Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this because the old Q7 was in our overall compairson with the QX60. Overall, style looks good on the old and better on the new vehicle, but technical gremlins are the reason I stayed away. The review states many continued Q7 technical issues (seems typical of German cars and very expensive to fix). Starting price is $55k.

Link

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I sold my QX60 to my father, it was so I could buy a 2016 XC90 First Edition. The Q7 photos came out the same time I ordered the XC90 FE and I thought the Q7 looked terrible, both inside and out. Too much like a station wagon and no suv. I've been absolutely enjoying my XC90 since May of 2015.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have a Volvo XC40 (2.5 liter turbo) wagon that we bought new 12 years ago. I still love that car, despite replacing 6 wheel bearings, and goofy stuff like that. When we were looking to replace the '13 Pathfinder, information on the new XC90's was just surfacing, availability was way out there. The XC90's 2.0 liter motor with a turbo charger AND a super charger just seemed too complex, I like to get get my power with displacement, not boost (my Chevelle has a 502). So we got the QX.

THEN, 4 months later, we decided to replace our F250 truck with its 460 motor (7.6 liters) as we didn't need a 250 any more, and the new F150's had some interesting technologies like... an all around camera. But in the top Platinum trim we wanted, it only came with Ford's Ecoboost motor, either 2.7 or 3.5 liters, each with twin turbos. What the heck, 3.5 liters in a traditional full size 4x4 crewcab truck??? We bought one, and it's pretty dang nice. It will blow the doors of the QX in a drag race, and gets nearly the same mileage (I've gotten 23mpg on the freeway). It's rated to tow 11,000lbs, so I guess the turbos work OK.

Which leads me to wonder, why didn't they put boosted motors in the QXs? If they can get good enough durability from a small motor to power a truck, it should be fine in a car (QX). I guess I am eating my words and changing how I feel about motor configurations! Makes me wonder what I would have chosen if I would have had the little motor with turbos experience when we were choosing the QX. But we like the QX, so all is well.

But an Audi? We never even looked at them. Too many maintenance horror stories.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My qx60 hybrid has boost ;) I agree that these technologies are very mature, reliable and under used. But their time is here while we figure out the electric/hybrid thing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I sold my QX60 to my father, it was so I could buy a 2016 XC90 First Edition. The Q7 photos came out the same time I ordered the XC90 FE and I thought the Q7 looked terrible, both inside and out. Too much like a station wagon and no suv. I've been absolutely enjoying my XC90 since May of 2015.
If you don't mind me asking, how old was your QX when you sold it and was something wrong with the vehicle (guessing not since you sold it to your father)?

I would have bought the new XC90 if available in 2012 (when shopping for the QX/JC. The older XC90 looked dated and I couldn't wait a few more years for the new model. The XC's outside and design is amazing, but mechanically the original XC's had some mechanical problems. I hope those don't pop-up in the newer design.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It seems that I like to buy cars with transmission problems. The XC70s used Aisin transmissions and are notorious for failures. I've been lucky with mine at 137K miles, but I changed the ATF regularly.

I plan to replace the ATF on the QX at around 5K, once all the break in stuff has broken off.

The only transmission I have that I trust is the 5speed Tremec I put in my Chevelle :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how old was your QX when you sold it and was something wrong with the vehicle (guessing not since you sold it to your father)?

I would have bought the new XC90 if available in 2012 (when shopping for the QX/JC. The older XC90 looked dated and I couldn't wait a few more years for the new model. The XC's outside and design is amazing, but mechanically the original XC's had some mechanical problems. I hope those don't pop-up in the newer design.
It was about 1 year 3 months. I agree, the original first generation XC from Volvo was dated when it ended in 2014 with a 12 year run I believe. It was kind of ground breaking at the time of initial release but certainly dated by the end. The new 2nd generation is IMO a thing of beauty inside and out and the technology inside when loaded is superb for the price.

I've had no mechanical issues this far, at 8,000 miles. They had a software update to address some software glitches that have been popping up but they affected odd things like XM channels not appearing, the screen bringing up the seat adjustment screen at startup randomly for a few seconds. I was kind of expecting software updates considering this is a whole new model but mechanically, knock on wood, no problems.

I've been getting real world MPG numbers of 27 pure highway and anywhere from 16-20 in the city depending on how lively I like to drive it. It is rated at 210 city but I like the boost I feel when getting on it so it does hurt at times. Still, the vehicle is peppy for being a 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder engine with a supercharger and turbocharger. And I get nearly the same highway mpg I got in my QX60 hybrid without the hybrid setup. And the 8 speed transmission is much welcomed over the cvt in the qx60.

As for problems with the QX60, none major as well or else I would have never sold it to my dad. I did have the battery go dead for no reason (no lights left on etc) and the dealership had no idea why. Then, two weeks ago, it happened to my father. Again, dealership scratched their heads. I also had it konk out at a light after the engine shut down (remember it is a hybrid) and it wouldn't restart without me shutting the vehicle off and on again but that has not, yet, happened to him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts