Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My vehicle is a 2015 QX60 with touring package, purchased in June 2015 from the Infiniti dealership in Saskatoon (Canada).

The vehicle exhibits a slight vibration (at a frequency similar to that of driving over rumble strips) when accelerating hard from a stop or very low speed. The vehicle accelerates smoothly and without issue until the RPMs hit between 3500-4000, then the vibration starts and the vehicle does not accelerate as smoothly (minor intermittent hesitation). Once the RPMs hit between about 4500-5000, the vibration and hesitation stops and acceleration continues smoothly. The vibration does not occur when accelerating while already driving at city or highway speeds. I first noticed the issue about a month after owning the vehicle. At first I thought I as just being picky (owning my first luxury vehicle) as the vibration was hardly noticeable and dismissed the issue. But after while I realized I could replicate the vibration every time I attempted, and the vibration and hesitation increased/become more noticeable.

I brought the vehicle to the dealership last fall and described the issue. They were able to replicate the issue and immediately replaced the electronic coupler, which did not fix the problem. After consulting with master technicians with Infiniti Canada, the dealership was given the go ahead to replace the CVT. This also did not fix the problem.
At this point I left the vehicle at the dealership and told them to keep it until they figured out the issue and fixed it. After having the vehicle for the next week, the dealership technicians started swapping out drive train parts from a new 2015 QX60 that had just arrived on the lot - they swapped out the CVT, drive shafts, and rear differential. This also did not solve the problem. The shop did notice that there was no vibration issue when they drove my QX60 without the rear driveshaft installed.
The shop foreman then decided to drive other vehicles on the lot including a 2013 JX35, a 2014 QX60, and the brand new 2015 QX60 mentioned above. The shop foreman was able to replicate the issue in every vehicle, every time he hit the gas. I also drove a 2015 pathfinder that the dealership had on the lot, and I was also able to replicate the issue. In fact, the vibration is more noticeable in the Pathfinder when locked in 4-high. The loaner I had during this time (2015 QX60) also exhibited the same issue.

There has been some communication between the local dealer and Infiniti Canada; however, Infiniti Canada says, according to the local service rep, that they have not been able to replicate the issue. I have been advised to contact Infiniti costumer service and see where that goes. To date, there are no service bulletins for this issue.

Has anyone experienced this issue or heard of this issue before? I have been searching forums for a couple of months and have not found any thread that describes this same problem. Given mine and the dealerships experience in being able to easily replicate this issue, it appears that this might be a common problem between many vehicles.

I will provide ongoing updates to this post detailing my experience and hopefully an eventual fix.

Just a note, my experience with the service department at the local dealership has been outstanding and have always been provided a loaner.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: I test drove a 2016 QX60 on May 6, 2016 and it did not demonstrate the same vibration/hesitation; it was very smooth. It only had a couple of hundred Km's on it, so maybe the issue has not had time to develop, or the drivetrain has been altered between the previous years and the 2016 model which prevents the issue. I am back at the dealership this week for HVAC issues, so I will mention this to them then.
I also received a response from customer service on May 10, 2016. Their response was that the vibration "is a result of driver behavior and normal operating characteristics of the CVT". I find it interesting that when I attempt to drive a $60K "luxury" vehicle in a manner encouraged by Infiniti's own add campaigns and their self portrayed "sporty" brand image, the vehicle vibrates.
Back to the dealership to try and get this resolved...

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is just horrible, I have the 2016 Model with only 500 miles on it and so far I haven't experience any of the above mentioned problems... I hope they take care of all your issues you deserve better #Vibrations #HVAC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another great feature!! Have you noticed the vibration in the middle row. The 60/40 split bench. The 60 portion shakes/vibrates and the 40 does not. I tested and dealer verified other QX60s have this feature also. 50k car and you get vibrations. Infiniti can do better!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
@cjr....any updates on addressing your problem? My 2015 QX60 w/ 38K is at the dealership having the rear coupler replaced for vibration/slip when turning left or right. I hope their diagnosis addresses the issue. However, from reading your posts...I am concerned that it may not. Btw...what were your HVAC issues?

UPDATE: I test drove a 2016 QX60 on May 6, 2016 and it did not demonstrate the same vibration/hesitation; it was very smooth. It only had a couple of hundred Km's on it, so maybe the issue has not had time to develop, or the drivetrain has been altered between the previous years and the 2016 model which prevents the issue. I am back at the dealership this week for HVAC issues, so I will mention this to them then.
I also received a response from customer service on May 10, 2016. Their response was that the vibration "is a result of driver behavior and normal operating characteristics of the CVT". I find it interesting that when I attempt to drive a $60K "luxury" vehicle in a manner encouraged by Infiniti's own add campaigns and their self portrayed "sporty" brand image, the vehicle vibrates.
Back to the dealership to try and get this resolved...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@cjr....any updates on addressing your problem? My 2015 QX60 w/ 38K is at the dealership having the rear coupler replaced for vibration/slip when turning left or right. I hope their diagnosis addresses the issue. However, from reading your posts...I am concerned that it may not. Btw...what were your HVAC issues?
Sorry for the late reply. Hopefully your issues have been resolved (if not please share further details). My HVAC issues included bad odors on multiple occasions (I always change the cabin filter every year. I also now have the dealer spray a deodorizer into the vents at every service, which so far has resolved the issue), unresponsive fan control, and a blown fuse.

The vibrations that I have experienced under acceleration are still present, but Infiniti still insists this is normal. After presenting my numerous issues with the vehicle (the latest being the failure of my key fob in unlocking the doors, as well as the mechanical backup key not working in the locks, which left me and my son outside in subzero temps) to Infiniti, I was able to negotiate additional warranty free of charge (7 years/140,000 Km total).

Given how some owners don't receive any assistance or resolution to "lemon" vehicles, I am appreciative of the gesture. Although it may not stop issues (Eg. being locked out of the vehicle in winter) at least the expense for the repair should be covered while I own the vehicle.

For anyone else having numerous issues with their new vehicle, all I can say is document every single vehicle issue, every conversation, email, and service record with the dealership and customer service, all with date and time, and show that you have all the records well documented. Also, don't be satisfied with no, and push for issues to go further up the chain. Press to be cc'd on emails that go back and forth between the dealership, area mangers, and corporate. I also mentioned to the dealership that I was looking into CANVAP (Canada's lame equivalent to US Lemon Law - which I really did not want to proceed with). All this no doubt helped in getting my issues recognized at Infiniti Canada and in receiving the extra warranty.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar vibration issues

Sorry for the late reply. Hopefully your issues have been resolved (if not please share further details). My HVAC issues included bad odors on multiple occasions (I always change the cabin filter every year. I also now have the dealer spray a deodorizer into the vents at every service, which so far has resolved the issue), unresponsive fan control, and a blown fuse.

The vibrations that I have experienced under acceleration are still present, but Infiniti still insists this is normal. After presenting my numerous issues with the vehicle (the latest being the failure of my key fob in unlocking the doors, as well as the mechanical backup key not working in the locks, which left me and my son outside in subzero temps) to Infiniti, I was able to negotiate additional warranty free of charge (7 years/140,000 Km total).

Given how some owners don't receive any assistance or resolution to "lemon" vehicles, I am appreciative of the gesture. Although it may not stop issues (Eg. being locked out of the vehicle in winter) at least the expense for the repair should be covered while I own the vehicle.

For anyone else having numerous issues with their new vehicle, all I can say is document every single vehicle issue, every conversation, email, and service record with the dealership and customer service, all with date and time, and show that you have all the records well documented. Also, don't be satisfied with no, and push for issues to go further up the chain. Press to be cc'd on emails that go back and forth between the dealership, area mangers, and corporate. I also mentioned to the dealership that I was looking into CANVAP (Canada's lame equivalent to US Lemon Law - which I really did not want to proceed with). All this no doubt helped in getting my issues recognized at Infiniti Canada and in receiving the extra warranty.

Cheers.
I have had very similar vibration issues on a Q60 coupe. My post on the Q60 forum:

Has anyone else been experiencing vibration issues at highway speeds and on acceleration? I have had my car into the dealership at least 8 times since purchase for them to track this down. The condition is usually a constant annoying vibration that you can feel in the steering wheel and seat of the vehicle (passengers have noticed as well), but very occasionally it will turn into a downright shuddering of the vehicle above 65mph. The constant condition used to be intermittent but is now always there. The vibration is still there if putting the vehicle into neutral at highway speed.

The dealer at first claimed they could not reproduce the issue (3 appointments) and that the run flat tires ride poorly. Later they claimed it was balancing required (did not solve issue). Month's later they claimed I need 4 new tires. Purchased Continental Extreme Contact tires (not run flats) and it did not solve the issue. They then said two of the brand new tires were defective and needed to be replaced (done). After replaced, the car was worse. They then road force balanced the car multiple times and kept the vehicle to perform extended road tests. Received vehicle back, no improvement. I was then told, this is a normal condition for the coupes.

I eventually got more info from an Infiniti service mechanic who told me they are seeing this issues with many of the Q60 coupes. He knows exactly what I am talking about and feels it as well on test drives. Infiniti's internal database shows hundreds of owner complaints of this condition and none of them are getting fixed. Infiniti mechanics are frustrated as their hands are tied. He told me that he suspects an issue/defect in the drive line, but they are not authorized to swap out parts here under warranty to troubleshoot unless regional Infiniti master technicians are involved. They cannot isolate the issue otherwise. I am now working to escalate this within Infiniti Consumer Affairs but this is frustrating to say the least on a new car at this price point. I love everything else about the vehicle and just want to solve the problem. My car has been at the dealership's service department 5 out of the last 6 weeks. I have owned four prior Infiniti coupes G35's, G37, G37 convertible and have never had this issue. I hope to stay an Infiniti customer going forward but if I cannot get this resolved, I may be done.

Let me know if you ever get the problem solved please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts