Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently been looking into a QX60 with a new baby and plans of a future second one.

I've historically driven BMW and Audi products before, but I work for a company that offers me the Nissan/Infiniti VPP program. The savings was enough for me to stop by a dealership and I was very impressed with the car.

While I know this may make me a bit of a snob, I've come to really like the LED DRLs in many of the German models and noticed that the current year 2015 didn't have them.

The 2016 face lift cures this problem and solves a few other minor issues that were giving me pause. They have supposedly made changes to the steering and reduced a lot of the cabin noise when driving.

Obviously the 2016 will come at an increased cost and it something I have to wait for.

My question for the forum goers here is:

Are the refinements made to the 2016 worth any increased cost and if so, does anyone, Infiniti employee or otherwise, have a more precise timeframe for this model to hit dealerships? I'm looking for something less vague than "Winter"

Any thoughts or ideas? Your insight is much appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Two big areas they targeted was design and chassis, which you might feel a difference in once behind the wheel.

IMO 2016 is worth it purely for the design improvement, much more pleasing to the eye. Keep in mind the design refresh in in line with the brands design language and will age much better than 2015, 2015 already looks years older to me.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Not sure on the release date but when the 2013 came out, it was in May/June 2012. It does seem like there are improvements to the 2016, but my question still concerns the navigation and communications systems. We know that the older models that have the Infiniti Connection and Personal Assistant that uses the AT&T 2G network may no longer be available at the end of 2016 when AT&T drops the network. I would think the center console navigation communications unit would be identical to what Infiniti is putting in all of its other vehicles. Just haven't seen the interior design yet to confirm. One would think they have addressed this in the 2016 models.

Here is an excerpt from the 2015 Infiniti QX60 website:

AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will discontinue 2G network service. Vehicles equipped with telematics hardware compatible for use with the 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T will be unable to connect to the 2G network and unable to access the Infiniti Connection features.You must enroll by June 30, 2016 to access the services on the 2G network through December 31, 2016. Services require compatible cellular network provided by AT&T. Cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s or Sirius XM Connected Vehicle Service's (“Sirius XM”) control. Like other devices that rely on network coverage, once the network service is discontinued, Infiniti Connection services will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which neither Infiniti nor Sirius XM can guarantee. Infiniti and Sirius XM are not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network turndown (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Certain vehicle services, including Google® compatible services, provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s or Sirius XM's control and are subject to change without notice or liability to Infiniti or Sirius XM and either of their affiliates and agents. Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply. Certain services require a PIN for activation. Terms and conditions of subscription agreement apply. See Infiniticonnection.com for more information.

·
Registered
689 Posts
IMO there are a few technology changes to account for more advanced safety systems (better stopping, better lane assist, better distance control) and a few styling differences in the front/back. Otherwise, the mid-cycle refresh is minor. I've seen mid-cycle refreshes in other cars that completely overhaul the interior and/or exterior. Fortunately for the QX60 there really wasn't much wrong so there wasn't much to "fix". It should be noted the QX60 helped Infiniti achieve it's best vehicle sales ever in 2015.

I personally like technology updates so I'd buy the newest. Otherwise they will drive the same as the pre-2016's so if those tech-enhancements don't get you excited, get the 2015.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The headlights alone might be worth waiting for the 2016 - not that I know the 2016 is that much better, its just that 2015 headlights suck big time - and with the looks of it (literally), I think the 2016s would be much better [relatively speaking compared to the 2015].

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
We should see '16's end of Feb, early March.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The center console of the 2016 QX60 is exactly the same as the 2015 - no changes at all ! (Saw the car the Detroit auto show)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is an excerpt from the 2015 Infiniti QX60 website:

AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will discontinue 2G network service. Vehicles equipped with telematics hardware compatible for use with the 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T will be unable to connect to the 2G network and unable to access the Infiniti Connection features.You must enroll by June 30, 2016 to access the services on the 2G network through December 31, 2016. Services require compatible cellular network provided by AT&T. Cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s or Sirius XM Connected Vehicle Service's (“Sirius XM”) control. Like other devices that rely on network coverage, once the network service is discontinued, Infiniti Connection services will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which neither Infiniti nor Sirius XM can guarantee. Infiniti and Sirius XM are not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network turndown (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Certain vehicle services, including Google® compatible services, provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s or Sirius XM's control and are subject to change without notice or liability to Infiniti or Sirius XM and either of their affiliates and agents. Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply. Certain services require a PIN for activation. Terms and conditions of subscription agreement apply. See Infiniticonnection.com for more information.
I am considering getting a used 2014 QX60. How would the above affect me with the 2G network service ending?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I am considering getting a used 2014 QX60. How would the above affect me with the 2G network service ending?
It won't. You aren't going to pay $308/yr for Infiniti Connection anyway. So don't worry about it. I think I've seen three customers who pay for the service after the free trial is over.

We've been asking Infiniti for a year how they're going to deal with this situation. They have NO CLUE. It has become a running joke around here. Infiniti does a lot of great stuff. Addressing this issue is not one of those things.

Reactions: kthomas and humvet
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.