Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else still having problems with the "passenger airbag off" warning light staying on while driving with an adult over 150 pounds in the front passenger seat? This has been an ongoing problem for me since purchasing my JX35 in 2012, but recently it is happening several times a week. I have complained to the dealer since purchasing the car, but they can never find anything wrong. The recalls did not make any difference. Over the past year, we have begun using the car more as a family vehicle, and we have noticed the problem nearly every week.

After getting no satisfaction from the dealer, I asked for a contact number at Nissan/Infiniti corporate to register a complaint. On August 26, 2015, an expert from the factory met me at the dealership to review my problem. I provided him with a 6 minute video covering a portion of one drive to dinner when the light did not go off until the car was turned off and restarted. He watched the video, but declined to accept a copy offered on a flash drive. He spent about 15 minutes asking me repeatedly if I had read the owner's manual and explaining that the problem must be due to not using the seat properly. I reminded him that he had just watched a video showing how the seat was used. They kept the car for a day, and as usual could not duplicate the problem. They did a "zero reset" and torqued the seat bolts. The system had no faults and was "working as designed" according to their report.

Over the past 3 days the problem has occurred 3 more times. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and I placed another call to Infiniti Customer Care. Based my followup conversation with Infiniti after the tech rep visit in August, I do not expect any further action.

If you have had the problem and been successful getting Infiniti to resolve the issue, I would appreciate hearing from you.

If you are still having the problem, please file a complaint with the NHTSA. Their phone number is 1-888-327-4236.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exact same experience

We have owned our JX35 since December 2013. We have over 100 videos and we get the same lame excuses from Infiniti. We too, had a "technical expert" view our videos, then kindly tell us you have to sit squarely in the seat with both feet on the floor and nothing in the seatback pocket, or on the side or under the seat. He also told us that airbags don't improve safety in a vehicle. So there is nothing to be concerned about. I will file a report as you suggested. Infiniti DOES NOT CARE and won't do anything, until someone gets hurt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I posted in another thread that my QX60 2014 AWD had the same problem. As usual I did capture the video and photos showed them, service advisor and tech could not identify the problem, instead they told me that your wife's weight is the issue, her weight is low thats why seat is detecting it as child. Finally after year of struggling, this time during Zax Tek servicing, i took another QX60 as loaner vehicle and showed them that this is not occurring in the loaner one. If weight is the problem then all QX60 should detect my wife's weight as child. They obviously asked more time to analyze the issue.

Now the GOOD PART, they called me two days back and said they were able to replicate the problem and issue was with faulty sensor. Today i picked up the vehicle and tested with my wife seating on the passenger seat, we drove and now the light is not glowing, it glows for a second or two after i start the car then it goes away and does not come up. Looked at the service receipt/Invoice, they have replaced OCS Unit and OCS Sensors, they performed Zero point Reset to Resolve.

If you can bring it again to your dealer/Service advisor then ask them to contact Crest Infiniti of Plano, TX, they should be able to tell what exactly was done to fix it. I will post again if the light comes up in future till then keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you all can get your car fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Here

We've had our 2013 JX35 for just over a year, and it's been to the dealership 9 times for over 3 months worth of time for a pleathora of reasons, but this is one of them. Others have been transmission, steering, suspension and AC related.

Infiniti Corporate's response is that we do not sit in the seat properly!

So here we have a 7 passenger car, and we've just stopped letting anyone sit in the front passenger seat. Very frustrating having a $50k plus car and dealing with this type of stuff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This thread got bumped up in an eerily timely fashion.

Nissan recalls 3.5 million vehicles for faulty air bags

The system may improperly classify an adult front seat passenger as a child or as an empty seat, a failure that could lead to an air bag failing to deploy in the event of a crash. Nissan has reports of three injuries linked to the issue but no fatalities.

The new recall includes vehicles from the 2013-2017 model years, including some Nissan Altima, Leaf, Maxima, Murano, Pathfinder, Sentra, Rogue, NV200, NV Taxi, Infiniti JX35/QX60, and Q50. It also includes the 2015-2016 Chevrolet City Express, built for General Motors Co by Nissan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts