Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm told that the large front is susceptible to chips and scratches from highway driving. Has anyone installed a protective film for their QX60 and, if so, what film did you use? I hear 3M is the go to brand.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had mine done immediately after buying, and I think it's worth every penny. I had the entire front end covered, bumper, hood, mirrors, etc... My wife's car hood has protection but not the bumper it's a mess of chips.

3M installed by a local shop. I don't remember the exact cost, maybe $250?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
The dealership will charge a lot more. When we purchase our cars new, we do run it through the dealership since they have a place that does the work exclusively for the luxury dealerships. When we've had issues, we take the car back to the dealership and they send it out to be repaired.

The 3M product is much better than most of the films out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer charges $550 but that is just for the partial hood and fenders. It makes sense to do the bumper too but that will hit up to $900.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wonder how difficult is applying yourself. The 3M spray cans are only $18 each on Amazon. Not sure if that is the same stuff, but if it is and you need 2 cans to cover half hood, bumper and mirror covers it will be fraction of what the dealer has been asking.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I purchased the 3M film for our Nissan Rogue several years ago and frankly, I wouldn't try to do it again. The dealership that handled our QX60 sent it to a shop that has the film cut specifically for the car. It came out fantastic and is covered by warranty. If you are going to keep your car for the long haul I think its worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
That spray stuff is very hard to apply well.

And doing the film yourself is a big, challenging project if you haven't done it before. Especially with all the curves on the car. I've done headlights with pre-cut film by myself and even that was so-so.

I'm of the opinion that this is definitely one of those things worth paying a professional for.

If you lease your car and won't be keeping it, then it is a waste of money, IMO. If you're going to keep the car for 5+ years and 80K+ miles, I'd definitely do it - especially if you drive where it snows and they sand/salt the roads.

I'm not a fan of the half hood look. I'd either do the whole hood, or not at all. Definitely do bumpers, lights and mirrors. If you don't have a SS bumper protector, add a strip back there too. Door cups are nice if you or your SO has long nails and scratches inside the handles a lot.

I would not pay the dealer to do this. We just pay the same thing as you can get, then mark it up. We don't do it ourselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deed is done. Full front was wrapped with 3M film today. The bad news is it costed $1k all-in. It was from a certified film installer which ensures 7-year warranty. This includes the bumper which my dealer wouldn't do. I figured 7 years of chip-free paint would save me much more than this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New poster here. Although it is 2017 now, I decided to buy a 2016 QX60 Premium package. I did not care too much for the changes in the 2017 such as engine and infotainment....Body appears to still be the same. I paid 41.5k plus HST and licensing in Ontario.

Anyways, I am also looking to get the front of my hood and bumper covered to protect the paint from stone chips. I have asked around and it is pricey. Anyone tried to do it themselves? I am tempted to do it myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts