Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I love the stereo in the SUV but found it was really lacking in bass. so I changed out the little sub box in the rear compartment from it's 2 4" ( although the cone is just over 2") to a 10 inch sub. I went to a local stereo shop to inquire about doing this and they said with a straight face it would be $2400... I checked out local buy and sell ( kijiji) and purchased a 10" rockford P3S sub so I could do a shallow mount that would hide where the previous "sub" was. I purchased a rockford R500X1D Mono amp since I was only powering a sub and no other speakers. I also had to purchase an amp wiring kit and a Rockford RPFEQU line converter. I had to buy an entire sheet of 5/8 mdf as our local stores don't sell it as anything less than that.. although I only ended up using just under 2'.
so for under $500 I was able to purchase everything needed.

It was a pain to do because of trying to tie into the wiring system ( if you remove the rear pillars to access the rear speakers your supposed to buy and replace the whole pillar according to the repair manuals). I removed the rear tub. rear seats and some of the parts around the tub. This will give you access to the amp. I initially tapped into the incoming connections on the amp for the line converter ( which turns on and off with the speakers rather than needing an acc wire tapped into) but it was not turning on. so I spliced into the amps outlet wires for the rear speakers and everything works. I had to build a custom box due to the dimensions.. and I'm mostly happy with it. I have the proper air volume for the sub but due to the tapered nature of the rear tub it looks a little small from the top. but I still have access to the jack etc.

Extremely happy with the upgrade. I have to dig back into it in the next couple of days so I can adjust the HZ the sub is using. it's still sending a little bit of the rear speaker sound through it so I can grab more pictures if I remember. The hardest part was actually getting the power wire run through the firewall. I tried for a couple of hours with just the tools I had in the garage before I lured a friend who has done stereo installs for years into helping me with that part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I love the stereo in the SUV but found it was really lacking in bass. so I changed out the little sub box in the rear compartment from it's 2 4" ( although the cone is just over 2") to a 10 inch sub. I went to a local stereo shop to inquire about doing this and they said with a straight face it would be $2400... I checked out local buy and sell ( kijiji) and purchased a 10" rockford P3S sub so I could do a shallow mount that would hide where the previous "sub" was. I purchased a rockford R500X1D Mono amp since I was only powering a sub and no other speakers. I also had to purchase an amp wiring kit and a Rockford RPFEQU line converter. I had to buy an entire sheet of 5/8 mdf as our local stores don't sell it as anything less than that.. although I only ended up using just under 2'.
so for under $500 I was able to purchase everything needed.

It was a pain to do because of trying to tie into the wiring system ( if you remove the rear pillars to access the rear speakers your supposed to buy and replace the whole pillar according to the repair manuals). I removed the rear tub. rear seats and some of the parts around the tub. This will give you access to the amp. I initially tapped into the incoming connections on the amp for the line converter ( which turns on and off with the speakers rather than needing an acc wire tapped into) but it was not turning on. so I spliced into the amps outlet wires for the rear speakers and everything works. I had to build a custom box due to the dimensions.. and I'm mostly happy with it. I have the proper air volume for the sub but due to the tapered nature of the rear tub it looks a little small from the top. but I still have access to the jack etc.

Extremely happy with the upgrade. I have to dig back into it in the next couple of days so I can adjust the HZ the sub is using. it's still sending a little bit of the rear speaker sound through it so I can grab more pictures if I remember. The hardest part was actually getting the power wire run through the firewall. I tried for a couple of hours with just the tools I had in the garage before I lured a friend who has done stereo installs for years into helping me with that part.
Thanks for blazing the trail. I was able to cram 2 x 10" Dayton Audio subwoofers into the rear compartment, with each sub getting 0.63 ft3 of air space. The box dimensions are 36" at the base, 38" at the top (tapered to fit into the compartment), 11.25" front to rear and 8" tall. I was able to remove the plastic guard around the Jack, then remove the frame that held the jack, and then I could use the full rectangular space. the jack is still stored in them same place, I just got rid of the Bracket it was mounted too. If you do this I recommend putting the bottom bolts back in as they open to the air if not screwed back in. I then made a new lid/frame to hold everything in place and fill the gap, and topped it with 12" Speaker Grills to protect the subs.

I used 1/2" birch for all sides, and a double baffle for the subs to mount to, so I could get the needed clearance behind these subs. It can be done, and it only cost me about $100 in parts.

If I need to access the Jack and tire release bolt, the whole box can slide up and out if needed.

Thanks again for showing us it was possible!

IMG_6024.jpg IMG_6041.jpg IMG_6039.jpg

Oh and one more thing. Sadly, the signal to the subwoofer is filtered at around 33~34hz! So if you want to hit low notes, at least with the 2017 Infiniti, you just wont be able to without replacing the head unit or doing something drastic (I'm not interested in that). But it definitely sucks when you throw high quality subs and lots of power only to have a signal filter literally prevent low bass. (If anyone knows how I can get the bass to my Line Output Converter so that it is NOT filtered at 34hz, that would be nice.) But hey this signal filter also means you can build a rather small box and you don't have to worry about struggling to hit low notes, because they will be filtered out anyway, LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you send me the specs for your box please? I recently purchased a 2017 and would like to upgrade the sub in the same way. That would be great. Thank you

james

1 - 4 of 4 Posts