Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of days after we purchased our 2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid last week, the car wouldn't start. We contacted the dealer who said to contact Infiniti roadside assistance. Luckily our hesitation about the Infiniti brand made us buy the extended warranty since the vehicle has 63,000 miles on it. Had to have roadside assistance come to jump the car. It did the trick, but then 2 days later the same thing happened. After the 3rd time within a week of having roadside assistance come out to start it up (and they confirmed the battery itself isn't the problem) I told the salesman that this just wasn't going to fly to have the battery die every day and we've only had the car a week. So right now the vehicle is at the dealership and will be looked at on Tuesday. Thinking maybe it's the alternator, or maybe something more serious. I'm already researching other cars to trade this one in for. Am I rushing to judgment and not giving this a chance? Too bad our state doesn't have any lemon law protection for used cars and the car is out of original warranty.

My questions
a) has anyone else experienced this?
b) should I cut my losses now and lose some money on it, trade it in for something else? I'm looking at Toyota Highlanders because we know and trust the brand.
c) if this happened to you did you keep or get rid of the QX60?

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I was looking to purchase I did a brief review and it did seem the Hybrids weren't as good of an idea as the base models, so I ended up with a base model. However, I can't help but feel like you want this to be a problem.

our hesitation about the Infiniti brand made us buy the extended warranty
I'm looking at Toyota Highlanders because we know and trust the brand.
and of course, your username.

I have owned two Corollas and currently own a Camry. Great, reliable cars. But I also owned a 2006 Maxima SL and now own a QX60, and zero problems with either. So for me the Nissan/Infiniti brand has been as reliable as Toyota, in my personal experience with them both.

So, if you want an excuse to get a Highlander, get it. I researched the cars and I was in favor of the QX60's looks and features. So if I was in your shoes, I would absolutely return the faulty one you got, and get another QX60. I wouldn't jump to another make because of one bad sample though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that the QX60's look and features hands-down surpass many other SUVs. Perhaps we'll look at trading in for the regular, non-Hybrid model and not completely abandoning Infiniti and the QX60.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a couple of days after we purchased our 2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid last week, the car wouldn't start. We contacted the dealer who said to contact Infiniti roadside assistance. Luckily our hesitation about the Infiniti brand made us buy the extended warranty since the vehicle has 63,000 miles on it. Had to have roadside assistance come to jump the car. It did the trick, but then 2 days later the same thing happened. After the 3rd time within a week of having roadside assistance come out to start it up (and they confirmed the battery itself isn't the problem) I told the salesman that this just wasn't going to fly to have the battery die every day and we've only had the car a week. So right now the vehicle is at the dealership and will be looked at on Tuesday. Thinking maybe it's the alternator, or maybe something more serious. I'm already researching other cars to trade this one in for. Am I rushing to judgment and not giving this a chance? Too bad our state doesn't have any lemon law protection for used cars and the car is out of original warranty.

My questions
a) has anyone else experienced this?
b) should I cut my losses now and lose some money on it, trade it in for something else? I'm looking at Toyota Highlanders because we know and trust the brand.
c) if this happened to you did you keep or get rid of the QX60?
My hybrid has been at the dealer 5x in last 9 months and they refuse to admit the hybrid battery is failing. Car runs fine and then all of a sudden I press the start button and all the dashboard lights go on, radio on etc. No engine! Car gets towed to Infinity and its in the lit a few days until the recognition gets to it and by then battery has recharged and it starts right up. They tell me they can't duplicate the problem so I go pick it up. It drives fine for 3 days and them it happens again. Douglas Infinity in summit, NJ has to Have the worst mechanics in the world. I have repeated this cycle 4 times now! All the blogs say it's the battery or alternator. Bringing it to a different dealer today.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The engine starts using a 12 Volt battery, not the hybrid battery. Once the 12 Volt goes, it won’t hold a charge and the car won’t start. Have the dealer replace the 12 Volt battery and test the charging system to ensure it is working correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all ~ Thank you for reading~)
As of now, I am under contract to buy a 2014 Qx60 Hybrid with 74k miles.
Price & terms backed up with 90day/3k mile - 'lip-service'-used-car warranty.
The vehicle is clean, has All the service/recall records(7)& is a 1 owner from Virginia originally, who moved to the North East with, then traded-in the truck.

The car seems like a carefully well-driven, fully dealer serviced luxury vehicle. At a sawed-off 5'4" I have to adjust the seats to the maximum height. Next to a Ford 350 diesel Van,(that was the same size in weight), this is the biggest thing I have ever driven. (it will not fit in the garage!)

During the test drive, I noticed & voiced concern over the low charge level on the 'engine-to-battery-charging' display. This was then made more concerning given what I read here.

(1) How can I test/trust that the main high-voltage battery is good?

(2) Can I/Should I insist on some sort of warranty (paid extended?)

There are always other cars, the QX60h is a proud 'Land-Yacht' that has me intimidated. This will be our 1st SUV, coming from decades of small station-wagons; VW Passats (3) & Audi A4s(2), the last car was 91k mile AWD, 08' A4 2.0 Turbo Wagon

The Qx60h, a truck, is loaded , , ,(over-loaded?)
Both with Tech-features/gadgets and overall actual weight?!
it seems that for a 4cyl engine - It is so heavy!
(2.5)Are any of - or the third-row seats removable?

(3) @74k miles for just over $20k - Have I made a mistake?

I have a day & the weekend before I have to pony up the $$.

Thanx again for your time.
Anything to get me down off this ledge would be gratefully appreciated.
Soon to be a QX60Gnome.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I believe you are referencing the hybrid battery. It has a 96 month/100k mile warranty. If you are referring to the state of charge of the hybrid battery, it is normal for it to only charge half way. The only time you will see it with a max charge is when you brake down a long incline. Once the battery is maxed, the engine will turn on and engine brake to help keep your speed in check. Then when at the bottom of the hill it will use electric assist until the battery discharges halfway.

·
Registered
475 Posts
BTW, I have a 2014 QX60 Hybrid with 84k trouble free miles. I just bought my wife a new car, and I’m keeping the QX60 for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rooster - Ah, yes thank you,
it is such an all-in, roll of the dice sort of jump in - against many reviews, I 'm willing to gamble that I've found a "good" one, still Monday is a few days away we shall see.,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have info on power-chair conversion? Basically Is the 3rd row seat removable to (This may be the Location of the battery under the the floor?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The hybrid Battery is located under the third row, and yes I believe it has to be removed to gain access to it. Recommend you take a look at the following 2014 dismantle guide on the hybrid, it should answer a lot of your question before you decide to buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ROOSTER!
(Not hollering at you) Sorry I missed you.

Yes, The 'Dismantle Guide' Link Please ! That is what I need to see.

Edit:
Was the link you suggested this?:
(I used ;:-2013/4 qx60 hybrid dismantle guide, rear floor battery vault:: as my search, that gave me the 2015 model year.

Again, sorry! I must have just missed you?! I can only check-in between running around with kids 'n teenagers. So every 3-4 hours, soon that will be changing due to the oncoming pandemic Cloistering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts