Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New guy here. I test drove a 2014 CPO with 40k miles AWD the other day. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the purchase.

The concern I have is reliability - looking through Edmunds and other forums I'm reading a lot of reviews about transmission and all sorts of problems. I'm not sure if these are genuine reviews or not but they look real.

Can someone help me - does this car generally have more reliability issues than let's say an acura MDX? Am I better off not getting this car if I want to avoid headaches, even if covered under warranty?

I was impressed by the features and spaciousness. The CVT ride was ok for me as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
46k on my 2014, had cvt replaced. no issues, love the car. was always taken care of at dealership.
replaced? sounds like you had a problem then before the replacement. I guess I can ask for full service records.

are there common problems not related to the cvt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a 2014 CPO back in 2014. I wasn't too worried about the CVT issues back then cause the CPO warranties me to yr 2019. I've never had any issues with the shuddering I hear about. How long will the warranty last you? The only advice I have for you, is to make sure you get ALL the option packages that u are happy with and what is in it.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a 2014 CPO back in 2014. I wasn't too worried about the CVT issues back then cause the CPO warranties me to yr 2019. I've never had any issues with the shuddering I hear about. How long will the warranty last you? The only advice I have for you, is to make sure you get ALL the option packages that u are happy with and what is in it.
Good luck
The warranty should take me through June 2020...i know there are unlimited miles but i expect the car to have around 80k on it if i choose to dispose of it

The CPO though....it's definitely a lot of assurance but if i have a problem the dealer can't fix or can't replicate, or there are problems not covered by warranty, or it's in the shop all the time i'm basically stuck with it and during the first 2-3 years it would be a money losing proposition to resell the car. sort of like those cars that offer 10 year 100k warranties - what good are they if the car is constantly breaking down and/or the quality is bad when it's not quite broken.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, the car had that stupid judder/shudder issue. The only way I can explain the issue is that for a fraction of a second its like the car is in too high of a gear (pulleys) and then it switches to where is needs to be. The car never broke down, never left me stranded nor did it ever feel like it was putting me in danger, it was like putting the car in 5th gear when it should be in 1st or second. (makes sense if you ever drove a manual) Anyway, the dealer tried to reprogram it which basically did nothing and then said they wanted to replace it. They even put in a note in my records that I get an additional 60k warranty on the cvt from the replacement date. They also took my car and stored it for a couple of days while all the parts came in while giving me another loaner vehicle.

Also what I think happened was when the JX35 came out and they used this cvt they tried to get better mpg on it by programming the cvt to always switch into higher gear (again pulleys) while cruising hence what I described earlier, the problem is I live in the mountains so trying to maintain the speed going up hill has the cvt tranmission going into the higher gear and then trying to reshift on the fly while it needs a lower gear. My 20014 qx60 was manufactured dec 2013 and sold on march 2014 so it was the old build type of the JX35, when the cvt issues described above starting coming to light, they switch the programming on the cvt and something else with the design. You will notice that mid 2014 models and higher drive way differently than the 2013 models and get less mpg.

So i guess what you need to do to see if you have the issue is to drive up a hill and get to about 40 mph, then take you foot off accelerator allowing the car to switch to a higher gear (rpms go lower) then allow the car to start slowing down, then accelerate again, if the car judders along have them replace the cvt and point to this forum, if it doesn't then you probably wont ever have the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
detailed description there but is that the only issue?

the cpo i'm looking at was "offered for sale" in may 2014...not sure what the manufacture date would be but may close to yours. the carfax doesn't have complete service history...starts at 25k miles for things like oil changes and tire rotations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts