piece of junk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2015 one, bought it brand new. I had the same issue before, and that humming was annoying the f out of me. It happened the first time when my car got to 2000 miles, then I took it back to Infiniti for service. They told me the same thing, no problem. After many many times of bringing my car back to service (FYI, I went to a different dealership for service after the first dealership wasn't helpful at all. I tried multiple times, and they didn't do anything for me.), and by the time they fixed the issue, my car was already 50000 miles. "LOL, what a joke!!". and now my car is 113xxx miles. As I remember, the problem came from a torque or throttle module. That part has an issue when you drive to certain RPM at certain gear (although is a CVT). Mine wasn't able to cruise at 1200 rpm around 20 mph. It will hum the f out. Also, beware of the radiator fan failure, most likely it will last to about 70k-90k miles I say. Under the hood of QX60 is so packed, there is not much room for cooling. If you had an overheating issue in the future, check the fan, it will first start from the one supports the AC, then the other. You will hear noise when from the beginning, the fan got loose from the motor, it hits the bracket.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 2014 QX60, approx 100k miles. It's in the shop right now for it's 3rd transmission. Transmission #2 lasted 22k miles. Not even a full year, yet still is not covered by their standard warranty because apparently while Ford offers 3 years/unlimited mileage on replacement transmissions, Infiniti gives you the lesser of 12 months or 12,000 miles. They seem to have no faith in their own parts. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/InfinitiQX60_org/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/img]
Well, if it's "not even a full year" then you are covered by the Infiniti replacement warranty. Other than that, Infiniti does in fact stand behind these transmissions as they extended the warranty to upwards of 120,000 miles for certain models. That's 50,000 miles more than the standard warranty. Mine had a software update for the CVT and never gave me an issue. My VIN shows the CVT extension on my paperwork.

https://www.infinitiassist.com/campaigns/2013-2014-jx-qx60-cvt-warranty-extension/
Delayed response but no...

A) If you go over the 12,000 miles in under a year your warranty is done. It's whichever comes FIRST.

B) That extension ONLY applied to non-hybrids. Hybrids apparently are excluded, even though clearly they have the same issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts