Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am looking at purchasing a new QX60 but have some questions about the way the AWD system functions on it.

We are a big Skiing family, and currently have all AWD cars. We live up in Pennsylvania but go on many ski trips over the winter to VT and even Canada, and completely rely on good snow traction on these trips, as we often will be hit with big snowstorms while traveling.

My understanding is that the QX60 is actually in rear wheel drive all the time, and then will automatically shift power to the front wheels if/when the computers sense 'slip'. Is this correct?

So, a few questions:

1) Am I correct that the QX60 is really rear-wheel drive until it senses slip?
2) How much power can it distribute to the front vs. rear. For example, on my Audi Quattro and Volvo XC90, it can vary from up to 100% all the way to the front or 100% all the way to the rear wheels, depending upon which axles are getting traction.
3) Can it also allocate different power levels to different wheels on the same axel? For example, on my Quattro and XC90 , if one front wheel slips, it moves more power to the other front wheel. The beauty of this approach is that you can actually get yourself out of a snowbank as long as you have just one tire that has traction. The system will know to put power to just that wheel and you can power out.

We looked at the QX60 and really liked it. We are comparing against the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX.

But I am a bit worried that the QX60's approach to AWD may not be good enough for us.

We have an Audi Quattro, Volvo XC90, and two Subarus. All AWD cars that get snows on for the winter, and as big "snow birds", have spent many a harrowing drives forging through blizzards and snow covered roads, so we KNOW how important good 4WD can be and don't want to get a vehicle if the 4WD system just isn't up to par. Maybe for a snowy highway a part-time 4WD is ok, but we go up back roads through the mountains of Vermont and Canada. And our Volvo XC90 has always served us faithfully, so if we make a switch, we need to know the QX60 is up to the task.

Any technical advice or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
698 Posts
All,

1) Am I correct that the QX60 is really rear-wheel drive until it senses slip?
2) How much power can it distribute to the front vs. rear. For example, on my Audi Quattro and Volvo XC90, it can vary from up to 100% all the way to the front or 100% all the way to the rear wheels, depending upon which axles are getting traction.
3) Can it also allocate different power levels to different wheels on the same axel? For example, on my Quattro and XC90 , if one front wheel slips, it moves more power to the other front wheel. The beauty of this approach is that you can actually get yourself out of a snowbank as long as you have just one tire that has traction. The system will know to put power to just that wheel and you can power out.
1 - The QX60 is a primarily FWD vehicle. If slip is detected, 50% power will be diverted to the rear, otherwise 100% is sent to the front.

2016 Infiniti QX60 Crossover Performance | Infiniti USA

2 - 50% can be sent to the rear. I don't think the system is smart enough to send power to the non-slipping wheel (versus the slipping wheels). The vehicle does have anti-slip which can be difficult to move on ice (system cuts power to the wheels and you end up not moving anywhere).

3 - See #2 , no. I don't see any reference in the Infiniti materials that describe this functionality.

The QX60 isn't a super snow-machine. Hope this helps

Here is a great video of the QX60 in the snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzeP_jx__OM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

That's pretty limited 4WD performance if it is really only front-drive all time and only shifts a max of 50% to the rear axles, and it won't even distribute it to the better tire within each axle...

Usually, the anti-slip system works in conjunction with the AWD system to control slip at a "per wheel" basis..

I recognize that this is primarily a road-bound SUV, but Audi and Volvo all have much more advanced 4WD systems then this.. a bit disappointing... My Volvo XC90 with its Haldex system drives with about a 80/20 split of power in normal driving, but can transfer close to 100% to either the fronts or backs, and even adjust at a 'per wheel' basis.. And the Audi Quattro is also very advanced and can split and distribute power among the wheels..

The video you included shows the difference pretty well...

Otherwise, was highly impressed with it, and a much better value for the money then the Audi or Volvo if you ask me... and the third row was by far the most usable..and though the drivers cockpit was excellent...

Michael

·
Registered
59 Posts
We had a Pathfinder ( pretty much the same car), but you could lock it in 4 wheel drive. Or drive with the computer figuring out where to send the power in all wheel drive mode. There was a negligible difference in the two drive modes. So when we got the QX, I didn't care a bit that it couldn't lock into 4x4, I already knew how good the AWD was.

Ours has Blizzak snow tires, and it will easily and confidently go anywhere you dare go. Yes, we live in the mountains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts