Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Question about the AWD option for the QX60.. Since most of the non AWD version are FWD, does anyone know if the motor is still turned the same in the AWD version? I'm just not a fan of FWD vehicles and from what I can tell, the QX60 runs in FWD mode if AWD isn't used.

THank you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are correct, the AWD is not all-time AWD. The computer determines what power is needed where and during use where AWD is not needed, your AWD will be a FWD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Everything I’m reading about Infiniti’s intelligent AWD system will send the power to the rear wheels 100% when not needed and divert up to 50% to the front when needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From Infiniti....

" In AWD QX60 models, the system prioritizes drive to the front wheels until it senses wheel slip or other traction problems--when it can shift up to half the torque to the rear wheels. "

·
Registered
57 Posts
Newer models are different, but for 2014 this is it... Not sure when they updated the AWD system between 2014-2019

·
Registered
103 Posts
Newer models are different, but for 2014 this is it... Not sure when they updated the AWD system between 2014-2019
Not sure, even the 2013 Infiniti JX35 overview says power will be diverted to the front wheels when needed. So they are saying that it is RWD when not in use.

"This system will divert up to 50% of the available power to the front wheels to enhance traction."

Current info on AWD, including the QX60:

https://www.infiniti.com/what-drives-us/power-and-performance/intelligent-all-wheel-drive.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Meh, this is what my literature says about my model...

"QX60 vehicles equipped with Intelligent All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system can intuitively adjust handling and power delivery in adverse weather conditions. By constantly monitoring wheelspin, throttle position, and vehicle speed, the system can automatically divert up to 50% of the available power to the rear wheels, enhancing traction and control when conditions are less than optimal. When all-wheel drive is not needed, 100% of the power is channeled to the front to improve fuel economy allowing the vehicle to be driven in conditions better suited for front-wheel drive."

·
Registered
5 Posts
QX60 AWD is 100% FWD until wheel spin is detected.

"Intelligent AWD helps give you control by adjusting handling and power in most conditions. It monitors wheel spin, throttle position and speed, and diverts up to 50% of the available power to the rear wheels when conditions are less than optimal. When All-Wheel Drive isn’t needed, 100% of the power is channeled to the front wheels."

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, I stand corrected. Looks like the brochure for 2018 and 2019 say the same:

UNITE POWER WITH CONTROL Experience
performance that’s in tune with the road. An impressive
3.5-liter V6 engine with 295 hp and direct injection
technology help increase power and torque while
retaining smoothness. When road conditions change,
Intelligent All-Wheel Drive responds by sending up to
50% of power to the rear wheels to enhance
available traction.

Interesting that some of their other literature and videos say otherwise.

·
Registered
597 Posts
AWD works well. I have the 2013 model, and can't remember the last time tires slipped from a start. It's great at transitioning quickly/smoothly from front to rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. The current Infiniti website says 100% rear wheel power in good conditions.

POWER WHERE YOU NEED IT
INFINITI’s Intelligent All-Wheel Drive provides power and support where and when you need it, instantly adapting to the changing conditions of the road. By constantly monitoring wheelspin, throttle position and vehicle speed, this system automatically diverts up to 50% of the available power to the front wheels, enhancing traction and control when conditions are less than optimal. When all-wheel drive is not needed, the system sends 100% of the power to the rear wheels for more responsive road performance.

Anyone have a 2020 owner's manual that can confirm that they haven't got a typo on their website? 😅

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading waaay too many websites, I'm not sure even Nissan/Infiniti knows how this works. The Nissan Intelligent AWD websites all say Front wheel drive until traction is needed, the Infiniti sites (and youtube videos from 2010
) all say Rear Wheel drive until traction is needed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts