Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently failed MA inspection due to the parking brake not holding at 1,200 RPMs. After checking fluid, putting on a new set of shoes, and then tensioning the parking brake cable, the car still rolls right through before 1,200 RPMs and I am not able to pass inspection. What's confusing is that the cable is definitely engaging, I have a new set of shoes installed and the brakes can be heard squeaking when the brake is engaged. Also, the car HOLDS SUCCESSFULLY IN REVERSE, but when it's put in drive, it pulls right through. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, we have an '18 with rotors and pads on the rear. How did the pads look that you replaced? Odd that it will hold in reverse and not drive. Does the e brake pedal feel like it's firm when you set it or does it go all the way to floor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Charlie, thanks for the reply. The shoes were worn almost to the metal at the top, but had some life left towards the bottom. I changed the shoes and tensioned the cable so it was firm when depressed, but the car rolls right through the brake at less than 1,200 RPMs. In reverse, it holds almost 1,750 RPMs without moving. Last night, I removed the tires, calipers and rotors again to take a second look. The spring at the bottom of the shoes, which rides over the cable tension knuckle, was free, so I thought that might have been the issue. After replacing the spring and making sure the shoes were once again seated and tensioned properly I tried again, but still rolled through. I'm wondering if one side of the cables is bad, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to test this beside depressing the parking brake pedal and trying to spin the tire with the back end off the ground. When doing that, both back tires seem to hold very well, but that's just human strength, which is much different than the weight of the car and an engine pulling. Again, any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you seen this thread? It seems to be related to your e brake issue. Sounds like a few folks have run into this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Charlie! I saw that thread, and it's disappointing to hear others have had similar issues. Unfortunately for me, I did exactly that, adjusted the shoes, and tensioned/tested the cable, and it's still pulling through. I then was told by an Infiniti mechanic online that the threaded end of the adjuster at the top of the shoe needs to be towards the front of the vehicle, and thus the shoe on either side of the car goes the opposite way. After taking the tires back off the next night, and doing one tire over, still no luck, so I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

What everyone's trying to do is avoid having to pay a mechanic to not only diagnose, but then fix the problem, but I may be stuck with only that option.

Thanks again for all of your help and taking the time to write!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts